Why don't we attract more quality members?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Why don't we attract more quality members?

Post by KPj » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:33 am

I started off here a clueless and stubborn newbie. I can remember the names Tim mentioned, particularly Scott (Ismari, I believe), and I just asked questions regarding my own problems as well as asking questions about things that just didn't make sense to me.

I remember speaking to a very successful entrepreneur and he was giving me advice on communication in general, and said something I'll never forget, "sometimes, the most stupid of questions is the smartest question". He was talking about the need to understand exactly what the customer or potential customer was saying. Always ask them to explain if you don't quite understand what they mean, no matter how "stupid" you may feel the question is. I think the difference here is, a newbie will never be made to feel "stupid" or inferior.

One thing I really get benefit from on here just now IS the "newbie questions". I've only really just started my journey as a trainer. One thing I felt great about was, just about any question I have ever been asked in the gym, has already been asked, discussed and debated (sometimes repeatedly) on here. So i'm loaded with instant responses to almost anything that would trouble a newbie in "real life". They just come out without thinking. Also, sometimes a newbies perspective is refreshing. Sometimes a newbies question will genuinely make me take a step back and think, "wait a minute... I never thought about it like that....hmmm". So I feel as well as getting info and advice here, and "giving back" to newbies the way I was helped, the newbies also help me.

If you don't get answers directly from members here, you almost always get pointed in the right direction to find them, which is another thing I loved about it when I joined. This forum was like my "filter" before I was experienced enough to develop my own (which is still being developed). In comparison to other forums I think the main thing is there are no egos, no one feels the need to have anything to prove i.e. well I think you should do X and Y because I pull A squat B and bench C, so I am right! It's really a "take it or leave it" kind of set up i.e "here's what I think, do what you please with it".

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:01 am

For the newest, the new members' rank "Unconfirmed Spammer" came up because we had a lot of spammers around the time that Ironman set up the rank system. So originally it was a bit of a joke about the fact that most of the new people who showed up were really spammers. The assumption was that if a newcomer would stick around for a few posts, the chances were very low that they were spammers. It was funny at the time, but I see how it is a bit unwelcoming.

There were some big spam messes around that time, a lot more than now. One guy got on, apparently angry because IM had banned him for spamming previously, and he posted hundreds of silly, nonsense posts to all of the forums over night. IM spent hours fixing things.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:52 am

I also support changing the "Unconfirmed Spammer" title. I know a few new people with potentially a lot to offer were flamed when they arrived. One left, one of our few women visitors. The default position should be that we welcome new people, then ignore and ban them if the turn out to be spammers. That little red exclamation point button allows you to mark a post as spam. I suggest we use that instead of spam icons.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:00 am

Mr Ward, you are way too civil. I’ve been guilty of harassing potential spammers and may have been wrong, on occasion. Somewhere in me though, I say those who would leave for something I’d say, are not staying long any ways??? Or maybe that just helps me sleep at night.
So, I hope the fact that I really like this board is evident. Putting up with being called a troll by a bunch of cartoons is just a days work. I’m not disparaging any members or trying to split who is quality (after all, I’d give me a 3/10 for quality, maybe 7/10 for effort). I was really just interested in options for why more people were not members here. And given the quality we would attract, than by extension the question became “more quality members”, which some initially misinterpreted to mean I thought we had less than our fair share of quality per member.

I have nothing but good thoughts for 90% of the posters. Only a few odd Europeans come to mind a slightly .. well you know… they just have their own emphasis. Thank you ignore button. Thinking here, its like we have a Legion of Iron, with representatives appointed for various categories. Other than the aforementioned risk of little variance of opinions, this serves as a great way to learn, w/o distraction from bro science.

It’s important to establish who knows what and why. Books? Under the Bar? Experience with Program? Diet? ?otherwise, you have guys like me answering 80% of posts with drivel, parroting, or minimal experience. However, for two of those reasons, it serves to help me learn too. As long as it’s clear we rookies are not speaking from authority. I’m more humble than you may think

Where was I?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:03 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:...Where was I?
Are you off your meds again?

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:22 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Mr Ward, you are way too civil. I’ve been guilty of harassing potential spammers and may have been wrong, on occasion. Somewhere in me though, I say those who would leave for something I’d say, are not staying long any ways??? Or maybe that just helps me sleep at night.
So, I hope the fact that I really like this board is evident. Putting up with being called a troll by a bunch of cartoons is just a days work. I’m not disparaging any members or trying to split who is quality (after all, I’d give me a 3/10 for quality, maybe 7/10 for effort). I was really just interested in options for why more people were not members here. And given the quality we would attract, than by extension the question became “more quality members”, which some initially misinterpreted to mean I thought we had less than our fair share of quality per member.

