Cheating on the DL

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Cheating on the DL

Post by The_dog_mom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:45 am

I just realized today I think I am cheating on my DL. My legs are short especially my knee to foot length. When I put on a 45# plate it raises the bar to my lower calf.

How high off the foot should the bar be on a DL?

stuward

Re: Cheating on the DL

Post by stuward » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:11 am

9 1/2 inches off the floor. If you want more range of motion you can stand on a platform but it's still a deadlift even if your legs are short.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:29 pm

in competition, you'd be required to add about 1.3" onto each leg. You can choose where, above or below knee.
It's a simple procedure involving breaking the femur or tibia and inserting a metal rod. And skin grafts
Good thing you are a recreational lifter

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:35 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:in competition, you'd be required to add about 1.3" onto each leg. You can choose where, above or below knee.
It's a simple procedure involving breaking the femur or tibia and inserting a metal rod. And skin grafts
You know I heard they do this in China Sucks to be short!

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:59 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:in competition, you'd be required to add about 1.3" onto each leg. You can choose where, above or below knee.
However if you were doing a CrossFit total as championed by Rippetoe you would not be allowed to bandange the skin, that could be seen as being "equipped".

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:04 pm

I don't think Rip champions anything about CrossFit any more!

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:56 pm

I swear you guys are filled with sarcasm. Stuward was right LOL.... just because you are short doesn't mean you aren't deadlifting. It just means your range of motion is a tad less. I see people deadlifting off of pads stacked about 8 inches high although I don't see the reason behind it since they have to go so light.

I say do what you can or try to use a 25 lb plate and two tens just to get the bar lower. if you wanted use four 10's and a 5 lbs are lbs no matter how you look at at.

Kill it! and lift like its your job. No one else is going to lift for you ! :D

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:11 pm

CorlessJohnJ wrote:I swear you guys are filled with sarcasm. Stuward was right LOL.... just because you are short doesn't mean you aren't deadlifting. It just means your range of motion is a tad less. I see people deadlifting off of pads stacked about 8 inches high although I don't see the reason behind it since they have to go so light.

I say do what you can or try to use a 25 lb plate and two tens just to get the bar lower. if you wanted use four 10's and a 5 lbs are lbs no matter how you look at at.

I can take the sarcasm. Ask Oscar I can give it back;-) I hate using the small plates because then no one else knows how much I lift. :roll: I am dead serious, takes all the fun out of it.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 pm

Here's an inspiring deadlift.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaqF1Tr38EQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:48 pm

The_dog_mom wrote:
CorlessJohnJ wrote:I swear you guys are filled with sarcasm. Stuward was right LOL.... just because you are short doesn't mean you aren't deadlifting. It just means your range of motion is a tad less. I see people deadlifting off of pads stacked about 8 inches high although I don't see the reason behind it since they have to go so light.

I can take the sarcasm. Ask Oscar I can give it back;-) I hate using the small plates because then no one else knows how much I lift. :roll: I am dead serious, takes all the fun out of it.

It' doesnt matter if everyone or no one knows how much your lifting. All that matters is you getting the best quality lift that you can get for you. If you want that workout you can load the bar up with ten lb plates all day long. if someone was really interested you can tell them the reason im not using the 45 lb plates is because i want a deeper range of motion in my deadlifts without building a tower to stand on. lol

Might impress some gym goers. Means your overthe top awesome. ;)

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:05 am

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:53 am

Ironman wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote: Good thing you are a recreational lifter
:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:
I hope this is what you are finding so funny :wink:

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:46 am

This discussion what prompted the question. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/212-mart ... s/60730047

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:10 am

CorlessJohnJ wrote: I see people deadlifting off of pads stacked about 8 inches high although I don't see the reason behind it since they have to go so light.
:D

I feel like 8" is excessive, but pulling from a deficit will help you off the floor.

I get stuck around mid shin. I can break a whole lot more from the floor than I can get to my knees and lock out.

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:46 am

stuward wrote:Here's an inspiring deadlift.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaqF1Tr38EQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was pretty awesome.