Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:16 pm

You got hustled. :)

Han

Post by Han » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm scared of any girl who pulls 110 kgs after so little experience dead lifting.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:54 pm

Wouter wrote:The day after tomorrow, I'm going to party with my class: 3-4 guys and 30+ girls

I like it
what class is this?

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:56 am

Han wrote:I'm scared of any girl who pulls 110 kgs after so little experience dead lifting.
She's been doing 'resistance training' for years, which i'm sure includes squatting, too. She's got a great figure, too.

Still having a little fun with her. I told her, "if the thought of me running around in multi coloured lycra is what's needed for you to take your training to the next level, then it's worth it!".

Apparently she could get 8 reps with 135 before that. I think my girl could of got another couple of reps with 135 but since it was unchartered territory, I never pushed it.

My girl was in the gym yesterday and she's raging lol. I like that. I said, "technically if you pull 100KG on Sat, it's a draw". She said, "well i'm pulling 100KG on Saturday then!!!!!". I said, "i'm not sure if it's the right time to work up to heavy single reps but, we'll judge it by your technique. No point risking anything just for a bet". She just said, "i'm pulling 100KG!". I will hold her back if need be, though.

Probably won't know the details of the new bet until the weekend.

KPj

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:47 am

Jebus wrote:
Wouter wrote:The day after tomorrow, I'm going to party with my class: 3-4 guys and 30+ girls

I like it
what class is this?
Nutrition and dietetics

Mind you: this isn't even half my class and a lot have already stopped the studies, started with around 10 guys and 130 girls

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:39 pm

I saw a guy deadlift 495 lbs for 3 reps standing on a ~4" high step at the gym yesterday. Pretty impressive.

Han

Post by Han » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:57 pm

I shared the rack with a guy who squatted up to 160 kgs (350 lbs) last workout. That is by far the heaviest I've seen at our gym. He did about 5x8 too.

Can't imagine what the reaction would be like if one of you 500lb+ squatters rocked up at our gym.

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Han wrote:I shared the rack with a guy who squatted up to 160 kgs (350 lbs) last workout. That is by far the heaviest I've seen at our gym. He did about 5x8 too.

Can't imagine what the reaction would be like if one of you 500lb+ squatters rocked up at our gym.
I know what you mean. The heaviest squatter that I've seen in my gym is actually me, which is pretty pathetic since I'm only squatting about 115 kg.

The all-time highest I've seen in person is 130 kg in another gym I used to go to a long time ago.

Han

Post by Han » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:13 pm

I hear you. I'm right up there with 112.5 kgs. And I'm only 68 kgs so I'm one of the smallest guys.

That said, most people do at least three sets of 8+, the most volume I ever do is generally with 5x5 (for which I'm more like 105-107.5 kgs).

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:49 am

This is just classic commerical gym standards. You need to watch as it can hold you back. You start to think, almost subconsciously, that 'decent' weights are great weights to lift. So, you limit yourself.

I'm sure i've told on here before about a time I spent a couple of months in a local (now closed) PL club. The first time I went in was the day after doing deadlifts, and hitting a PR of 150KG (i think). I was still sore and drained from the previous workout.

I had never seen anyone deadlift, never mind deadlift 150KG before. I had that number in my head for months. When I lifted it, it was clean but it killed me. I felt great about myself. Afterwards a guy in the gym who was a PL started talking to me about training etc, told me about the club, and said I should come along the next night and see it. He said it was DL night but, I could just get a feel for the place.

So, as soon as I walked in I was stunned. Loads of noise - iron plates slamming onto a concrete floor. You don't get that in commercial gyms. There were almost more chalk buckets than lifters. First thing I seen was a guy ripping up and slamming down 500lbs, from a deficit, with what seemed like relative ease. I only meant to stay light. We were pulling whilst standing on a couple of weight discs. I ended up getting 2 reps with 160KG from a deficit. I'm pretty sure that's physically impossible, giving the circumstances so, i'm certain that mentally, a lot of barriers were broken and that's how I managed it. It then took me less time to get from 150 to 180 than it did to get from 130 to 150 and, the first time I hit 180 it was for a few doubles.

Since then i've came to the conclusion that in a typical commercial gym, you need to aim for, if you're not there already, freak status. Commercial gym freak status, in real strength terms probably just means you're strong at a mediocre level.

KPj

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:06 pm

So i've moved from the countryside back to the city and i've joined the local council leisure centre. Where i trained before it was usually me and one other guy in a little room tucked away in the bowels off the building, it was a council run gym but the free weights room was seperate from the room with all the shiny machines in. They didn't want people doing endless steady state cardio being put off by people doing some actual work. The new place is the same, the weights room is tucked away, but it's well equiped with lots of people doing endless pressing and bicep curls, particularly on the preacher curl machine.

I've noticed a rather strange 'training method' that goes on here though. Load up the bar with way too much weight, probably more than somebodies 1RM and then the 'spotter' basically lifts the weight with you. I asked to join in with a couple of youngish lads who were benching, and nearly every set they loaded up too much weight and then i had to 'lift' the weight with them, to the point i was sweating at the end. Bizarre. When i just did my first two sets off 5 (day 1, first cycle 531) and then only one working set, they looked at me as if i'd just dropped out the sky.

One of the lads asked if he could join in with the rest of the workout, and then asked when i would be in next, so i told him tomorrow 3pm. He wants to join in with what i'm doing, which is cool, but i'll de doing deadlifts, Bulgarian SS, and some rollouts. I don't think he's ever trained the lower half of his body in his life. Not sure what he'll think about that.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:41 pm

So I bought a dehydrator last night online, the Excalibur.

It has nine trays and im gonna start making tons of beef jerky.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Proper Knob wrote:So i've moved from the countryside back to the city and i've joined the local council leisure centre. Where i trained before it was usually me and one other guy in a little room tucked away in the bowels off the building, it was a council run gym but the free weights room was seperate from the room with all the shiny machines in. They didn't want people doing endless steady state cardio being put off by people doing some actual work. The new place is the same, the weights room is tucked away, but it's well equiped with lots of people doing endless pressing and bicep curls, particularly on the preacher curl machine.

I've noticed a rather strange 'training method' that goes on here though. Load up the bar with way too much weight, probably more than somebodies 1RM and then the 'spotter' basically lifts the weight with you. I asked to join in with a couple of youngish lads who were benching, and nearly every set they loaded up too much weight and then i had to 'lift' the weight with them, to the point i was sweating at the end. Bizarre. When i just did my first two sets off 5 (day 1, first cycle 531) and then only one working set, they looked at me as if i'd just dropped out the sky.

One of the lads asked if he could join in with the rest of the workout, and then asked when i would be in next, so i told him tomorrow 3pm. He wants to join in with what i'm doing, which is cool, but i'll de doing deadlifts, Bulgarian SS, and some rollouts. I don't think he's ever trained the lower half of his body in his life. Not sure what he'll think about that.
Phil--you could end up doing a lot of good there! You are a missionary for whole-body training!

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by frogbyte » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Jebus wrote:So I bought a dehydrator last night online, the Excalibur.

It has nine trays and im gonna start making tons of beef jerky.
Hey, see if it can get a cucumber so dry that it's hard like a tortilla chip??

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:15 am

You could make low-carb nachos!!

Try zuchinis and tomatoes as well. Apparently they make good chips.

Look up this book in Google Books. How to Dry Foods By Deanna DeLong