Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Mini mahouse
Novice
Novice

Pull ups everyday

Post by Mini mahouse » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:53 am

Hey guys.
What are your opinions in doing like 3 sets of pullups everyday? Not going to failure.

I dont know the word in english, but my shoulders are alitle to much forward.
Do you know what I am talking about? I was told pull ups can really fix it.
And ofcaurse I just want a nice back.

I am doing 5/3/1 workout, 4 times a week.

Would doing 3 sets of maybe 6 pullups everyday do me any harm? In recovery.

Was thinking about something like this:
Week 1: 3x6
week 2: 3x7
week 3: 3x8

etc etc.

Stop uppering it tho when it gets to hard, since i dont want to be doing to failure on every day.

stuward

Re: Pull ups everyday

Post by stuward » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:18 am

Chad Waterbury wrote an article a little while ago on his experiment with everyday chin ups. He seemed to think it had value. Chinups/pull ups will certain help your shoulder rounding by strengthening your back. You want to get high on the bar so that your chin is well past the bar. Ideally you get to the point that your chest touches the bar. That focusses the effort on your back and not your arms. If it's too hard to do them that way, using a resistance band under your feet can help.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 am

I would test it for few weeks or more, then you'll see if it suits your workout. There is always the possibility that your training more than your body can handle, and you can't recover enough before the next workout. Daily pull-ups combined with strong arm/back training can do that if the intensity and volume are right. But it's very personal and depends from lots of things, like diet and such. Try it out, that way I always handle with things like these.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:53 am

i think it's a great idea, as long as you're not going anywhere near failure. Our own beloved TimD has been doing pull ups and push ups every day for probably longer than I've been alive.

I don't think it would be a good idea for lifts that have a lot of spinal loading, like deadlifts or squats, but for bodyweight stuff like pull ups, push ups, bodyweight squats, lunges etc I think it'll have a whole load of benefits.

Mini mahouse
Novice
Novice

Post by Mini mahouse » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:30 pm

Great, I'll give it a try :)
Thanks guys.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:26 pm

I agree. Go for it. Don't be afraid to change it up either like changing the tempo of the pull up or focus on the eccentric range lowering slowly or even hand placement.

Underhand or supinated grip. Over hand grip or pronated gripe . Over hand wide grip. Overhand behind the neck pulls. There are many variations that you can do that will make it fun.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:33 pm

I think it's OK, and may be great for some people. Chinups don't have a lot of neural demand, and most people can handle them much more frequently than they can handle other lifts. Try it! You might want to skip a day once in a while, depending on what you're doing in your heavy lifting the day before or the day after. You can mix up the volume--3xwhatever like you're suggesting, ladders, sets to near-failure, going for a particular total rep count, etc. I'd be cautious about any added weight on a daily basis, but a session of weighted chins can give you a boost now and then.

It's a great exercise! Why don't the big-name gurus write it into their published programs? Some don't even mention it when they discuss accessory lifts! I think it's just as important as bench or press or rows.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:05 pm

because pull ups dont do much for your squat

but seriously, it makes program longer, requires some recovery, thus detracting from other lifts deemd more important.

or were you being rhetorical

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:12 pm

very enlightening for me

http://startingstrength.com/resources/f ... 138&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:or were you being rhetorical
Not me. I have trouble even spelling retor... whatever. I was in the group that was unaware that Rip had hidden a chinup recommendation deep in the fine print of SS. I'm glad it's there, but think that it should be up front.

And, if my ego were dependent either on my chinup numbers or on my squat (reference to one of Rip's comments in the linked forum thread), I'd be in even more serious trouble than I am now!

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:18 pm

tru dat

It's all about Tricep Dumbbell Kickbacks

amiright?

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:56 am

Sure oscar. Tricep kick backs are how I got my triceps soooo huge. Me and all the other females in the gym.