carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

wannabulk
former lurker
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:05 pm

carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by wannabulk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:03 pm

would like to know which is more effective in boosting energy levels to have a good exercise session , carb./protein shake 10mins. prior workout or ceffeine supplement of creatine supplement ?

User avatar
Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Lapland, Finland

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Dub » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:59 am

Creatine has very little to do with your energy levels. They are a main player in force production and they might push your maximal effort a bit further, but the timing doesn't matter.

Caffeine has very mixed reactions in research. First off, if you are a regular caffeine consumer, the effect will be a lot smaller than if you don't normally drink caffeine beverages. Secondly, it has very much variable on different people. Some are affected more by caffeine, some are non-responders. Caffeine will most likely give you more energy, but it only might give your performance a boost. It possibly delays fatique in lower intensity higher rep work when going near failure. But It will take big amounts to get those benefits. Doses of 3-4mg/kg might bring some results, 6mg/kg is more likely to produce some results. This kind of amount of caffeine also migth upset your stomach. Having more energy and feeling more alert doesn't guarantee better performance.

Carb and protein drink prior to working out is my best bet on this one. If you have it like within an hour before working out it should be good for that purpose. A solid meal 1-3 hours before workout should do the trick too. John Meadows recommends adding a small source of fat to your pre-workout to slow down the digestion of the carbs, and to prevent huge spiking and dropping of blood sugar levels. I've never had a problem with just protein/carb shake tho. But does it boost my energy levels? I don't know.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 am

Dub wrote:Creatine has very little to do with your energy levels. They are a main player in force production and they might push your maximal effort a bit further, but the timing doesn't matter.

Caffeine has very mixed reactions in research. First off, if you are a regular caffeine consumer, the effect will be a lot smaller than if you don't normally drink caffeine beverages. Secondly, it has very much variable on different people. Some are affected more by caffeine, some are non-responders. Caffeine will most likely give you more energy, but it only might give your performance a boost. It possibly delays fatique in lower intensity higher rep work when going near failure. But It will take big amounts to get those benefits. Doses of 3-4mg/kg might bring some results, 6mg/kg is more likely to produce some results. This kind of amount of caffeine also migth upset your stomach. Having more energy and feeling more alert doesn't guarantee better performance.

Carb and protein drink prior to working out is my best bet on this one. If you have it like within an hour before working out it should be good for that purpose. A solid meal 1-3 hours before workout should do the trick too. John Meadows recommends adding a small source of fat to your pre-workout to slow down the digestion of the carbs, and to prevent huge spiking and dropping of blood sugar levels. I've never had a problem with just protein/carb shake tho. But does it boost my energy levels? I don't know.
Great information.

Carb/Protein/Creatine/Caffeine Mix

I mix them all together and make it a cocktail.

I works.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:17 am

You certainly do, Kenny!
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 am

I read somewhere once that creatine and caffeine counteracted one another when taken together. Old wives tale or not?
Thanks TimD

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6600
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by stuward » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:32 pm

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Creatine has been reported (anecdotally) to have a subtle, but noticeable stimulatory effect on Cognition. Less potent than classical stimulants like Caffeine, these may be placebo.

Caffeine may adversely interact with creatine's actions on muscle contraction, and should be controlled for before somebody judges how creatine works for them.
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4505
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Matt Z » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Have you considered just getting a little moire sleep at night? I know it's easier said than done, but even an extra hour a night throughout the week can make a big difference in you energy level.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:I read somewhere once that creatine and caffeine counteracted one another when taken together. Old wives tale or not?
How to combine creatine and caffeine – and how not to
http://www.ergo-log.com/creatinecaffeine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whey, Caffeien and Creatine
http://forums.prosource.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks for the links, Kenny and Stu

I don't do caffeine before workouts, but I do drink coffee afterward - supposedly it helps recovery. It is a pleasant diversion from the growing number of aches and pains I get now that I've turned 60 :cry: Or so I read once. Truth or fiction?
Thanks TimD

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:44 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:Thanks for the links, Kenny and Stu

I don't do caffeine before workouts, but I do drink coffee afterward - supposedly it helps recovery. It is a pleasant diversion from the growing number of aches and pains I get now that I've turned 60 :cry: Or so I read once. Truth or fiction?
Carb and caffeine combo speeds up post-training muscle recovery
http://ergo-log.com/carbandcaffeine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"....the stimulant also helps recovery after heavy physical exertion. When combined with carbohydrates, caffeine speeds up the glycogen production in tired muscles."

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:23 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:Thanks for the links, Kenny and Stu

I don't do caffeine before workouts, but I do drink coffee afterward - supposedly it helps recovery. It is a pleasant diversion from the growing number of aches and pains I get now that I've turned 60 :cry: Or so I read once. Truth or fiction?
60! Imagine that!
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6600
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by stuward » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 am

I feel so young.
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 pm

And you are.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:12 am

stuward wrote:I feel so young.
Stu,

I see you are back to "Elder Bashing."

How sad that kids like you and Jungledoc have to beat up on old people to feel good about yourself.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.

User avatar
Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: New York City

Re: carb./protein shake vs. caffeine drink vs. creatine

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:05 pm

Kenny Croxdale wrote:How sad that kids like you and Jungledoc have to beat up on old people to feel good about yourself.
Doc is in the same 60+ boat that I find myself now.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. ”
— Eubie Blake
Thanks TimD

Post Reply