Outdoor Gym Equipment in Canada

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Outdoor Gym Equipment in Canada

Post by Chris_A » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:05 pm

In a previous thread, it was shown that Japan is cracking down on waistlines. It seems Canada is becoming conscientious about fitness as well. In Orillia, they plan on setting up what looks like, at first glance, a children’s playground. But closer inspection reveals it’s actually outdoor gym equipment. Interesting.

http://www.orilliapacket.com/ArticleDis ... ?e=1079867

More info on the "Green Gym".

http://greengym.homestead.com/index.html

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:01 pm

I think it's a great idea. I've seen a few places where there was a sort of circuit set up in a park, with chinning bars, dip bars, etc., and signs suggesting exercises to do at each station. These could be a good addition to something like that. I wonder what the experience is of communities that have installed them--whether people are using them much.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:45 pm

We've had workout stations in parks in NJ for years. I've never seen anyone using them, except the runnings who use them to stretch. I've used the chinup bars once or twice, and the body row bar. This stuff is different than the stuff in NJ, but it's just a bunch of dinky machine exercises and cardio gear. Like people need more than some sneakers to do their cardio!

The problem with waistlines in Canada and the US isn't lack of equipment to train on, that's for sure. It's lack of actual training and proper eating habits. Just seems like a big waste of money.