Evalute My Workout

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

BlazingAirMAx
Novice
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 am

Evalute My Workout

Post by BlazingAirMAx » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm a sprinter looking to add some power to my back side so I can achieve better top end speed.

Day 1. 3x5 Convention Deadlift/3x5 Barbell Hip thrust

Day 2. 3x5 Lever Front Squat/3x5 Glute Ham Raise.

I deload 1 week and rotate to reps of 3 every 6 weeks. When I get my hamstrings and glutes up to par, I would like to drop the assistance movements and just focus on the deadlift and squats. I run at high speeds so It seems pointless to perform olympic lifts. What do you all think?


robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by robertscott » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:29 pm

why lever front squat and not barbell? I assume you have no rack?

Also, I don't think you should ever drop the assistance, just get better at it, but otherwise looks pretty good to me.

User avatar
Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:52 am
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Wouter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Olympic lifts might be beneficial if you're a sprinter.
Worldclass weightlifters have higher acceleration speeds than worldclass sprinters, they're faster in the 40m sprint.

(you said you run at high speeds, so I assumed your a sprinter)

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6648
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by stuward » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:39 pm

There are a lot of different opinions out there that range from unilateral training only, to 1/4 squats with a jump. Everything works sometime for some people but it might not be right for you. You'll have to trust your own judgement on this.

I found this article that looks interesting. http://www.myjjk.com/viewtopic.php?t=635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Jason Nunn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:41 pm

BlazingAirMAx wrote:I'm a sprinter looking to add some power to my back side so I can achieve better top end speed.

I run at high speeds so It seems pointless to perform olympic lifts. What do you all think?
So, since your already fast, you don't need to get faster?

I've trained some pretty high level sprinters, and we never cut the oly lifts. Being more explosive is always a good thing.

Also, I would drop the front squats for back squats.


User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:28 pm

You'd be better off with free weights.

REally, we don't know how to evaluate your workout, because our standard response is, reduce the number of exercises, cut the duplication, simplify, simplify, simplify. None of that seems to apply to you.

I also agree with keeping assistance. It, ah, assists. Change it around. So some assistance unilateral. It wouldn't really hurt you to do something upper body once in a while! But refreshing to see a routine without it.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

BlazingAirMAx
Novice
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by BlazingAirMAx » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:59 pm

robertscott wrote:why lever front squat and not barbell? I assume you have no rack?

Also, I don't think you should ever drop the assistance, just get better at it, but otherwise looks pretty good to me.
I figure the lever squat would be a nice break from the heavy loading you get from deadlifting. Am I limiting myself? I mean is it ok to squat and dealift heaving in the same week?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by robertscott » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:02 pm

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
robertscott wrote:why lever front squat and not barbell? I assume you have no rack?

Also, I don't think you should ever drop the assistance, just get better at it, but otherwise looks pretty good to me.
I figure the lever squat would be a nice break from the heavy loading you get from deadlifting. Am I limiting myself? I mean is it ok to squat and dealift heaving in the same week?
most definitely, have at it!

BlazingAirMAx
Novice
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by BlazingAirMAx » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Wouter wrote:Olympic lifts might be beneficial if you're a sprinter.
Worldclass weightlifters have higher acceleration speeds than worldclass sprinters, they're faster in the 40m sprint.

(you said you run at high speeds, so I assumed your a sprinter)
Yea, but I figure that limb speeds generated in the weight room are slower than speeds incountered from running fast. As far a weight lifters having better acceleration, I feel it's from all the quad dominant movements they do. People who are more quad dominant tend to accelerate and jump better than they run at top end speed. After they come out of their drive phase, they slow down because they don't have the glute/ham strength to continue.

BlazingAirMAx
Novice
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by BlazingAirMAx » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Jungledoc wrote:You'd be better off with free weights.

REally, we don't know how to evaluate your workout, because our standard response is, reduce the number of exercises, cut the duplication, simplify, simplify, simplify. None of that seems to apply to you.

I also agree with keeping assistance. It, ah, assists. Change it around. So some assistance unilateral. It wouldn't really hurt you to do something upper body once in a while! But refreshing to see a routine without it.
Oh sorry, I just included the legs. My upper rountine

Day 1 bench,pull ups, standing shoulder press

Day 2 incline bench, bent over row, DB raise

I use the same rep scheme

I think mimialism applies. I believe that a person's strength relative to their weight is the most important aspect of power generation. If I can get stronger with less, I'm all for it. Thats the only thing that has helped me recently.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:17 pm

BlazingAirMAx wrote: Yea, but I figure that limb speeds generated in the weight room are slower than speeds incountered from running fast. As far a weight lifters having better acceleration, I feel it's from all the quad dominant movements they do. People who are more quad dominant tend to accelerate and jump better than they run at top end speed. After they come out of their drive phase, they slow down because they don't have the glute/ham strength to continue.
your running knowledge would leave me in the dust, so perhaps I am miss understanding.
While the limb speed is slower in the weight room, because you are moving lots of weight, doing so will make your out of weight room limb speeds even faster. That seems too obvious though for it to be something I'm pointing out to you. :geek:

Are you looking to run really fast for 200 meters, 400?

Maybe Rob-T will post here.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:24 pm

I don't think weightlifters tend to be as quad dominant as power lifters. Am I wrong? (If so it would be the first time, at least in this forum).
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Jungledoc wrote:I don't think weightlifters tend to be as quad dominant as power lifters. Am I wrong? (If so it would be the first time, at least in this forum).
My instinct says you are wrong.
Weightlifters do a lot of Front squatting, ya?, and that is more quaddy than the power squat, ya?
OTOH, weightlifters do deeper squats.
I'm wrong a lot.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Well, they pull from the floor a lot, too.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by robertscott » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:12 am

front squat is done by weightlifters as an assistance exercise for the C&J, back squats are done as assistance for the snatch.

So in short, they do both.


Post Reply