Need some advice on my routine

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

medic002
Novice
Novice

Re: Need some advice on my routine

Post by medic002 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 pm

robertscott wrote:embarrassingly, I have no idea what "rep" means. What's it all about?
On some forums you have rep or reputation points, effectively if you post something useful or something you get reps from someone. its roughly an indicator of how knowledgeable or helpful someone is

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:14 pm

We just add up the posts. Therefor, I'm obviously the most knowledgeable and helpful. Not to mention loquacious.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Jungledoc wrote:We just add up the posts. Therefor, I'm obviously the most knowledgeable and helpful. Not to mention loquacious.
But you're not a wizard anymore. :razz:
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:01 pm

yeah, he's just a secretary now. Admin staff.

How embarrassing

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm

While it's better than the previous workout, this one still looks a far cry from optimal to me. I'd recommend focusing more on basic lifts and never going above 12 reps, plus more leg work.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:23 pm

ooh we have a dissenter among us. Not a fan of WS4SB Ironman?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Not just among us, but among the BB crowd!
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:47 am

I have not seen WS4SB before, but if that is what it is, yea I don't like it. I thought it was something the OP just made up. It looks like a first or second attempt at creating a program.

I do tend to dissent quite a lot in bodybuilding discussions. The main point is I don't think advanced bodybuilding workouts are effect for anyone but advanced bodybuilders. That obviously has nothing to do with WS4SB, but that's the main thing I disagree about. I'm also much more for free weights, and think machines should be secondary, and that the combo lever/pulley Nautilis type machines are crap. However I'm not alone in that, it's probably a 50/50 split.

The closest thing to WS4SB I would do is upper/lower split, twice a week, alternating heavy and light. Something like this...
Monday upper 5x5 ramping up to 1 max set
dumbbell chest press
incline dumbbell chest press
underhand T-bar row
neutral close grip chins (use counter balance and weight belt as needed

Tusaday lower 5x5 ramping up to 1 max set
squat
deadlift
Romanian deadlift 1X6-7
front squat or hack machine 1X6-7

Thursday
dumbbell decline fly 4X8-12
cable crossover incline 4X8-12
close grip cable row 4X8-12
underhand cable pulldown 4X8-12
barbell shrug 3X8-12 to failure
lateral raise 3X8-12 to failure
barbell curls 4X8-12 to failure
3 supersets close grip bench OR dips, with skull crushers aim for 5 near failure on the first, 4 or 5 more to failure on the second
hammer curls 1X8-12 to failure
reverse curl 1X8-12 to failure

Friday
Leg press 4X8-12
lunge or hack machine 4X8-12
seated leg curl 4X8-12
laying or single leg, leg curls 4X8-12
calf raises 6X-6-12 to failure

That's just off the top of my head though. It would require occasional deloading of course.

medic002
Novice
Novice

Post by medic002 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:36 am

Um, so which do I choose? why would I take the second over the first? I dont know nearly enough to make an educated judgement. But yeah WS4SB is a real thing

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:48 am

this thread is out of hand.

Cutting thru the specifc recommendations, do the one (or another one not lsited here) that you will stick with for awhile. Better to do too little, and add than too much and get discouraged.

Personally, I'd commit 3 days a week or every other day to Barbell/Db training and have 4-5 exercises each day, that include a Compound leg, a Upper Pull, and Upper Push. I want to hit all big muscles 3 days a week when I strat training
Then I'd throw in some curls one day, lateral delt raises another, and some abs work regularly.. to get my 4-5 exercises.
Doc gave you a good layout for general program building. This stuff is all over the net, just use common sense.

we are filling your head too much but you got to think on your own too.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:36 am

oh no we've confused the guy now!

Medic, Ironman is a big lad and certainly knows his onions, but his program is an advanced, bodybuilding program, whereas you just want something to get you strong and athletic.

I would just do WS4SB, and stop reading this thread in case it makes your head explode!

medic002
Novice
Novice

Post by medic002 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:44 pm

robertscott wrote:oh no we've confused the guy now!

Medic, Ironman is a big lad and certainly knows his onions, but his program is an advanced, bodybuilding program, whereas you just want something to get you strong and athletic.

I would just do WS4SB, and stop reading this thread in case it makes your head explode!
haha its fine, I just stuck with the original program - although with the addition of leg extensions on wed. I actually started the program today, not very impressive weights but its a start: 100lb deadlifts and leg extensions, 75lb leg curls (although everything apart from the deadlift may have been in kg not lbs...)

Thanks for the help everyone, it gives me something to start on :D

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:01 pm

medic002 wrote:Thanks for the help everyone, it gives me something to start on :D
The program doesn't have leg extensions or leg curls?
What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:36 am

Honestly if you're a beginner I'd do none of the above. You need to do something though and you're already confused. I was just commenting on that WS thing or whatever. I don't like splits for beginners usually. I would recommend doing a very simple routine. Flat and incline press, rows, chins, squats, deadlifts. If you do that, you really can't go wrong.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:07 am

robertscott wrote:... in case it makes your head explode!
A while back when we had the thread about how we treat newbies, we never really considered exploding heads. That really cuts down on the once who go on to be regular posters.