Three Rep Workout with Lots of Sets?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Immortal2
Novice
Novice

Three Rep Workout with Lots of Sets?

Post by Immortal2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:06 pm

I've really really grown tired of 5+ reps lately and was wondering if a 3 rep scheme would be a good replacement for a little awhile until I get back to doing 5 reps. Are three rep routines worth it?

I was thinking of doing A lot of sets of 3. For example: I wanna do 10 sets of 3 on BB Squat and 8X3 on Bench and 8X3 Rows and Military Press. Basically the Stronglifts workout but isntead of 5X5, I do 10X3.

My Guess: Im going to take a crack out how this would impact me but I want all of you guys to please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me about your experiences. I believe that doing lots of sets of 3 keeps the volume up while training strength much more efficiently than a 5 rep scheme.

Now my questions are simple

1) Should I do a 20 rep burnout set on squats like I do with 5X5?
2) Should I do assistance work?
3) Will this wear me down quickly in your opinion and can it be done for 2 weeks if I'm planning on doing the 3 rep routine three times per week?

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Three Rep Workout with Lots of Sets?

Post by robertscott » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:13 pm

c'mon man, you know this already.

Of course a 3 rep routine would be worth it! You think that a difference of 2 reps is going to make a huge difference? It's 2 reps, realistically how much difference do you think there could be?

Keep doing your 20 rep squat set, keep doing your assistance work and of course you can do a 3 rep routine 3 times a week for 2 weeks! You could do it non-stop for 2 years!

fmd826
former lurker

Post by fmd826 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:15 pm

those 2 reps do make a difference in the amount of muscle recruitment. please watch this video on youtube by Sebastian fitness solutions "Training considerations for Strength,Hypertrophy,Power and Endurance". This guy does a very good job explaining rep ranges, types of muscle and types of weight lifting variations.

Immortal2
Novice
Novice

Post by Immortal2 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:33 pm

robertscott wrote:c'mon man, you know this already.

Of course a 3 rep routine would be worth it! You think that a difference of 2 reps is going to make a huge difference? It's 2 reps, realistically how much difference do you think there could be?

Keep doing your 20 rep squat set, keep doing your assistance work and of course you can do a 3 rep routine 3 times a week for 2 weeks! You could do it non-stop for 2 years!
just wanted to say that I tried my new workout today. I woke up at 5 am and drank 2 cups of raw egg whites (from cartons) mixed with cinnamon, berry juice, and oilive oil. Got to the gym at 6 and blasted through it. ONly thing I added on was 2 sets of 6 after all of the lifts. I still the the 20 on squat. I feel exhausted meaning I will be doing this again. Got my ass kicked hard.