Can I train lower body without raising my squat/dl numbers?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

U539
former lurker

Can I train lower body without raising my squat/dl numbers?

Post by U539 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:09 pm

I mean, I shouldn't be able to lift more than 120 kgs/264 lbs(current squat), because my family has bad spine history, but I want to train at least some leg muscles. So, for example, maybe if I won't train only glutes, maybe it will prevent my weight lifting ability from rising, while I will still have a possibility to train quads, hams, lower back, hip flexors, etc?
(About training isolated from spine, If I will train leg muscles without spine involvement, like reverse hyperextension, then my spine will be unprepared if I accidentally lift more than spine is adapted for(lifting 150 kg when you only did 120 kg in exercises with spine like squat)

Crow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Can I train lower body without raising my squat/dl numbe

Post by Crow » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:53 am

I will take a wild guess after reading your post...

... the most important thing seems to me: What does a "bad spine history" mean exactly?

Normally I would stress the importance to train your body, to strengthen it, so you are able do what is needed. Obviously this has to be done in a safe manner. Learning the correct technique without doing too much weight too fast.

It could be that you are really better off not squatting/deadlifting heavy... (and picking up heavy things isn`t that smart, if thats the case) Then there are possibilities to train the muscles in "isolation" with machines for example...

If I didn`t understand you correctly, please ask again.

stuward

Re: Can I train lower body without raising my squat/dl numbe

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:22 am

There is no absolute limit to what someone can or should lift as long as they train progressively and appropriately and pay attention to their body. I see a number of internet gurus saying things like "don't lift more that x lbs", but that's completely BS. No legitimate strength coach ever said anything like that. If you train your spine, it will adapt by getting stronger. If you don't it will get weaker. Your family history may just be because your family members didn't squat enough.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD