barbell without knurling

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

fqqs
Rookie
Rookie

barbell without knurling

Post by fqqs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:18 am

I have a barbell without knurling, all the way smooth. so is there any disadvantage provided I use chalk (regarding deadlift and other exercsises that need strong grip)? or is knurling neccessary?

Jungledoc

Re: barbell without knurling

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:22 am

I'd think that there would be a bigger challenge to your grip with it. I'd also think that even with chalk it would be hard to use it for very heavy deadlifts. For most of us, DL challenges our grip at best, and at worst it's a limiting factor. Having smooth bar on your shins would be nice, though.

Is it a bar for Olympic-type weights? Is it relatively new?
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

fqqs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fqqs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:28 am

it is 29mm bar 213cm width, but knurling only at the far sides. i could grip teh bar on curling parts only if i take grip as for wide grip bench press ;/ thats clearly impossible in deadlift.

Ausbris
Novice
Novice

Post by Ausbris » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:35 am

Knurling will also stop the bar sliding on back squats.

My bar has a couple of types of knurling - I use the point where they change as a guide for distance between hands when benching (i.e. close grip, vs normal).

fqqs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fqqs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:00 am

and what about a tape that has very good traction and sticks forever? ill wrap tha barbell with it and also use chalk

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:07 pm

I think that's fine. I also think it's a shame that you have to. Did someone sell this as a specialty bar of some kind?
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

fqqs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fqqs » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:33 am

I moved to a home gym and bought used weight sets. That time I had a back injury so I didnt need a strong grip so I didnt care about knurling. and it was a mistake. Im kinda short of money so Ill try tapeing this, should be okay, we ll see

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Should be fine.