Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Also, I'm now over 200 post mark and am no longer an apprentice. yay.

bam

Post by bam » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Jungledoc wrote:I'm sitting in Papua New Guinea, eating Mexicana Peanuts, complete with little cactuses (c'mon spell-checker--so I really have to say "cacti"?) and a sombrero on the label. Product of China.
Mmmmm Mexicana peanuts
Something most people don't realize.... the products that China makes for export are rarely available inside China. I have to have family in the US ship me tube socks (made in China of course).

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:10 am

Jason Nunn wrote:Also, I'm now over 200 post mark and am no longer an apprentice. yay.
Well, now we'll start paying a little attention to the advice you give us! :lol:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:17 am

bam wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:I'm sitting in Papua New Guinea, eating Mexicana Peanuts, complete with little cactuses (c'mon spell-checker--so I really have to say "cacti"?) and a sombrero on the label. Product of China.
Mmmmm Mexicana peanuts
Something most people don't realize.... the products that China makes for export are rarely available inside China. I have to have family in the US ship me tube socks (made in China of course).
Well, here's the one that has me steamed lately. We have 2 different mission teams coming here in the next few months, one from Australia, the other from the US. Both teams are shipping BREAKFAST CEREAL to themselves here, so they won't have to give up their familiar patterns. They are spending money that could be used (if they really wanted to ship something) for maybe medicines for sick babies, or some such trivia. But of course, if they did they would have to make a REAL sacrifice and eat NUTRITIOUS FOOD FOR BREAKFAST!!!

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:00 am

I went into my gym last night, and apparently they got rid of every barbell in the place.

When I asked about it, they told me that I can do all the same exercises on the smith machines. :cry:

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:05 am

frigginwizard wrote:I went into my gym last night, and apparently they got rid of every barbell in the place.

When I asked about it, they told me that I can do all the same exercises on the smith machines. :cry:
Did you kick them in the face ? Are they getting them back?

On an unrelated and random note, one of my female clients has agreed that if I get her a Westside Barbell T-shirt or Tank top, she will wear it everytime she trains.

I think i'm in love.

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:29 am

Jungledoc wrote: Both teams are shipping BREAKFAST CEREAL to themselves here, so they won't have to give up their familiar patterns.
:eek: That's insane.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:07 pm

KPj wrote:
frigginwizard wrote:I went into my gym last night, and apparently they got rid of every barbell in the place.

Did you kick them in the face ? Are they getting them back?
I did not kick them in then face, and they will not be getting them back.
Needless to say, I will be finding a new gym, but I doubt its going to be as cheap as this one was.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:10 pm

That's ignorant

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:24 pm

KPj wrote:
frigginwizard wrote:
On an unrelated and random note, one of my female clients has agreed that if I get her a Westside Barbell T-shirt or Tank top, she will wear it everytime she trains.

I think i'm in love.

Get the tank top most definitely :lol:

bam

Post by bam » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Does Westside offer a tube top?

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:16 pm

Dr said no physical activity. So I stayed away from even body weight exercises for 14 days. Decided to try pushups today. Banged out 3 before I could feel some pressure in my jaw. Decided to quit while I was ahead. Not like I could have done that many more...body is weak due to lack of food. =/

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:37 am

One thing that constantly amazes me is the difference in peoples lifts when I tell them to lift FAST.

I'm not against tempo training or any other bodybuildery stuff. I feel it all has it's place. However when you're trying to lift big weights you need to try and lift them as explosively as possible. I think most know this but probably don't actually do it.

Also, lifting fast with a light weight (aka, speed work) is a great way to see if your technique is really locked down or not. If the bar path is off at all, or you're loose in the slightest, it won't feel good at all! My recent re-introduction of speed benching has made me realise that my technique has became sloppy. One thing I also realised is that a lot of things that I "set" when setting up for a lift are just forgotten about once I actually start lifting. 2 examples are driving the heels down when benching, and pulling the bar apart. I do all this from the time I'm set up until the bar is unracked. When I start lowering, though, I lose it. Specifically those 2 points. I also struggle to keep it, even when aware of it, when I need to take a new breath.... That's atleast what i've worked out myself, anyway. There is probably more.

Case in point - When lifting heavy, lift FAST. And, your technique is never perfect. If you think it is, you're probably robbing yourself of a few extra lbs on the bar.

Somewhat random but hopefully somewhat usefull :grin:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:23 pm

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:33 pm

KPj wrote:One thing that constantly amazes me is the difference in peoples lifts when I tell them to lift FAST.

I'm not against tempo training or any other bodybuildery stuff. I feel it all has it's place. However when you're trying to lift big weights you need to try and lift them as explosively as possible. I think most know this but probably don't actually do it.
I don't understand the slow on purpose. If you want more TUT do more reps or a couple extra sets.

The only reps I've done slow where one's that were super heavy and I had no choice but to go slow and grind the sucker up.

But, then again, I'm no expert