BP spotting tips

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

BP spotting tips

Post by hoosegow » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:41 pm

I believe I am becoming a pimp for EliteFts.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/t ... dium=email
Thanks TimD.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: BP spotting tips

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 pm

thanks to you, I think, I get email from them everyday. Everyday. Sometimes 2x. Everyday
Yes, lots of good information. And sales. Everyday

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:23 am

spotting is something that so few people do correctly. I make sure to tell people exactly what I'm going to do, and exactly what I want them to do before I start.

Christianiron.com
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Christianiron.com » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:02 am

It's best to have regular,reliable partners that know what you need & how to provide it. Grabbing random guys in the gym is hit or miss.
King Squat author

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:13 am

So true. I'll use a random gym guy only as a last resort, and only if I'm lifting on the heavy side. Thankfully, most of the time I lift in our little gym where I know everybody, and they all know what I like.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:56 pm

I tell my spotter the only way and the onllllllly way you even touch the damn bar is if it's moving downward not upward and you literally only give me enough to get it moving and then thats it....no bs
"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door"

Kyle Chandler

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I think told this story once, I was attempting a new RM and I asked some random guy to help spot me. He put his ARMS, UNDER the bar (resting on his elbows) and pulls the weight up and says, "keep going!" I racked it and said, listen, don't touch it unless I can't lift it, ok? So I go again and I was slowly going up and he decides to do the same $h1t again. So I rack it and, this other guy volunteered to spot me. So this new guy does, properly. Then he asks me to spot him, so I do and right before I was about to help lift the bar, the other guy comes running up and grabs the bar and pulls the bar up to rack it. Well the guy benching Flipped out! It turned into this big verbal argument and I just couldn't stop laughing. Funny story.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:34 am

Jebus wrote:I think told this story once, I was attempting a new RM and I asked some random guy to help spot me. He put his ARMS, UNDER the bar (resting on his elbows) and pulls the weight up and says, "keep going!" I racked it and said, listen, don't touch it unless I can't lift it, ok? So I go again and I was slowly going up and he decides to do the same $h1t again. So I rack it and, this other guy volunteered to spot me. So this new guy does, properly. Then he asks me to spot him, so I do and right before I was about to help lift the bar, the other guy comes running up and grabs the bar and pulls the bar up to rack it. Well the guy benching Flipped out! It turned into this big verbal argument and I just couldn't stop laughing. Funny story.

Haha bench press spotting for dummies.... gotta get it for that guy haha

Kyle Chandler

NightFaLL

Post by NightFaLL » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Spots are for people who aren't going to make the lift. I'll pass.

^_^

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:49 am

NightFaLL wrote:Spots are for people who aren't going to make the lift. I'll pass.

^_^
who are you?

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:13 am

NightFaLL wrote:Spots are for people who aren't going to make the lift. I'll pass.

^_^
hooray! the big guy's back!

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:39 am

Welcome back Nightfall!!!

Although I need to say I disagree with the post lol.

In my sisters gym, one of the powerlifters there was benching 130KG, which he's benched numerous times before (I thin kshe said his best comp lift was 155KG). When he locked it out, he wobbled and dropped the bar, caught only by the spotters..... He then stood up and passed out...

I'll take a spot, thanks!

KPj
Thanks TimD

Khronos8

Post by Khronos8 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Add on to KPjs post. I was just finishing up my warm up sets with 305. I was using a false grip as well. I was about half way through my set, feeling very strong. Went up a little too fast, at the top the bar sort of "popped" (due to excess force used) and rolled right off my hands. 305 landing on your chest from 1.5 to 2 feet distance is not fun. Would a spotter have caught it? Probably not. But sure would have helped get it off my chest afterward.

Moral? Spotters are really good to have, but they can't protect you from your own stupidity. Oh, and don't use a false grip.

I like spotters more for the handoff than anything else, but I'll never use a false grip again.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:22 am

Khronos8 wrote:Add on to KPjs post. I was just finishing up my warm up sets with 305. I was using a false grip as well. I was about half way through my set, feeling very strong. Went up a little too fast, at the top the bar sort of "popped" (due to excess force used) and rolled right off my hands. 305 landing on your chest from 1.5 to 2 feet distance is not fun. Would a spotter have caught it? Probably not. But sure would have helped get it off my chest afterward.

Moral? Spotters are really good to have, but they can't protect you from your own stupidity. Oh, and don't use a false grip.

I like spotters more for the handoff than anything else, but I'll never use a false grip again.

Talk about a hand off.... jeez why are so many people adament about NOT getting handoffs. From the bench to the start position doesn't count. I take a hand off every time because the only reps that count spotted or not is down then up.

Kyle Chandler