High Pulls

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

High Pulls

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:53 pm

I’m going to be adding more upper back and delt work. (Hanging) High Pulls, Shrugs, and Rear Delt BB Rows, (along with already Lateral DB rows, Assisted Chin/PullUps, Inverted Rows, Db Rows) will be in the mix.

I’m trying to watch all video and read about High Pulls and have practiced a few reps.

Any specific advice on how to make sure I don’t get hurt, particular, elbows, shoulder, lower back, or other areas I’m forgetting? I want to add an explosive movement, but want to cover bases with those who may have done or read more than I.

Adding more upper back because it seems to impact lots of stuff, as you know: Presses , Pull Ups, Squats (my chest caving), Dead lock outs (not my weakness at the moment), and RDL is wher I notice it first. I get fatigued holding the bar esp when leaning forward.

Btw, I decided against Rack Pulls, after reading and practicing. Seems not appropriate at my level, with Deadlift still increasing steadily and not comfortable maxing to extremes, while trying to set up to isolate the back, more or less with heavy ass weight.. comment?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Re: High Pulls

Post by TimD » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Oscar, high pulls with various grip widths are great for what you are looking for. To start with , I'd recommend Starr's power shrug, power pull or whatever name he gave it. You're going to need your rack for this. Position the bar , as you're standing, just above knee level. This would be a similar position to the rack lockout. Grab bar with butt back. That's the start. control the bar off the rack, then kick your hips into the movement, hard, and try to jump up the weight, THEN, after the kick jump, squeeze up the traps hard. No real reason to bend the arms consciously, they will bend due to momentum. Do NOT try to catch the bar at the top, just hang on to the bar and with palms on top of the bar, control it down to the safety bar. Get familiar with this movement with lighter weights at the start. What you do NOT want is the bar to come crashing down and roll right back into you.
Tim

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:24 pm

high pulls are the business, you'll have loads of fun.

It's quite a good exercise I think to teach yourself the jumping shrug you need in all Olympic lifts. Once you get comfortable with high pulls learn to power snatch. There is no exercise more fun than the power snatch.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Tim,

so, I'll need to read more about power shrugs, but are you recommending them as a starter before attempting the High Pull, or are the essentially a variation of the high pull?
And, do I do them in a rack because we'll be using more weight and no reason to hold the weight between reps?

Oh, and so far a bit I read said Straps are important for these, due to high velocity. But, meh, I dont have those and sorta dont want to worry about'em.
?

I look forward to most anything weightlifting related nowadays

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Here's some infor on power shrugs: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weigh ... ost4712284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Stu, I'd actually recommend the high pulls from the floor, but, unless I misread Oscar's post, he wanted to do them from the hang. That's why I recommended Starr's power pull. In Starr's book, he had them doing them from the rack, for the simple reason that the true power shrug was above max clean or DL weight. And yes, straps highly recommended. In Starr's H, M, L system (one of them, but the one in the book) it was Power clean light, high pull medium, and power shrug heavy.
Tim

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 am

You'll not get hurt.... but your traps will be sore. I think pulls is one of the best traps builder.

For starters, about 30-40% of your deadlift is a good weight in to pick when using snatch grip in my opinion. For clean grip, you can use 40-50%. This might not apply to elite lifters who already have massive deadlift numbers.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:03 am

High Pulls are very fun, you can use a good bit of weight on them.
But don't do them the day before or after deadlifts/squats.
Your lower back needs rest.

I'd always thought that high pulls were from the hang.

Paperclip
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Paperclip » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:17 am

Wouter wrote:High Pulls are very fun, you can use a good bit of weight on them.

Does it come from your personal experience? From my experience, it's okay to pull and squat in the same session even, like olympic weightlifters do, because the load on the lower back is not that high.

Deadlifts wreck my lower back..., but I almost never deadlift nowadays.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Paperclip wrote:
Wouter wrote:High Pulls are very fun, you can use a good bit of weight on them.

Does it come from your personal experience? From my experience, it's okay to pull and squat in the same session even, like olympic weightlifters do, because the load on the lower back is not that high.

Deadlifts wreck my lower back..., but I almost never deadlift nowadays.
Yeah, on the same day it's no problem to do both squats/ deadlifts and high pulls.
But consecutive days are problematic, at least for me.