Reducing blood pressure (especially those who have)

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Reducing blood pressure (especially those who have)

Post by RobertB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi all,

I am on the upper end of blood pressure at age 27 - its not enough to medicate, but its a consistent 128>132 over a more reasonable 69>73.

I have been training aprox 18 months on decent routines and my diet has varied between above average to pretty solid. At the moment as I am aiming for specific strength goals for december it has become less ideal, adding lots of milk to my 3.5>4k cal balance to get there. Point being is; advice regarding diet is appreciated but it's not bad to start with.

I am now overweight by around the 8-12lbs mark at 218>220lbs (6'4 inches / 193cm) but with a 14.8% bodyfat - i.e. the weight is muscle (correct me if I'm wrong - a lower fat than average and higher weight I presume to mean its muscle mass)

I want to lower my bloodpressure from the 128>132 mark to a consistently below 125, ideally 122/123 and am wondering if anyone here has achieved lowering their blood pressure, if this is a reasonable goal and if you can advise me on the best steps.

The first things that come to mind are:
- Hit my strength goals for December/Jan - pat myself on the back, then lower my bodyweight back down to 205>210lbs
- Treat salt like poison (although it's not too common in my diet anyway), no pig products and so forth
- Lots more cardio, I am planning on biking from Dunkerque (France) to Amsterdam via Brugges in May so I am going to be training, but it's not the hardest route, so I can be reasonably casual with training (point being is, I can train to an ability well beyond that bike ride by May if I want to, could ensure I did 100>150 miles a week if I include work commuting)

What do you think of the above? did they work for you? any other pointers? - Lower my milk/sat fat? Lower carb?

I understand the net has some good resources but some of them make me run for the hills with their $h1t diet suggestions and advice aimed at those who aren't healthy already, I smoke maybe 5 joints a week which could be something I will reduce if need be - but it's not like I'm going through 10 smokes a day.

All advice welcome/appreciated of course, but people who have specifically done similar and can advise would be golden.

Thanks

Khronos8

Re: Reducing blood pressure (especially those who have)

Post by Khronos8 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:03 pm

My .02.

At 31 I was 140/90. Now, at 39 I'm 90/45, which is kind of scary for me. I dont know exactly what training combination worked for me, but I have my suspicions. My advice would be:

Stay away from the steady state cardio.
HIIT works
Try...
- sprints up hills
- 10 sets of 10 burpees
- barbell/dumbell/kettle bell complexes

Lift HEAVY. Especially squats and deadlift. Singles or doubles, heavy as you can. These put tremendous strain on your circulatory system (as well as your CNS). I believe the theory is that whatever the body does to adjust to this type of peak demand lowers your resting state blood pressure. But that's just something floating around in my grey matter, I read the studies somewhere (possibly even here), but I'd track them down if I was you.

As an aside, the low blood pressure that I currently have is problematic at times. When I lift heavy (squat and DL), when I put down the weight I have to find something to hold onto as my blood pressure plummets (vision starts going dim, sounds become muted). I just hold on until everything comes back. Never happened when I was properly pressurized.
Last edited by Khronos8 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:14 pm

90/45
The more you type the more I think you may not be human

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:23 pm

The Troll>>The Alien

Khronos8

Post by Khronos8 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Actually, Jungledoc, I'd like to know what your take on this is. I dont KNOW that those things helped me lower my blood pressure. I just think they did.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:57 pm

I think you're correct Kronos. Years back when I was wrestling, and going through some grueling workouts, I was clocking in around 99/50 something, without any problems. A few years after that, I got heavy, started eating garbage in the form of a lot of processed carbs, breads, pastas, etc and went way up there. The Doc prescribed some meds for me, but quite honestly, I didn't want anything to do with them, I don't recommend going against Doc's orders, but I just went back to a lowered carb thing, sticking with basically meat, fibrous veg, some fruits, and worked out with a combination of quicker paced stuff similar to complexes, and some heavier lower rep stuff. Also, I eliminated any alcohol. Shot me right back down to lower levels.
Tim

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:59 pm

The Troll>>The Alien
:laughing2:

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Like Khronos, mine is 140/90 at 26 years of age....

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:07 am

I've trained squats/deads at 1/3/5 RM for a long time so I can't really add that - Can't say I sprint much but I have been hitting the hills on my bike - I'll get the miles in initially (I need them for my trip anyway) but add some sprinting in there too - maybe attack the hills like a nutter :)

You lost me on the troll>alien part Doc

So Tim I guess it's complexes and cleaner diet time

any pointers on the weight reduction peeps? (i.e. is that definately one to do, don't really want to go below 210 but will do if it is healthier for me)

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:34 am

The usual "rule of thumb" is that for a sedentary person, exercise can lower BP about 10 points. That's about equivalent to many medicines. So a sedentary person who requires one medicine can reasonably expect to get off their meds if they start exercising. If they require 2 meds, it's iffy. 3 or more, you may reduce your meds, but getting off all meds isn't a reasonable expectation.

However you are in a little different situation, with a BP that is still in the "normal" range, but higher than expected at your age. You don't really know that it will rise as you age, but it might. If it does, get it down by whatever means you can. None of the BP meds currently in use is more harmful than high BP. And the younger it starts to rise, the more urgent it is to control it, because you presumably have more years of life for damage to accumulate than you would if you were older when it went up.

There is less information around about resistance exercise and BP. Most of what is known is affected by the prejudice toward aerobic exercise. Most of the recommendations out there are for "cardio" in the range of 30 minutes, 5 times a week. I don't know of studies of the affects of resistance exercise on BP, but I haven't done a MedLine search, either.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:25 am

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/weights-for-hbp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worth a read :thumbright:

KPj

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:19 am

Jungledoc wrote:And the younger it starts to rise, the more urgent it is to control it, because you presumably have more years of life for damage to accumulate than you would if you were older when it went up.
What kind of "damage" that can accumulate because of high BP, doc?

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:38 am

Paperclip wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:And the younger it starts to rise, the more urgent it is to control it, because you presumably have more years of life for damage to accumulate than you would if you were older when it went up.
What kind of "damage" that can accumulate because of high BP, doc?
Well, I am not a doctor, but this story scared the bejeezus out of me, kind of close to home:

A couple of years ago I called my Mom and her phone was disconnected due to non-payment. Huh? Mom was always scrupulous about her bills. Turns out she could not figure out how the checkbook worked anymore, and was ashamed to tell me.

It took us awhile to figure out what was going on, but the diagnosis was vascular dementia, as a result of semi-uncontrolled high blood pressure (she took medicine, but it was not adjusted for too long). Very tiny mini-strokes in the brain accumulated to the point where she could not figure out how her checkbook worked anymore, got lost easily, etc.

We had one dissenting opinion, that it was something else, but the doctor who made the diagnosis of dementia provides very thorough medical care (kind of a rarity these days) and that's what we still believe it is.

I actually started lifting shortly after all of this.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:51 am

Wow that's kind of scary, Ken. Is stroke more related to blood lipid profile, blood pressure, or both?

I feel getting mentally slower as I age lol but I hope that isn't true. I need to recheck my blood pressure.

BTW I hope that your mother is doing well.

PS: this made me think about taking AAS because they increase your BP.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:16 am

High blood pressure is a risk factor for coronary artery disease (heart attacks and angina), stroke, vascular blindness, kidney failure, aortic dissection, dementia, peripheral artery disease (poor circulation to the legs), and lots of less common things.