Full body three times a week

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

teafan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Full body three times a week

Post by teafan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:03 am

How would you go about pull ups in 531? Do you mean with added weight (like dangling a dumbbell between my feet)?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:39 am

I think it's fine to have Thursday as a "catch-up day". What if you miss a Monday or Tuesday workout because of a work or family conflict? Use Thursday to catch up. If you don't need to use it for that, make it a relatively light day to allow better recovery from the heavy work on Monday and Tuesday before the relatively heavy work on Friday.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 pm

teafan wrote:How would you go about pull ups in 531? Do you mean with added weight (like dangling a dumbbell between my feet)?
You can add weight a number of ways. There are belts especially made for it. Most decent gyms have them. A vest would work as well. Progress slowly. If you have elbows like mine you will need some time to adapt.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:15 pm

I did 5/3/1 with pullups for a while. At first I set a training max that included my body weight plus the added weight, then I did 5/3/1 with the usual percentages. It never seemed to work well, so finally I just did it with arbitrary weights. I did something like this:

1- BWx5, BW+5x5, BW+10x5+
2- BW+5x3,BW+10x3, BW+15x3+
3- BW+10x5, BW+15x3, BW+20x1+
Then the next week I just added 5 pounds to each set. It seemed to work out pretty well.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:38 pm

In the 5/3/1 book (not that anyone's read it) Wendler says not to bother with weighted chins/pull ups until you can bang out loads of them. As in, well into the double figures.