Deadlift form check.

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Proper Knob

Deadlift form check.

Post by Proper Knob » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:28 am

It finally dawned on me yesterday that I can take a video on my IPod. I've been taking my IPod to the gym for over a year and only now i realise.

So here's a video of me deadlifting 182.5kgs/400lbs for a single. I primarily wanted to make sure my lower back was straight but i noticed a few other issues.

http://youtu.be/e5JFaX5m6B0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cons.
1. Bad head position.
2. Shoulders appear slightly in front of the bar.
3. Not finishing with glutes.

Pros.
1. Lower back is flat.
2. It moves faster than I think it does.
3. Hips remain in the same place when I commence the lift.

Any others?
What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

stuward

Re: Deadlift form check.

Post by stuward » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:26 pm

It looked pretty good to me. Some people like the head up, others pack the neck. I think that's a preference thing. The shoulders should be in front of the bar, the scapula is over the bar as it should be.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:43 pm

I'd be happy if my lifts looked like that. i'm guessing you could perform several reps at that weight.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Cool, thanks for that Stu.

5 reps at that weight Rob is my rep max. Maybe time to get 6. I had a vague plan to try and get 10 x 180kgs this year but it hasn't worked out. Still time though.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:19 pm

That was a good lift. Any criticism is just nit picking, really, but i'll give it a shot.

I would just mention the neck. I don't think this is preference, btw. I think it's a flaw, that's my opinion anyway. Some lifters definitely prefer to lift with the head up/back because they feel it helps them (I was taught like this and consciously lifted like this for years), but I still think it's flawed. If they kept their EYES up but chin down, and still pulled the head back into the traps, they would have the same "fix" in terms of form but a more neutral spine (the neck is still part of the spine, so a hyper extended neck is not a neutral spine...)

The point i'm leading to - fix the neck/head and your lock out will feel a million times better. It actually makes the ROM feel shorter. You get a definite "finish" with the hips. Neutral neck and head facilitates hip drive (and better core stability via a better breath).

Again though, nit picking. I can see what you mean with the lock out but it's very subtle.

Lastly, going from head back to chin down is a real pain in the a$$. Not easy, but worth it. Mine still kicks back when things go wrong.
Thanks TimD

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Cheers Kenny.

I started looking up because I felt doing so made my back tighter, I didn't realise how crooked I was. I'll have a play around with the movement and get it better.