Beginner squat help

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

WeedGirl
n00b
n00b

Beginner squat help

Post by WeedGirl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:01 pm

I have a friend that I'm trying to help exercise and hey, squats, nice exercise right? The problem is that she's got a lot of difficulty doing even body weight squats much less anything using a dumbbell or barbell. What are some good exercises to work up to this? I was thinking along the lines of body weight lunges, dumbbell straight leg dead lifts, and machine leg extensions/leg curls. She still has trouble with body weight lunges too though. I think this should sort of work the muscles used for squats? I'm getting this by trawling around on the exrx muscle/exercise directory. Thanks!

stuward

Re: Beginner squat help

Post by stuward » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Start with moblity. If she can't easily do bodyweight squats, don't move her to weighted squats. Have her master the basics first. Start with sitting to a chair and standing. Then hold a weight to her chest and do it, a goblet squat in other words. Lunges are more challenging. Try reverse lunges (like this http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Lunge.html but with no bar) and walking lunges http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadric ... Lunge.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The first is more knee dominant and the second more hip dominant.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

WeedGirl
n00b
n00b

Post by WeedGirl » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks. By sitting, do you mean like a box squat, or just standing up?

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:17 pm

WeedGirl wrote:Thanks. By sitting, do you mean like a box squat, or just standing up?
Like a box squat, or, depending on her ability, just standing. Lying on the floor and getting up using minimal support is another good exercise.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD