Quad Dominant or Bull S. Dominant?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

BlazingAirMAx
Novice
Novice

Quad Dominant or Bull S. Dominant?

Post by BlazingAirMAx » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:56 am

There is all this stuff going around explaining that if one has strong quads relative to their posterior chain it is an absolute must that they do all kinds of hip thrust, deadlifts, etc.. to restore the balance. This seems logical, but to me it also makes sense that a person with a weak posterior chain could restore the balance by correctly performing back squats to at least parallel because a person who is quad dominant would fatigue in the posterior chain first.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Quad Dominant or Bull S. Dominant?

Post by KPj » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:06 am

Yes, if you squat with good technique, and don't allow your quads to pull your weight forward, then you essentially target your weaknesses by limiting the amount you can lift to the amount you can lift with good form. This is one reason why technique is so important.

KPj

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:18 am

The main point of doing Hamstring raises, straight leg deadlifts and such to fix the hamstring and glute weakness is to make them stronger more effectively. It is true that with a correct back squat technique, you will also work your hamstrings. But when you have done years or even months of back squats mostly using your quads, it is very hard to correct your technique, especially when your posterior chain is weak. When you have inbalance on your body, it practically means your nervous system makes the other muscle to do most of the work, simply because the other muscle can't handle it. Even if you did correct technique after months of quad dominant work out, the quads will continue to work and progress way harder than the posterior chain. Either you lower the weight so much you can actually get your hamstrings working more, or you can do assisting lifts like good mornings and others mentioned before to strengthen the posteriors. It has worked for me, I've been doing some hamstring raises for a while now, and I think it has affected my squats, slowly, but still. With only a right squat technique I think I couldn't squat as much as I do now.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:39 am

Why not use a quad exercise to work your quads, and use posterior chain exercises to work your posterior chain? Why wouldn't anybody want to avoid DL? It's the most fun you can have in the gym. So why try to force the posterior chain to take a bigger role in your squats. Just squat, then DL. Besides, I don't think squats can do near what DL can for the post chain, no matter how good your technique is.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:01 am

Jungledoc wrote:Why wouldn't anybody want to avoid DL?
Are you not the victim of the use of the double negative, no ?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:13 am

No, I'm just the victim of absent-mindedness, and forgetting in the middle of a sentence where I was going when I started it.

Why wouldn't anybody want to do DL? Why would anybody want to avoid them? Oh, heck. Just do deadlifts.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:43 am

Dave Tate
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/p ... -deadlift/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:38 am

Dub wrote:Dave Tate
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/p ... -deadlift/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aw... That's so disappointing. He used to be one of my heroes.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:42 pm

Tate says he hates deadlifts. He didn't say he hates all hip-dominant moves. ... He says he did a "TONS" of good mornings when he trained at Westside along with reverse hypers and glute ham raises.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:34 am

Dave Tate wrote:The first and simple reason why I hate the deadlift is that I’ve always sucked at it and making gains on it was the slowest process in the world. Actually the only real time I made decent gains was when I stopped doing them altogether.
My experience has been the exact opposite of Tate's. I LOVE the deadlift. When I first started lifting, I was a tall and skinny runner who just sucked at bench presses and squats. But when a trainer showed me how to deadlift, I went from lifting less than a hundred pounds to over three plates in about a year. I put on 20 solid pounds. And as I got stronger, my other lifts went up, too.

If that trainer didn't teach me how to deadlfit, I would have quit lifting years ago.

CorlessJohnJ

Post by CorlessJohnJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:If that trainer didn't teach me how to deadlfit, I would have quit lifting years ago.

Why it should be a staple in anyones workout even if they aren't powerlifting or bodybuilding. Regardless it's a great workout and is awesome.

commodiusvicus
Novice
Novice

Post by commodiusvicus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Deadlifts are good if you want to get better at picking up something heavy then putting it back down.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:06 pm

I get this guy

BlazingAirMAx
Novice
Novice

Post by BlazingAirMAx » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:31 pm

commodiusvicus wrote:Deadlifts are good if you want to get better at picking up something heavy then putting it back down.
Yea, but the strength is applicable to force production during sports.