where to find how much weight I should lift?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

dancerwithweights
n00b
n00b

where to find how much weight I should lift?

Post by dancerwithweights » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:00 am

Hello I am looking for a list of the amount of weight I should be able to lift.

What I would really love is to have some females' weight lifting programas along with their photos, so I could say to myself, ok- if I train like her my arms/legs will look similar.

I know that all depends etc but rough ball parks. I would rather not have the 1 rep max load numbers because I never lift weights that way- I think it is dangerous.

So for example, how strong really should my biceps be.? 3 sets of 10 reps of dumbell curls with what, 10 pounds, 25 pounds, 100 pounds? I have no idea.

Or, I can hamstring curl 80 pounds for 3 sets of 12 reps. Is that good? Should I aim for 150?

you get my drift.

thank you very much!

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: where to find how much weight I should lift?

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:20 am

Oh yeah, yeah, I gets yo drift. Let me drop some knowledge
Given your size, weight, and training experience, and lever lengths, genetics, and diet, and cycle (moon), I'd stick with the generally accepted aforementions ASFT Standard ranges as prescribed for females, of your age.

Bicep Curl: 8 Reps: 25 lbs - Good, 35 lbs - Excellent, 50 lbs - Stop Juicing
CG Bench Press: 12 Reps: 110 lbs - Ok, 130 lbs - Let's hang out, 175 lbs - Whoa, eh, hold me?
Sumo Deadlift: 4 Reps: 220 Lbs - Video Please, 260 lbs - Gender Test required
Bosu Ball Tricep Kickbacks with Flutter Kicks: Over 20 reps: Don't be gay. NTTAWWI

There are more standards, but these are the key movements to focus on.

Or, you could pick a solid program, find weights you can lift properly for the prescribed volume, and increase the weight incrementally, or the volume, as prescribed by the program. I'm pretty sure, for example that I Bench way less than somene as handsome as myself should. But, I Bench quite a bit more than I did 7 months ago, and tha'ts kinda cool.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:55 am

Oscar, do you have a link to those standards?

Here are the strength standards that Exrx chose to include on their site: http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/S ... dards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The_dog_mom
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by The_dog_mom » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 am

Yea another girl! :cheers:

johnbu1981
Rookie
Rookie

Post by johnbu1981 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:39 am

stuward wrote:Oscar, do you have a link to those standards?

Here are the strength standards that Exrx chose to include on their site: http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/S ... dards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is this for a 1-rep max?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:50 am

johnbu1981 wrote:
stuward wrote:Oscar, do you have a link to those standards?

Is this for a 1-rep max?
Yes they are. There's a link to a rep calculator at the bottom of that page if you want to compare sub-maximal lifts.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:52 am

How recent is that strength standard?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:01 am

CorlessJohnJ wrote:How recent is that strength standard?
I think those came from "Practical Programming". I think Rippetoe has distanced himself from them since it seemed to create more problems than it solved. Use it as a rough guideline. It doesn't account for age or faulty genetics, so it really isn't a very good predictor of training age which is what it was intended for.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:45 am

stuward wrote:
I think those came from "Practical Programming". I think Rippetoe has distanced himself from them since it seemed to create more problems than it solved. Use it as a rough guideline. It doesn't account for age or faulty genetics, so it really isn't a very good predictor of training age which is what it was intended for.

Just a basic guidline? I think the OP Was curious as to what weights she should lift rep range etc.

If I were you dancer I would stick between a 8-12 rep range while leaving at least one rep in the tank. So pretyt much one rep shy of failure.

I would do progressive overload. So do like 3x8 or 3x10 with what ever weight you feel comfortable with and then try to increase when ever you can actually do more than the reps that you planned the week before. You want to get stronger and most females don't experience the hypertrophy men do due to not having the testosterone production men do so I would say you don't have to worry about getting grotesque. Not that that concerns you but I do know some females that worry.

It's not the weight you lift but the quality of the lift. There are two phases to a lift the concentric and the eccentric range of motion both are equally important. So controlled movement both up and down is recommended....

Hope I helped.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 am

The_dog_mom wrote:Yea another girl! :cheers:

Haha I know right? I love training females :thumbright:

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:49 am

dancerwithweights wrote:What I would really love is to have some females' weight lifting programas along with their photos, so I could say to myself, ok- if I train like her my arms/legs will look similar.
Generally weight lifting programs are progressive, that is, you start light and add weight over time. Weight can be added quickly at first, and then more slowly.
dancerwithweights wrote:I know that all depends etc but rough ball parks. I would rather not have the 1 rep max load numbers because I never lift weights that way- I think it is dangerous.

I lift weight 4x/week and do a 1 rep max load about 2-3 times/year. dangerous? Not if you use the same form as the hundreds of other reps done during the year.

It also depends on how hard you push. if you squat X pounds on a max effort, and it is very very tough, and you decide to add more weight to chase a higher number, that is definitely more dangerous than saying, "That x pounds was good enough for me."
dancerwithweights wrote:So for example, how strong really should my biceps be.? 3 sets of 10 reps of dumbell curls with what, 10 pounds, 25 pounds, 100 pounds? I have no idea.
Start with what you can do. Then add weight. When you look like the picture, it's heavy enough. :smile:

johnbu1981
Rookie
Rookie

Post by johnbu1981 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:33 pm

stuward wrote:
What do you guys think about arm length in relation to the amount of weight you can lift? I'm 6'4 200, with close to a 7' wing span, so my arms are very long.

I'm only working out with 135 on bench right now, and having a tough go at adding weight/strength. Does the length of my arms inhibit bench press?

dancerwithweights
n00b
n00b

Post by dancerwithweights » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:06 pm

OK, thank you very much everyone :) I wasn't aware of that calculator, that is good.

If anyone knows of some good numbers for machines I would be interested.(hamstring curl, pec dec, shoulder press, upright row, quad extensions, - I geuss chest press is like bennch press for ballpark purposes, lat pull down, unilateral posterior fly, leg press) That about covers it.

Thanx also for those number on bicep curls- see, I am just looking down the road wondering- planning in advnce I guuess. Knowing I can stop at 35# is great news!- it gives me an end in sight, you know ?

thanx again

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:08 pm

dancerwithweights wrote:OK, thank you very much everyone :) I wasn't aware of that calculator, that is good.

If anyone knows of some good numbers for machines I would be interested.(hamstring curl, pec dec, shoulder press, upright row, quad extensions, - I geuss chest press is like bennch press for ballpark purposes, lat pull down) That about covers it.

Thanx also for those number on bicep curls- see, I am just looking down the road wondering- planning in advnce I guuess. Knowing I can stop at 35# is great news!- it gives me an end in sight, you know ?

thanx again
The best thing to do dancer is literally get on said machine and attempt to lift a selected weight. You have to try out weights and see where you are once you determine what weight you are going to lift and the amount of reps or sets you can build from there.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:17 pm

dancerwithweights wrote:Thanx also for those number on bicep curls- see, I am just looking down the road wondering- planning in advnce I guuess. Knowing I can stop at 35# is great news!- it gives me an end in sight, you know ?

thanx again
it's nice to be appreciated.