Evalute My Workout

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:09 am

No! Oscar and me wrong at the same time? Can't be. :)


User avatar
TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
Posts: 3129
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:04 am
Location: Va Beach, Va

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by TimD » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:52 am

I don't know if it even matters much. Kind of comparing apples and pears, but here is my .02. My take is the OL types are more quad dominant. OK, let's break it down. In PL, take a look at MOST squat styles. Butt way back, usuall very wide stances. The way I see that there spreading the workload throughout EVERYTHING, but emphasis on posterior chain. A asimilar thing going on with DL's. Now, with the OL types, not too much difference when doing the pulls, but look at the recovery portion of the lift. Pure overhead and front squats therre, from rock bottom, and keep in mind to perform one of these recoveries, the best form is to keep the trunk as vertical as possible, placing emphasis on glutes and quads. Again, just my .02, both PL and OL use alot of everything, and it's the old apples and pears things. They're different lifts.
Tim

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Jebus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:08 pm

If your looking to add some power to your back side then should do lifts that increase power, the olympic lifts do just that.

BlazingAirMAx
Novice
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by BlazingAirMAx » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:15 am

Jebus wrote:If your looking to add some power to your back side then should do lifts that increase power, the olympic lifts do just that.
Olympic lifts are technical movements that are based on your squat or deadlift max. They aren't heavy enough to recruit fast twitched fibers. They somewhat increase rate of force.

User avatar
Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Lapland, Finland

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Dub » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:03 am

BlazingAirMAx wrote: Olympic lifts are technical movements that are based on your squat or deadlift max. They aren't heavy enough to recruit fast twitched fibers. They somewhat increase rate of force.
I'm not buying this. If the Olympic lifts increase rate of the force you can create, it causes more movement/more speed? Isn't that correct? Newtons laws?
And I think you're oversimplyfing the olympic lifts. They are a full body compound movement, and do not only take base from squatting and deadlifting. Also, I strongly believe you create almost all that force with your fast muscle cells (type-II). I know they take more heavier stimulus to activate, but doing an explosive clean is in my opinion, a great show of explosive force. Slow muscle cells (Type-I) are more used in running and aerobic exercising, and take the back seat on major explosive and heavy lifts, atleast after a few seconds. I'm no sprinting expert neither but I strongly think that olympic lifts are great to increase the explosive movement throughout your body. Yes, it's technical, but when you control the technique, it's all about the amount of rapid force you can recruit within seconds. And isn't that what fast twitching fibers do?


robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by robertscott » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:59 am

any lift can stimulate the fast twitch fibres as long as you lift fast, which, in the case of the Olympic lifts, is definitely the case.

BlazingAirMAx
Novice
Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by BlazingAirMAx » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:11 am

robertscott wrote:any lift can stimulate the fast twitch fibres as long as you lift fast, which, in the case of the Olympic lifts, is definitely the case.
Yes, they stimulate but don't recruit new fibers which is the key to getting stronger and increase the ability to apply force.

User avatar
Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Lapland, Finland

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Dub » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:22 am

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
robertscott wrote:any lift can stimulate the fast twitch fibres as long as you lift fast, which, in the case of the Olympic lifts, is definitely the case.
Yes, they stimulate but don't recruit new fibers which is the key to getting stronger and increase the ability to apply force.
Where do you base this argument?
When there is more strength needed, there is more fibers recruited. That's how you get stronger. Are you saying that doing olympic lifts don't make you stronger? What? Besides, fiber recruitment is not as simple as it sounds, it's very dependant of the persons age, motivation, strength and experience.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Jason Nunn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:48 am

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
robertscott wrote:
Yes, they stimulate but don't recruit new fibers which is the key to getting stronger and increase the ability to apply force.
Ummm There's a reason why 99.99% of track and field strength coaches do the olympic lifts. They improve rate of force production, motor control, and rate coding. All of which are very important to the track athlete.

This guy olympic lifts. I guess that means he's slow, weak, and unable to get stronger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOWcrqOSevs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by robertscott » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:11 am

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
robertscott wrote:any lift can stimulate the fast twitch fibres as long as you lift fast, which, in the case of the Olympic lifts, is definitely the case.
Yes, they stimulate but don't recruit new fibers which is the key to getting stronger and increase the ability to apply force.
where are you getting this nonsense? So Olympic lifters can't get stronger?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by robertscott » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:14 am

Jason Nunn wrote:
BlazingAirMAx wrote:
robertscott wrote:
Yes, they stimulate but don't recruit new fibers which is the key to getting stronger and increase the ability to apply force.
Ummm There's a reason why 99.99% of track and field strength coaches do the olympic lifts. They improve rate of force production, motor control, and rate coding. All of which are very important to the track athlete.

This guy olympic lifts. I guess that means he's slow, weak, and unable to get stronger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOWcrqOSevs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
woah I never said that! That's slander Jason, I'll see you in court

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Jason Nunn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:50 am

robertscott wrote:

woah I never said that! That's slander Jason, I'll see you in court
Haha! I was responding to BlazingAirMax's comments. Not yours. I mistakenly deleted the wrong comments.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: Evalute My Workout

Post by Jebus » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm

http://fitnessprofessionalonline.com/co ... erformance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theres a bunch of references at the bottom.


Post Reply