What is wrong with the world we live in?

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

nygmen

What is wrong with the world we live in?

Post by nygmen » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:45 am

I think/hope it's developed for older people who just can't walk without any help. This device lets them walk around and it lets them keep their independence, thus keeping them active while relying (correct word?) less on healthcare.
But I hope no one will use this device to have less need for physical activity (eg. the fat persons who can't walk a flight of stair without stopping, they just need to lose their fat).

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:49 am

I guess I don't see a problem with it. In fact, I think it's really useful.

If you look at the earlier materials, you see it's meant for people who can walk, but need this for rehab or other assistance:

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/c08063 ... st-Device/

It's really only a bad thing if people get these and use these instead of basic exercise. It's no worse a technology than a wheelchair. Better, even, since it's not totally taking over your bodyweight. It looks like it would make a great tool for hospital rehab clinics.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:19 pm

As a person with osteoarthritus in the right hip, approaching 60, I can tell you that something like this would be a good thing. Would be pretty cool if Medicare covered it, and much more practical than one of those scooter things.
Tim

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Pete & Tim,

Good points.

I saw it writing a paper for Global Marketing, and kind of just freaked out without thinking about the positive implications. I also didn't look into it at all, was just generally appalled.

I guess my expectations of people need to be elevated a touch, because all I thought of was lazy people. I didn't think of the positive health benefits.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Yeah, no worries. Japan has a graying population, and lots of people with posture and hip problems in that older population. They're testing it in the factories in Saitama, but it'll get used mostly for older folks with health problems but some walking capacity. That's my bet anyway.