Introduction and program/diet review

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

KlimtFSU
n00b
n00b

Introduction and program/diet review

Post by KlimtFSU » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Hello everyone. I'm in my 20s, 6'2 and a soft 185lbs. I would probably be lean if I cardio-ed my way to 170, but frankly that's boring as hell and I want to try weight training. My goal is to put on some muscle and lean up, as well as increase my metabolic rate.

My plan is to read and follow Starting Strength, as it seems really simple and very reputable. I work in a hectic environment on my feet full time, so I'm not sedentary.

As far as diet, I probably have about 5-6 servings (in total) of sugary things or fast food (pizza, fries, etc) a week. I'm going to cut that out, and take it very easy on non-fruit/vegetable carbs. I want to try and eat vegetables, especially heavy greens, at least twice a day. I plan to eat fruit a few times a day, particularly pre and post workout; I'm not going to worry about the sugar in them.

Any tips? anything I'm missing? Thanks for the quality reading so far, and see you all around.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Introduction and program/diet review

Post by Dub » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:31 pm

Monitor your protein intake. For muscle you should eat protein around 1g /lb of bodyweight or thereabouts. So around 150-200g of protein per day.

Do you have any experience on resistance training? Or any other training? Any sports background?
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

KlimtFSU
n00b
n00b

Post by KlimtFSU » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm

No focused training, just team sports that emphasized fun over athletic improvement.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Alrigth, I advice you to start light then. Learn form correctly, practice mobility and stability if you are lacking. Quality comes before quantity.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

JasonJones

Post by JasonJones » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:49 pm

I'd reverse your diet strategy. Worry less about cutting out the junk, and start with adding the vegetables. You're not in serious need of weight loss, so I'd worry about establishing healthy habits before trying to kick your bad habits. After six months of good lifting progression and eating more vegetables you'll accomplish more than enough with your physique to not have to worry so much about the 'soft' part. It'll also eat up less will power, making it more likely that you'll stick to the new, good habits.
don't you know there ain't no devil
that's just god when he's drunk

KlimtFSU
n00b
n00b

Post by KlimtFSU » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm a pretty goal-oriented person and can get a bit obsessive, to be honest... I don't think I'll have much trouble kicking the junk.

For me the tough part is finding the time to make fresh veggies and cook balanced meals, since I tend to crowd my schedule. Anyway, I have a target and the means to get there. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully contributing here.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 am

Just order you pizza with more veggies. And more meat.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:35 pm

KlimtFSU wrote:For me the tough part is finding the time to make fresh veggies and cook balanced meals, since I tend to crowd my schedule.
What's time consuming about a cheap 1 lb bag of frozen veggies microwaved with some Chili from a few nights ago liberally mixed in?

Or just a plain lb of veggies. I especially like peas & carrots if going plain for that day.

JasonJones

Post by JasonJones » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:27 pm

jlmoss wrote:
KlimtFSU wrote:For me the tough part is finding the time to make fresh veggies and cook balanced meals, since I tend to crowd my schedule.
What's time consuming about a cheap 1 lb bag of frozen veggies microwaved with some Chili from a few nights ago liberally mixed in?

Or just a plain lb of veggies. I especially like peas & carrots if going plain for that day.
I wouldn't be eating vegetables if it wasn't for the convenience of frozen bags of veggies. And I was a vegetarian for nearly a decade :o
don't you know there ain't no devil
that's just god when he's drunk

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:36 pm

especially the variety you can keep without having to eat them all before parishing

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 am

veggies are easy, you can just chop them up small and put them in anything.

whenever someone says they struggle to eat veggies I always just think that they must suck at cooking