Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Jclem23
Novice
Novice

Dumbbell row stance

Post by Jclem23 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:48 am

What is the best way to do DB Rows?

With one knee on a bench like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKEQJ5j2a8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or more like how matt kroc does it (I would be doing regular db rows with strict form, but my stance would be similar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Zgg-upAnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or leaning against a weight rack using the deadstop variation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__mwGSMCiMc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what would be the most mechanically advantageous stance?

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Dumbbell row stance

Post by Matt Z » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:21 pm

The Matt Kroc version is the least strict with the shortest ROM. Meanwhile, leaning on the dumbbell rack is generally considered rude in a busy gym.

Rowing with your knee on a bench is probably your best bet (I do something very similar with a pronated grip), or you could try something similar to the third version leaning on a bench instead of the dumbbell rack.

Jclem23
Novice
Novice

Post by Jclem23 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Matt Z wrote: you could try something similar to the third version leaning on a bench instead of the dumbbell rack.
I tried that yesterday and I liked it quite a bit. I feel like it's easier to lift more weight that way. Thanks for the response.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:39 pm

You're welcome.

senorpancho
Rookie
Rookie

Post by senorpancho » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:51 pm

So on dumbbell row I use the end of a flat bench or even a press chair with both feet on the floor (like the guy using the rack). I also keep my knees and support elbow locked and back flat. I may be doing some torso twisting, however. Most people put the knee opposite the rowing arm on a bench. What is the wisdom for elevating the knee vs feet on the floor? Are both methods suitable for different goals?

BTW I am working with 75 for 8 reps bw of 160, and expect to progress from there, so I'm not "plateaued" by any means.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:12 am

I don't think there is much difference between one knee on the bench, and both feet on the floor with one arm on the bench. Try them both, do whichever you like better.

"Easier to lift more weight" shouldn't really be your criterion.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan