Aspheresis

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

JimKe
n00b
n00b

Aspheresis

Post by JimKe » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:38 pm

This is a question for Jungledoc, probably, but if anyone else has any info, I'm all eyes.

Is there any literature/research regarding aspheresis(donating platelets) and weight training? I donate monthly and I'm wondering if donating might interfere with my recovery. I usually take a day off after donation, but it seems to be a couple of days before I feel like I'm at full power.

Thanks,

Jim

stuward

Re: Aspheresis

Post by stuward » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:34 am

JungleDoc has just finished up his humanitarian mission in the Philippines and is on his way back to PNG. He's currently in Cebu. He gets in the occasional Facebook post but probably doesn't have much time for the internet right now.

After giving blood you will be slightly dehydrated. Sorting that out will make a big difference. The Red Cross says to just stop lifting the day that you give blood. You should be good to go the day after and you should be back to normal within 24 hours. Pay attention to your hydration and see if that doesn't help with your recovery.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Jungledoc

Re: Aspheresis

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:08 am

Thanks, Stu.

I assume that they draw a unit, extract the platelets, and return the unit to you. I wouldn't think that could have much effect on your training. I don't know about the literature, that's just my thought.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan