Your percentage and reps guidelines

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Khronos8

Re: Your percentage and reps guidelines

Post by Khronos8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:07 am

The guide I go back to again and again is Prilephin's table.

http://www.angelfire.com/pe/txpls/prilephin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 am

I'll let you know once I get an idea of my 1RM
And after that, presuming I'm motivated? to find out how many reps I can squeeze acrsss various percentages of that 1RM.

You may want to scratch me from consideration, if not already.

I'm with Ken on the volume stuff being mental and quite difficult to quantify... I mean rest time between reps can make diff.. When is rest not considered within the set? 5x10 empty bar wears my fat butt out.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote: I'm with Ken on the volume stuff being mental and quite difficult to quantify... I mean rest time between reps can make diff.. When is rest not considered within the set? 5x10 empty bar wears my fat butt out.
True, rest between sets is a big factor. That's why BB training is so exhausting for me (maybe I should lower the percentages when training BB style). "Rest", or holding the weight, between reps is also a big one, but for most cases it's assumed that you don't "take your time" between reps.

I think people will naturally know their own basic guidelines provided that they know and train their 1RM.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Kenny, I'm not sure I know my body well enough yet to train like that.
Jungledoc,

God, The Man and The Flood

You are like the man in the flood that climb up on the roof of his house. A row boat, motor boat and helicopter come at differnt times to save him.

Each time the man tell them to go away, God will save him.

The man drowns and goes to heaven. He ask God, "Why did you let me drownd?"

God replies, I sent two boats and a helicopter for you.

Recognizing The Signals

You trained long enough to have to pretty much know when you go more in the tank and less. You just need learn to recognize the signals...other wise you end up drowning like the man above.

Having a plan (that's based on percentages of a more-or-less arbitrary "training max" at least gives me a place to start. I love 5/3/1, but there are days that it doesn't work. I know that if I lift today, I'll either have to just use lighter than planned weights, or be stapled. There have been days lately that I've gone way over the reps on the last set. 5/3/1 at least allows the flexibility of doing more or just the minimum on the last set. The problem is that on days when I'm not as strong as other days, I sometimes can't make even the planned reps, and I leave the gym feeling like a weak old failure.
Arbritrary Training Max

Great way of putting it. Using percentages is fine as long as you realize it is a ball park figure and allow for a plus or minus variance.

Good Days

Your training max is up, which means you can push up your training weight/percentage.

Bad Days

As the saying goes, "He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day."

On days when your max is down, get in and out...allow yourself to recover for the next workout.

You've got a good handle on it already.

Kenny Croxdale

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks, Kenny.

Where do you live? Do you train clients in a private gym, or are you a strength coach at a college?