where to find how much weight I should lift?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Danomite
Rookie
Rookie

Re: where to find how much weight I should lift?

Post by Danomite » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Oh yeah, yeah, I gets yo drift. Let me drop some knowledge
Given your size, weight, and training experience, and lever lengths, genetics, and diet, and cycle (moon), I'd stick with the generally accepted aforementions ASFT Standard ranges as prescribed for females, of your age.

Bicep Curl: 8 Reps: 25 lbs - Good, 35 lbs - Excellent, 50 lbs - Stop Juicing
CG Bench Press: 12 Reps: 110 lbs - Ok, 130 lbs - Let's hang out, 175 lbs - Whoa, eh, hold me?
Sumo Deadlift: 4 Reps: 220 Lbs - Video Please, 260 lbs - Gender Test required
Bosu Ball Tricep Kickbacks with Flutter Kicks: Over 20 reps: Don't be gay. NTTAWWI

There are more standards, but these are the key movements to focus on.

Or, you could pick a solid program, find weights you can lift properly for the prescribed volume, and increase the weight incrementally, or the volume, as prescribed by the program. I'm pretty sure, for example that I Bench way less than somene as handsome as myself should. But, I Bench quite a bit more than I did 7 months ago, and tha'ts kinda cool.
As much as I enjoy your usual posts, this one was far too hilarious to not comment on. Good on you sir.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:00 pm

dancerwithweights wrote:Hello I am looking for a list of the amount of weight I should be able to lift.

What I would really love is to have some females' weight lifting programas along with their photos, so I could say to myself, ok- if I train like her my arms/legs will look similar.

I know that all depends etc but rough ball parks. I would rather not have the 1 rep max load numbers because I never lift weights that way- I think it is dangerous.

So for example, how strong really should my biceps be.? 3 sets of 10 reps of dumbell curls with what, 10 pounds, 25 pounds, 100 pounds? I have no idea.

Or, I can hamstring curl 80 pounds for 3 sets of 12 reps. Is that good? Should I aim for 150?

you get my drift.

thank you very much!
I really don't like strength standards, either the tables like you find here on the ExRx site, or the sort that you are asking for (which don't really exist). There are just too, too many variables that affect this, as has been mentioned. Also age, which is a factor dear to my heart, but which the young bucks (Oscar, haha) didn't mention. What use could standards be? How do you use the results? So what if you find out that you are about as strong as the average person of your gender and weight? Will you stop training because you are fit enough? Or what (as is often my experience) you find out that you are slightly weaker than an untrained person of 2 weight categories lighter than your present body weight? Will you then wallow in anguish, guilt and self depredation? I hope not!

I think the answer to "How strong should I be" is "just a little stronger than you are now!" Everyone starts somewhere. The important thing is that you are training, and getting stronger!

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
dancerwithweights wrote:Hello I am looking for a list of the amount of weight I should be able to lift.

What I would really love is to have some females' weight lifting programas along with their photos, so I could say to myself, ok- if I train like her my arms/legs will look similar.

I know that all depends etc but rough ball parks. I would rather not have the 1 rep max load numbers because I never lift weights that way- I think it is dangerous.

So for example, how strong really should my biceps be.? 3 sets of 10 reps of dumbell curls with what, 10 pounds, 25 pounds, 100 pounds? I have no idea.

Or, I can hamstring curl 80 pounds for 3 sets of 12 reps. Is that good? Should I aim for 150?

you get my drift.

thank you very much!
I really don't like strength standards, either the tables like you find here on the ExRx site, or the sort that you are asking for (which don't really exist). There are just too, too many variables that affect this, as has been mentioned. Also age, which is a factor dear to my heart, but which the young bucks (Oscar, haha) didn't mention. What use could standards be? How do you use the results? So what if you find out that you are about as strong as the average person of your gender and weight? Will you stop training because you are fit enough? Or what (as is often my experience) you find out that you are slightly weaker than an untrained person of 2 weight categories lighter than your present body weight? Will you then wallow in anguish, guilt and self depredation? I hope not!

I think the answer to "How strong should I be" is "just a little stronger than you are now!" Everyone starts somewhere. The important thing is that you are training, and getting stronger!

Call me crazy folks but if someone is stronger that motivates me. Nothing like competition.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Yeah, but this wasn't really about motivation. It's about an inexperienced lifter trying to decide what she "should" be lifting. My point is that there is no table or standard that can tell her that.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 pm

Jungledoc wrote: Also age, which is a factor dear to my heart, but which the young bucks (Oscar, haha) didn't mention.
Oscar mentioned it
Or you mean I'm one of the young bucks, its confusing.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:26 pm

johnbu1981 wrote: Does the length of my arms inhibit bench press?

Chances are, yes.

But we are hijacking this thread, if your really curious start a new one, lol. I have the same problem.