Chin ups x as many as possible
Kettlebell Swings (I used a dumbbell yesterday) x 30
Split Stance Forward Cable Press x 10
Roll Outs into Pike Position (feet on a foam roll) x 7

Rest 90 sec and repeat for 3 circuits

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: Found this workout what do you think?

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:39 am

A good workout if your goal is general conditioning with some cardio benefit. But it won't get you closer to the lift goals that you list with your signature.

Are you taling a break from that?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:13 am

You could use something like that as a warmup or a light day but I wouldn't do it to "as many as possible". Maybe do half that volume with light weight. Like Stephan said, it won't make you stronger but there are general conditioning benefits. Roll Outs into Pike Position need to be a distant goal that you work up to. Attampting these without working up to them could leave you sore for the rest of the week.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:32 am

I have been trying to add some extra stuff at the end of my workout and on my "off" days.

Today I went to the gym and all of the racks were taken so I have to improvise. I usually do some tabata on Friday but I did this today and will do my scheduled lifts tomorrow

complex with 30# 15 reps each exercise:

OH press
Bench press
skull crunchers
curls
then I drop the weight and did
DL with 90# for 15 reps.

I did this 5x and it seems like it kicked my butt.

I really enjoyed the DL and am wondering if I can skip squats and do only DL:-)

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:37 am

How about lunges + deadlifts?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:42 am

The_dog_mom wrote:I have been trying to add some extra stuff at the end of my workout and on my "off" days.
Be careful about doing too much exercise on your off days - it mught interfere with your developing strength.

Exercise plants the seeds, but you get stronger outside the gym (while you're resting and eating), not in it.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Be careful about doing too much exercise on your off days - it might interfere with your developing strength.

Exercise plants the seeds, but you get stronger outside the gym (while you're resting and eating), not in it.
I work out only 4x per week and only do major lifts on Monday and Thursday so I doubt I do too much. I am trying to lose a bit of weight because my pants don't fit and I don't want to buy new ones. I am trying to do this without compromising my lifting.

What i am doing seems to be working because my lifting is actually getting better and I have lost 3 lbs. I only want to lose 5 more.

My comment about DL was I wish I could ditch squats forever I hate them they hurt! But I won't

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:20 pm

The_dog_mom wrote:
Be careful about doing too much exercise on your off days - it might interfere with your developing strength.

I work out only 4x per week and only do major lifts on Monday and Thursday so I doubt I do too much. I am trying to lose a bit of weight because my pants don't fit and I don't want to buy new ones. I am trying to do this without compromising my lifting.

What i am doing seems to be working because my lifting is actually getting better and I have lost 3 lbs. I only want to lose 5 more.

My comment about DL was I wish I could ditch squats forever I hate them they hurt! But I won't
Squats are amazing. You can do isolation work to help your squat strength. Leg extensions leg curls etc. You can do good morning for your hamstrings... but that hits the hammies hard.

You can do lunges as well i recommend a heavier than you would go weight just make sure its something you can do. When I'm at the gym I do what I call walking lunges every other week take like 65 lb dbells then do lunges but walking forward almost touching my knees to the ground but not touching them and walking forward great for balance although people look at me like im nuts cause most people use 20 lb dbells... I don't get it but lunges sculpt your legs they are awesome.

Also you can do squat variations too front squats deep squats you can do wide leg sqauts... etc etc etc

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:09 pm

The_dog_mom wrote:I work out only 4x per week and only do major lifts on Monday and Thursday so I doubt I do too much. I am trying to lose a bit of weight because my pants don't fit and I don't want to buy new ones. I am trying to do this without compromising my lifting.
OK - you know your training and recovery better than I do.

It's hard to gain strength while losing weight, however. It can be done - but it isn't easy.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:31 pm

I am wondering if my pants are tight due to muscle increase if that's the case then I should just buy new pants. I don;t feel fat but have put on abut 8 lbs and the legs of my pants are tight.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Diana, not exactly sure of the biologicals of how this happens, but it happens to me all the time. I go into a fat loss routine, using a lot of squats and O lifting pulling movements, and the quads and hips get alot stronger, but INITIALLY get larger and kind of suck up water into the muscles, making them larger to an extent. It's not a bad thing, and eventually evens out

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:03 pm

are you cinching your belts more?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Diana--squats shouldn't hurt! They are a great exercise, though. Figure out why they hurt. Substitute other things for them while you are figuring it out. It's time for some unilateral work, perhaps.

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Diana, not exactly sure of the biologicals of how this happens, but it happens to me all the time. I go into a fat loss routine, using a lot of squats and O lifting pulling movements, and the quads and hips get alot stronger, but INITIALLY get larger and kind of suck up water into the muscles, making them larger to an extent. It's not a bad thing, and eventually evens out
Yea I seem to absorb all the water I drink in my thighs, go figure.

Doc:
it is a burning sensation in my groin even at night in bed after I squat. DL are OK (love love love them) and I have been doing lunges. If I don’t go deep on the squat I am ok. I stay about 1-2 inches above parallel. I have always had groin issues even when I was a kid, no one has ever found a cause. I hate to back off my squat becasue I won't get to my goal.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:20 pm

If you don't back off you may never get to your goal!

How is your knee position on the squat? Knees straight in line with your feet? How wide a stance do you use? If fairly wide, try bringing it in a little.

I'd love to hear KPj's comments on this.