I have nothing but good thoughts for 90% of the posters. Only a few odd Europeans come to mind a slightly .. well you know… they just have their own emphasis. Thank you ignore button. Thinking here, its like we have a Legion of Iron, with representatives appointed for various categories. Other than the aforementioned risk of little variance of opinions, this serves as a great way to learn, w/o distraction from bro science.

It’s important to establish who knows what and why. Books? Under the Bar? Experience with Program? Diet? ?otherwise, you have guys like me answering 80% of posts with drivel, parroting, or minimal experience. However, for two of those reasons, it serves to help me learn too. As long as it’s clear we rookies are not speaking from authority. I’m more humble than you may think

Where was I?
Referring to the spammer icon... and talking about quality members the funny thing is you consider yourself a rookir or someone who doesn't know much mainly replying with drivel.... but yet your exrx.net title is advanced? LOL

I have been training for years and am going to school for my personal training degree and ace cert and will have many more here shortly. All im saying is that wether you post your first time your your 5000th time. Your knowledge is what you have in your head and a title that is given to you by how many posts you have posted is pointless.

When your referring to time under the bar I would have to guess and say tim is number one there. He is of course the man. I have been lifting for....13 almost 14 years now and NOW its really taking shape. People think im jacked make muscle jokes all the time etc but over the internet anyone can say they are what they want to be.

I believe if someone is an unconfirmed spammer we shoudl treat them like they are. A human being. We should take their opinion as it is but if they can't take some joking or what not maybe they need to grow a pair? I actually thought it to be quite funny when i first seen that. Anyways in general this site is QUALITY I have been coming here for years and recommend this site to anyone and everyone. BTW I have my own site now guys and I'M NOT SPAMMING but check it out if you want http://www.liveasahero.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's in developmental stage but its going to be amazing.

john

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:29 pm

will your website go away every few months and come back under a new pseudonym?

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:41 pm

I also support changing the "Unconfirmed Spammer" title. I know a few new people with potentially a lot to offer were flamed when they arrived. One left, one of our few women visitors. The default position should be that we welcome new people, then ignore and ban them if the turn out to be spammers. That little red exclamation point button allows you to mark a post as spam. I suggest we use that instead of spam icons.
I have an opposite opinion (call me mean others do) Flaming is one thing but a label of unconfirmed spammer should not really bother any serious person. Call it the gauntlet:-)

What I think is more of an issue is the other labels. I am new to lifting but based on my starts because I post often someone may think I know what I am talking about. Ranking should be about lifting experience not how many posts.

And Ocscar by referring to quality I hope you mean committed people not experienced people.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:54 pm

The_dog_mom wrote:
And Ocscar by referring to quality I hope you mean committed people not experienced people.
sarcasm]I mean people who are willing to put Exrx above all, family, work, religion. [/sarcasm]
No, as I’ve tried to say, our quality quotient in high. Our numbers and total particiaption are a bit lowe for such an awesome board.
Can someone host a reading comprehension course?
Book knowledge should trump post count. Experience should trump book knowledge. Results should trump both. But a mix of all in some proportion makes sense. Feel free to relable me.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:will your website go away every few months and come back under a new pseudonym?

Hahaha the website stays. I myself am a very busy person and have at time not been able to access the internet. As of now and for the next 8 months I HAVE to have internet access. So my videos of me training people my extreme cardio and conditioning courses with corless will become more advanced and just a great idea to help others get into better shape. It seems now adays everyone is a youtube fanatic and that is what were going to be working through.

Thanks oscar you're the man.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:53 pm

Very cool John. I'll check it out when I get home and have access to videos.

Advanced Member just means over 1000 posts, it says nothing about training time, experience or knowlege. At the other extreme, you have guys like Extremistpullup and Christianiron.com that are listed as novice or rookie but they're far from it.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:06 pm

Advanced Member just means over 1000 posts, it says nothing about training time, experience or knowlege. At the other extreme, you have guys like Extremistpullup and Christianiron.com that are listed as novice or rookie but they're far from it..
My point exactly. A new person who does not know this may look at the reliability of advice based on that which is not always the case as you point out.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:38 pm

1. Internets been around awhile. Most folks realize post count means less of a life, not valuable information

2. post count is objective

3. How are you going to reliably gauge experience / knowledge / results ?

Say, post a video and take this quiz?

I'm with you in theory, but its just reader beware, and give it the smell test and ymmv, and all those other cliches

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:33 pm

The titles are just something that can be treated as fun, and shouldn't be taken seriously. That's why I proposed Stephen's unique rank. He doesn't post in proportion to his knowledge, so the rank he'd otherwise have wouldn't tell you anything. Then IM gave Kenny C a unique rank as well, for the same reason.

I have the highest post count here, but that just proves I tend to speak up on the least provocation. I'm gaining some knowledge and some experience, but there are a lot of folks here who are way ahead of me in book knowledge, experience, good judgement and results. When IM set up the ranks, it was just for fun.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:08 pm

love the sig Doc.