Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

yakli
n00b
n00b

Complementary strength training

Post by yakli » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:08 am

Hi all,

30 years old, 5'11, 160lb, quite physically active.

I'm looking for a strength program to complement the rather wide array of sports I normally do. I love variety, I don't intend to really excel, but I do like making progress.

A typical week might look like:
Mon circus acrobatics (acrobalance)
Tue Weights
Wed climbing
Thu 10k run
Fri Kung Fu training
Sat climbing
Sun Weights

I also throw in a yoga session for flexibility, balance and fun.

Can you recommend a program for the two weight training days? Something that would complement the other activities and work mostly on strength building. Since recovery is an issue, I try to spread these trainings and the demanding Kung Fu and 10K trainings.

I have read about Starting Strength, but it's a 3-days/week program, seems too demanding to actually combine with other sports, and doesn't necessarily serve my goals. Perhaps I can spread it to twice a week. Would it make sense to add HIIT to the bundle, for stamina (honestly I don't see where that would fit...)?

Thanks a lot!

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Complementary strength training

Post by jlmoss » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Have you looked at Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program? Pretty sure you could break that up into a 2xWeek. Would keep the presses to the beginning of the week and squat/deadlifts to the end of the week just to give your legs that extra day of recovery on Monday. So, Week 1: Tuesday - Press & Sunday - Squats, Week 2: Tuesday - Bench & Sunday - Deadlifts. Repeat this for an 8 week 5/3/1. It would be slow progression but if it fits and you are happy with it, why not?