Minimalist Training

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

BlazingAirMAx
Novice
Novice

Minimalist Training

Post by BlazingAirMAx » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:53 am

What's your take on a person conventional deadlifting for legs and just leaving it at that? Workouts are becoming so complicated and I'm ready to pick one lift for my legs and let mother nature decide the strength ratio of my lower body muscles.

stuward

Re: Minimalist Training

Post by stuward » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:11 am

I think if you just want to do 1 lower body exercise, then trap bar (or dumbbell) deadlifts would be the best. When the bar is in front of your legs, as in a deadlift, the focus is on the posterior muscles. If it's behind your legs, as in a hack squat, the focus is on the anterior muscles. The trap bar (or dumbbells) centers the weight over the heels and gives a more balanced lift. It's probably not as good as doing both deadlifts and squats, but as a compromise, it would be my choice. A powerlifting (or box squat) style of squat would also do the job since the weight is back further than in other squatting styles.

By the way, letting "mother nature" decide the strength ratios will usually lead to imbalances, unless you truly train the way "mother nature" intended. Unless you follow a paleo re-creationist type approach, you won't be able to do this yourself. Search of MovNat for more details.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 am

I would also add some back squats or box squats to that and then be happy. Also I would rotate some deadlift variations to bring more variety and focus on different muscles (Rack Pulls, Snatch-grips, maybe single-leg or RDL).
But no doubt, doing only deadlifts will too develop your lower body muscles, and back also.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

commodiusvicus
Novice
Novice

Post by commodiusvicus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Ever tried goblet squats? I've been doing them and i think they're great http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... squats_101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully someone more experienced will confirm this but you could probably get away with just doing those and deadlifts.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Goblet squats are great but are hard to get heavy enough to really work the legs. They're ideal for learning the movement. Likewise, overhead squats are great for training the movement but the limiting factor is everything except the legs. They're great as everyday warmup type exercises though.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Dub wrote:I would also add some back squats or box squats to that and then be happy. Also I would rotate some deadlift variations to bring more variety and focus on different muscles (Rack Pulls, Snatch-grips, maybe single-leg or RDL).
But no doubt, doing only deadlifts will too develop your lower body muscles, and back also.
he's looking for simplicity.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Dub wrote:I would also add some back squats or box squats to that and then be happy. Also I would rotate some deadlift variations to bring more variety and focus on different muscles (Rack Pulls, Snatch-grips, maybe single-leg or RDL).
he's looking for simplicity.
Doing two or three exercises on a workout is simple. Especially when one of the exercises is the same exercise but with a different method. If that's not simple I would just run around in a circle with additional increasing ankle weight or weight vests.
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Dub wrote:Doing two or three exercises on a workout is simple. Especially when one of the exercises is the same exercise but with a different method. If that's not simple I would just run around in a circle with additional increasing ankle weight or weight vests.
obtuse much?

He suggested one movement.
You are giving him a list that leads to several possible combinations.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote: obtuse much?
He suggested one movement.
You are giving him a list that leads to several possible combinations.
Not too fond of reading with thought yourself are you?
Nah, I kid.

Anyway, my point was that I wouldn't personally rely on just deadlifts to build my legs. Sure, it would do something, but in the end you need more than just the same stimulation, like variations or then you could just squat once in a while. Deadlifts are an universal move no doubt, but you shouldn't do just that for the sake of it. It's like doing only bench press for the upper body workout.

I Personally Would Add atleast Squats to the mix.

If one really is calling two exercise-routine complicated one's just lazy. Or possibly some kind of primeape.
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Dub wrote:Not too fond of reading with thought yourself are you?
Nah, I kid.

Anyway, my point was that I wouldn't personally rely on ...
And my point is that he's not asking what you would do to work out legs given 3 exercises.

:cyclopsani:

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:49 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote: And my point is that he's not asking what you would do to work out legs given 3 exercises.
And my point is the following:

See direct quote from BlazingAirMAx: "What's your take on a person conventional deadlifting for legs and just leaving it at that?"

My take on that was the following: No, I think doing only deadlifts as a lower body exercise is enough. I think you shouldn't (especially when lifter isn't too experienced) just do one exercise. My take is that you should add squats to fill the routine. And now when I think about it, Front Squats. Because of Quads.

End of point. Not arguing this further.
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

commodiusvicus
Novice
Novice

Post by commodiusvicus » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:51 pm

I know that if your hamstrings are weak relative to the quads then it can predispose you to injury, but is the reverse also possible (quads weak relative to hams leading to injury)? Jungledoc? Anyone?

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Dub wrote:See direct quote from BlazingAirMAx: "What's your take on a person conventional deadlifting for legs and just leaving it at that?"

My take on that was the following: No, I think doing only deadlifts as a lower body exercise is enough. I think you shouldn't (especially when lifter isn't too experienced) just do one exercise. My take is that you should add squats to fill the routine. And now when I think about it, Front Squats. Because of Quads.
Yeah, you're right.

What you got against Glute Thrusts? I like those.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote: What you got against Glute Thrusts? I like those.
Nothing much, I haven't really tried those properly to form any kind of solid opinion. However Deadlifts do work on glutes quite alot.
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:54 pm

I think it would be OK to have one lower-body lift at a time, but I wouldn't just do one indefinitely. DL for a few weeks, then do some squat variation for a few weeks, etc.

DiFranco has a routine for older lifters that he calls "Westside for Burned Out Meatheads" in which he advocates just choosing between squats and DL, and just sticking with that. Still, I'd want to switch once in a while.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan