knee pain

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

richie97
Rookie
Rookie

knee pain

Post by richie97 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:53 am

Hey guys on my right knee, from my view below the knee cap where the muscle meets becomes painful when i do a squat or run, i am resting it lots applying a lot of hear, now how am i suppose to do cardio?

stuward

Re: knee pain

Post by stuward » Thu May 01, 2014 11:14 am

Traditional cardio is overrated anyway. Your priority should be to heal your injury and prevent reinjury. Next, strengthen all around the injury. Then find out what you did to injure it and don't do that anymore.

In the meantime, try knee friendly exercises like kettlebell swings or snatches. Your heart will get exercised.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu May 01, 2014 1:06 pm

add some side lying clams to your warm up. I'd bet good money that makes your knees feel loads better

richie97
Rookie
Rookie

Post by richie97 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:48 pm

stuward wrote:Traditional cardio is overrated anyway. Your priority should be to heal your injury and prevent reinjury. Next, strengthen all around the injury. Then find out what you did to injure it and don't do that anymore.

In the meantime, try knee friendly exercises like kettlebell swings or snatches. Your heart will get exercised.

Okay, i think it was a combo of doing plyos right before my cardio day (stairs)

KB swings won't disturb it? and should i be heating it, i also have access to a hot tub, will those two things help?

richie97
Rookie
Rookie

Post by richie97 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:49 pm

robertscott wrote:add some side lying clams to your warm up. I'd bet good money that makes your knees feel loads better

Ill give em a shot!

Thanks man

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 pm

My understanding is that heat helps. I'm not a medical professional so I won't make a recommendation for treatment. Deadlifts and kettlebell swings primarily work the hips and the knees are in support only. Squats, lunges and jumps are more risky since the knee is more involved. Stress is good only to the point that it's too much.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

richie97
Rookie
Rookie

Post by richie97 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:44 am

stuward wrote:My understanding is that heat helps. I'm not a medical professional so I won't make a recommendation for treatment. Deadlifts and kettlebell swings primarily work the hips and the knees are in support only. Squats, lunges and jumps are more risky since the knee is more involved. Stress is good only to the point that it's too much.

okay, so i shouldn't keep my knee completely sedentary, I'm going to do some kb swings tomorrow.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Fri May 02, 2014 2:23 am

How about swimming or water running? Those are very joint friendly cardio-forms to consider.
On the weightroom, use Deadlift variations (like romanians), and kettlebell exercises. Kettlebell swings, snatches and cleans will work for cardio as well.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.