Reducing blood pressure (especially those who have)

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Reducing blood pressure (especially those who have)

Post by Paperclip » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks for the info, doc!

BTW my father got a heart attack once.

Edit:
Sorry for asking again, doc, does high blood pressure have any relation to high blood lipid concentration (I don't know if that's the correct term, I'm talking about cholesterol, triglyceride, and the likes).

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:20 am

Robert B

Something that helped me was fish oil, It might not work for you but it certainly doesn't hurt to add it to your diet.

Good luck

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 am

RobertB wrote:You lost me on the troll>alien part Doc
he likes to amuse Dog_Mom

I was surprised to be 120/90
Having gone 15 yrs between checks.
Reminds me to get out that Life Insurance test and see what is was back then.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Paperclip wrote:Thanks for the info, doc!

Edit:
Sorry for asking again, doc, does high blood pressure have any relation to high blood lipid concentration (I don't know if that's the correct term, I'm talking about cholesterol, triglyceride, and the likes).
Sorry I forgot to answer that. The relationship is that both are risks for many of the same things, especially heart disease and stroke. There is a familial component to heart attack and stroke risk as well. Tobacco use increases both as well. It all adds up. So if you reduce your high BP a bit, decrease the bad lipids a bit, stop using tobacco and trade in your ancestors for some healthier ones, you can lower your own risk quite a bit.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
Paperclip wrote:Thanks for the info, doc!

Edit:
Sorry I forgot to answer that. The relationship is that both are risks for many of the same things, especially heart disease and stroke. There is a familial component to heart attack and stroke risk as well. Tobacco use increases both as well. It all adds up. So if you reduce your high BP a bit, decrease the bad lipids a bit, stop using tobacco and trade in your ancestors for some healthier ones, you can lower your own risk quite a bit.
Recalling the "You're still going to die thread". As we do our best to lower the risk of dieing from Heart Attack or Stroke, we inevitably our increasing our chances of dieing from something else, and contracting diabilitating conditions. Sometimes is liue of dimentia and cancer, I'm striving for a massive heart attack. Sometimes.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:20 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:90/45
The more you type the more I think you may not be human
If he is 5'8", 280 lbs, sinks like a stone in the pool, and never used steroids (looking like he's a cutting phase away from competing for Mr. Olympia), then he's not human....well not a homo sapien....he could be another hominid from this planet. Maybe if he is an unusually intelligent neanderthal......

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:28 am

oh. :thin:

it's on?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:19 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:...
Recalling the "You're still going to die thread". As we do our best to lower the risk of dieing from Heart Attack or Stroke, we inevitably our increasing our chances of dieing from something else, and contracting diabilitating conditions. Sometimes is liue of dimentia and cancer, I'm striving for a massive heart attack. Sometimes.
Oscar, it's not inevitable, although with cholesterol, as you TC goes down, you risk of dying from causes other than heart attack go up. The point where all cause mortality is lowest is considered high in some circles. I think what's more important is why you cholesterol is where it is. If you exercise properly and eat properly, your cholesterol will find it's natural balance. If you attempt to bring it down artificially with drugs, it's like taking the battery out of a smoke detector. However, some things, like BP and triglycerides, the risks associated with being too high far outweigh the risk of too low. But for everything there is a balance.

Khronos8

Post by Khronos8 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:20 pm

@Ironman: That's hilarious :lol: ! In addition to my other sobriquets I have also been referred to as "the missing link", or simply "link". As for being a highly intelligent hominid... I hold a Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry, which is pretty good even for a homo sapien (though I am most definitely NOT homo habilis, not handy at all... unless you want something heavy moved).

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:24 am

Khronos8 wrote:@Ironman: That's hilarious :lol: ! In addition to my other sobriquets I have also been referred to as "the missing link", or simply "link". As for being a highly intelligent hominid... I hold a Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry, which is pretty good even for a homo sapien (though I am most definitely NOT homo habilis, not handy at all... unless you want something heavy moved).
Well they have found evidence of neanderthal genes in human genetics. I think there may have been other evidence of interbreeding as well. So you never know, you may have just ended up with a lot of that in your DNA. I know I ended with the neanderthal brow ridges.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:48 am

Khronos8 wrote:@Ironman: That's hilarious :lol: ! In addition to my other sobriquets I have also been referred to as "the missing link", or simply "link". As for being a highly intelligent hominid... I hold a Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry, which is pretty good even for a homo sapien (though I am most definitely NOT homo habilis, not handy at all... unless you want something heavy moved).
So, it's "Dr. Link". I'll remember that.

Khronos8

Post by Khronos8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:00 am

Yeah, just not the kind of Dr. that did anybody any good.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:35 pm

Khronos8 wrote:Yeah, just not the kind of Dr. that did anybody any good.
Organic chemists do people good. It's just harder to see the connection between the work and the good.

They have always kept the riff-raff out of medical schools. Anything less than an A in undergrad organic is a death-knell for a person's chances of getting in.