Back, new questions, new results and just a simple hello

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Immortal

Back, new questions, new results and just a simple hello

Post by Immortal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Hey guys, I know its been ages since I have last posted on this forum and I do apologize greatly. I have had a lot of things to do lately college has been hectic so having time for the computer is hard. But now that I have everything settled I can start posting regularly again. Recently i switched to a full body routine in order to not spend so much time at the gym. I still however push it very hard whenever Im in the gym which is now usually Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

My workout in the past 3 months was as follows.

Squats 4 X 10, 2 X 8, 1 X3
Deadlifts 3X5
Dumbell Bench Press 2X10
Lat Row machine 2 X 10
Lat Pull down 2 X 10
Incline dumbell 2 X 10
Leg Extensions 1-2 X 10
Leg Curls 1-2 X 10
Military press 2 X8
(sometimes pull ups to max at the end)
Now I know this is a ridiculously organized workout but it was my first real go at full body therefore I was a bit naive with the choices and the set and rep ranges. As you all know, I love to squat so that is always my priority which is why I have it first. Now doing this workout, I saw that the extra fat I put on from doing split routines literally went down by a whole lot in the first 5 weeks. I went from 163 pounds to 154 pounds give or take some water weight. My deadlift went up a good 50 pounds and my squat gained 10 pounds. My dumbbell pressing went up as well by only about 10 pounds and 5 pounds on the incline (really gotta work these out). What I noticed was I had a lot more stamina as I was able to do 20 reps with weights I could only do 10 reps for on the squat which is always a plus. But one thing I noticed is that I wasn't as bulked up as I was while on splits. I don't know if this is the effect of a full body workout or my choices for the routine. For example my arms weren't as big but they were a tad more "cut". I assume this is simple because I burned off fat because I haven't seen any weakness in them. Ok enough ranting now onto my questions. Has my workout been good for the last 3 months? What major changes do you guys think I should make? Also what is your opinion on changing up to a 5 X 5 Full body routine with the same exercises? Thank you in advance for all replies!

nygmen

Re: Back, new questions, new results and just a simple hello

Post by nygmen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Immortal wrote: I saw that the extra fat I put on from doing split routines literally went down by a whole lot in the first 5 weeks.
I"m going to go out on a limb and say that your fat gain had about 1,000x more to do with your caloric intake than it did what routine you were doing.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Immortal wrote:Hey guys, I know its been ages since I have last posted on this forum and I do apologize greatly.
Yeah we've heard this before.
You can't keep leaving us like this.
We have feelings.

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8336&p=69892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Immortal wrote:I know I havent been on here in awhile and I apologize for that.
Oscar_Actuary wrote:apology accepted
Oscar_Actuary wrote:I'll let you know on May 30th...
oops. I forgot.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:53 pm

sorry :( I got college... and ya I just realized it could be calorie intake cause my diet sucks in college. theres nothing to eat there that is remotely good for muscles in buffet cept for vegetables which dont pack on calories. Come to think of it, I barely ate breakfast, al i had was peanuts and a banana to last me 4 hours then another banana then workout then a a burger for dinner with some fries and vegetables on the side. I drank muscle milk from time to time. It sucks but i work with what i got and I cant always go to the diner and buy eggs roast beef cause that adds up to a lot of money, and usually ill try to make hard boiled eggs whenever im home to go but im usually not home for 2 weeks at a time at the least. o wow good catch, didnt even think about that, but what do u think of the workout itself?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:36 pm

You've been doing it for 3 months
Who here can tell you, better than you if it's effective?

Personally, I see no glaring problems with it, aside from being boring to do the same thing every time.
I'd say its too much heavy work on back and legs if you are squatting and pulling a lot of weight. But, maybe you're swtivh up and using light weight somer times. It's seems balanced enough.

But I do back to is it meeting your needs and are you progressing?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:40 am

"Squats 4 X 10, 2 X 8, 1 X3"

Is this the order you do them in? You might do better to reverse the order. Warmup, do your low reps, then your volume work. You should be able to get more intensity out of the low rep set and be able to make the volume work more effective.

Immortal

Post by Immortal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:06 am

I cannot complain about the progress i have made actually, and doc I honestly only do my high reps first because I feel like the higher reps actually give me a nice pump for when i do the low reps. Also I have tried doing lower reps first and I believe my difference in maxes from doing them first compared to doing them last is about 15 to 25 pounds. however, in the past week and a half I have switched over to doing deep squats where you go well below paralel and Ive noticed that doing high reps with deep squats is extremely taxing. By the time I get to low reps, it seems Im already fatigued so just by this i might cut out a couple of high rep sets until my body gets accustomed to deep squating because I will tell you that it is like a completely different exercise. Even 275 is hard for the deep squat. Paralel (ass to chair) my best max for 1 has been 375. Deep Squatting however cut off a good amount of weight off my max.(probably around 60 pounds). srry bout the rant.