full body routine + other questions

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Post Reply
User avatar
ephs
Member
Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Germany

full body routine + other questions

Post by ephs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:04 pm

i was reading the main page and the forum for some months now. and the advice on the page is really different to what the regulars in this forum think. now i rly dont know how much volume i should use at my weight training. first, i want to get down to around 10% bodyfat, then focus on putting strength and muscle on, then back to cutting etc. how long should the bulking and cutting periods be? please give me some advice.

data: 181cm, 74.5 kg, 15% bf

goal: more muscle on upper body, increase speed at soccer

training week:

mon: workout
tues: soccer training
wed: workout
thu: day off/running 10km
fri: soccer training
sat: day off
sun: soccer game
Last edited by ephs on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see" - muhammad ali

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by robertscott » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:52 pm

leave the cutting and bulking cycles to the professional bodybuilders. Just make an effort to clean up your diet - increase your protein (1g per lb of your bodyweight a day), and cut out the refined carbs and vegetable oils.

if you do that, lift weights a couple of times a week and play all that soccer you will lose fat and build some muscle easy enough.

Really make sure you're hitting your protein target. That's important.

Also, don't worry about your bodyfat percentage. Fact is, people are terrible at telling their bodyfat percentage, and usually when someone thinks they're 15 they're actually close to 20. Everyone does it, myself included. How you look in the mirror and how you're performing in the gym are a much better indicator of your progress.

User avatar
ephs
Member
Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Germany

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by ephs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:24 pm

robertscott wrote:leave the cutting and bulking cycles to the professional bodybuilders. Just make an effort to clean up your diet - increase your protein (1g per lb of your bodyweight a day), and cut out the refined carbs and vegetable oils.

if you do that, lift weights a couple of times a week and play all that soccer you will lose fat and build some muscle easy enough.

Really make sure you're hitting your protein target. That's important.

Also, don't worry about your bodyfat percentage. Fact is, people are terrible at telling their bodyfat percentage, and usually when someone thinks they're 15 they're actually close to 20. Everyone does it, myself included. How you look in the mirror and how you're performing in the gym are a much better indicator of your progress.
thanks for the answer!

with bulking/cutting i mean at cutting -500 kcal and at buling +100-200 kcal or so. no freaking cuts with 800kcal or bulks with 4000kcal or so.

yeah, im always eating very healthy and trying to reach a high g/lb protein value.

and what about which exercises and how many sets? any suggestions?
"his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see" - muhammad ali

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by robertscott » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:30 pm

forget about counting calories, seriously, just do what I said about eating properly and the calories'll take care of themselves.

As for exercises, check the sticky at the top of the forum called "A Collection of Beginner Routines" or something like that. Pick one of those routines and give it your all!

User avatar
ephs
Member
Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Germany

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by ephs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:39 pm

this sounds as the best routine here around:

Squat
Bench
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Row
Chins

is it okay to do all these lifts two times a week with maybe 3x10 or 3x7?
"his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see" - muhammad ali

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm

ephs wrote:this sounds as the best routine here around:

Squat
Bench
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Row
Chins

is it okay to do all these lifts two times a week with maybe 3x10 or 3x7?
You've got it! And yes, it's OK to do them two times a week, or alternate them, or do some both times and others just once. 3x10 or 3x7 is fine, if you like it and it works for you. After a few weeks try something different, 4x3 or something. You're on the right path!
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

User avatar
emil3m
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by emil3m » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Jungledoc wrote: You've got it! And yes, it's OK to do them two times a week, or alternate them, or do some both times and others just once. 3x10 or 3x7 is fine, if you like it and it works for you. After a few weeks try something different, 4x3 or something. You're on the right path!
You've got two converts in one week! I really like my 3-day split, but life is getting in the way. Reading Starting Strength is getting me excited about that post by Hoosegow.

ephs, if you select this program, consider investing in Rippetoe's book http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength ... 596&sr=1-1
It's as clear is I've read thus far. The book cuts it into little pieces and the DVD, I hear, chews everything up for ya.
Image

User avatar
ephs
Member
Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Germany

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by ephs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 am

my bodybuilding career was negatively influenced by trainers who recommended machines etc. this forum has lightened me the right way. thank you very much!

@emil: yeah, i also read your topics. this program sounds nice, but i want to keep it more simple and only use 40 min. in the gym or so and this program looks like very long gym time or did i read to less of it? this 3x5->3x6->3x7, then add weight and back to 3x5 program out of the beginner's sticky sounds nice to me. looks a bit more advanced than 3x10 (the standard in the gym world) :)
"his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see" - muhammad ali

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6639
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by stuward » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:38 am

40 minutes is loads. Stick with those 6 exercises. You don't have to do every one, every workout, and if you work out more than twice a week you probably wouldn't want to anyway. Start with specific warmup for a lower body exercise, work your way up to your top set, then lower the weight and add a few quick sets for volume if you want. For the upper body, superset the exercises if you want. You can easily get a full workout done in 40 minutes.
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD

User avatar
ephs
Member
Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Germany

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by ephs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 am

stuward wrote:40 minutes is loads. Stick with those 6 exercises. You don't have to do every one, every workout, and if you work out more than twice a week you probably wouldn't want to anyway. Start with specific warmup for a lower body exercise, work your way up to your top set, then lower the weight and add a few quick sets for volume if you want. For the upper body, superset the exercises if you want. You can easily get a full workout done in 40 minutes.
is it also ok to warm up with running or other dynamic movements? i dont want to make warm up sets and then the full sets, cause i like to run some minutes before the workout. or would the high weight which i need for only 5 reps fv(k my body up then? :grin:
"his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see" - muhammad ali

User avatar
ephs
Member
Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: Germany

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by ephs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:46 am

and im also not so comfortable with deadlifts and weightes squats. could i do them in the smith first to get more into the movements?
"his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see" - muhammad ali

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6639
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by stuward » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:04 am

Some people think that a few minutes of general warmup is helpful. I just walk briskly from the parking lot. If time is limited, jogging before your workout is a waste of time.

Don't do squats and deadlifts in the smith machine. That is more dangerous that a barbell. Work with an empty bar until you have the form 100%, then gradually add weight.
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD

User avatar
emil3m
Apprentice
Apprentice
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by emil3m » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:39 am

ephs wrote:and im also not so comfortable with deadlifts and weightes squats. could i do them in the smith first to get more into the movements?
That book I linked is not for you to create a complicated routine. The routine planning is only 1 chapter at the end. It mostly explains "basic barbell training." The trainers who kept you away from barbells are both a blessing and a curse. You're a blank slate. If you chose to read the book, you will get comfortable with the main lifts. Then, feel free to google rows and chins :)
Image

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:08 am

I'd echo, nix the Smith.

DL and squat are loads of fun. Learn them well before you go heavy. Then go heavy.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4505
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: i need a good full body routine

Post by Matt Z » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:06 pm

If you start out doing squats and deadlifts on a smith machine (or any other machine), you'll need to completely re-learn both exercises when you switch to a barbell.

If you're going to substitute anything for squats try barbell front squats. At least then you'll be using a real barbell. Also, you don't need a spotter for front squats, so they're a good option if you train alone. ... You won't be able squat as much with these as you would on back squats, but you should still use weights that are challanging.

If you can't or won't deadlift, try straight-leg deadlifts (straight-back version). Again you won't be able to pull as much as you would with convensional or sumo deadlifts, but you can still go pretty heavy (eventually).

Post Reply