Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ApolytonGP » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Power cleans are normal at my downtown YMCA. There is not a lot of space for them or for deadlifts, but you can find a spot. Dropping the weight is not excused as they facility is not really set up for that sort of thing. But nothing wrong with doing those exercises, per se.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:37 pm

KPj wrote:My manager in the gym pulled us all in for a meeting. Basically peoples standards were getting sloppy - mostly to do with uniform - and it was to get people to be a little more professional. It's things like wearing your name tag (they've still not got me one), and wearing the propper trainer outfit. I do this anyway, so I was sitting kind of smug the whole time.

Then she mentioned footwear. She looked right at me and said we need to wear "black and/or white sports shoes". I was called out as an example of what NOT to wear. I wear chucks. Black and White chucks....

I decided not to give her a spinning back kick and reasoned with her... "what the hells wrong with chucks?". She said, "they're not really sportswear, are they? Are they not more fashionable than anything else?". I said, "when have you EVER seen me trying to be fashionable?????". She mentioned things like them being unsuitable for lifting in a gym due to their lack of "support". I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Anyway I got around it but that's an example of some of the crap I need to deal with from time to time. Weirdly enough i'm supposed to be training my manager tomorrow night. This is going to be good.
Try these shoes: http://www.liftinglarge.com/deadlift_slippers.aspx

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:12 pm

stuward wrote:
KPj wrote:My manager in the gym pulled us all in for a meeting. Basically peoples standards were getting sloppy - mostly to do with uniform - and it was to get people to be a little more professional. It's things like wearing your name tag (they've still not got me one), and wearing the propper trainer outfit. I do this anyway, so I was sitting kind of smug the whole time.

Then she mentioned footwear. She looked right at me and said we need to wear "black and/or white sports shoes". I was called out as an example of what NOT to wear. I wear chucks. Black and White chucks....

I decided not to give her a spinning back kick and reasoned with her... "what the hells wrong with chucks?". She said, "they're not really sportswear, are they? Are they not more fashionable than anything else?". I said, "when have you EVER seen me trying to be fashionable?????". She mentioned things like them being unsuitable for lifting in a gym due to their lack of "support". I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Anyway I got around it but that's an example of some of the crap I need to deal with from time to time. Weirdly enough i'm supposed to be training my manager tomorrow night. This is going to be good.
Try these shoes: http://www.liftinglarge.com/deadlift_slippers.aspx

I deadlift and squat in Vans Slip Ons....I've had PT's come up to me and tell me I'm going to hurt myself with the lack of support or that I'm going to crush my toes if I drop the weight. At that point I take the ear phones out of my ears and pretend I didn't hear them. Thankfully they don't ever repeat it.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Well I didnt see anyone doing power cleans at the gym, while I was there. Nor did I see anyone squat. I didnt bring a pen & paper so I didnt bother logging anything.

I really think we need a thread on classic Gym Moments or something similar. I noticed this big guy came in with a belt, so I thought, oh sick I'm gonna see some 300 lbs squating or something. Nope, He went straight to the smith squat, 285lbs, and only half squats. lol

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:24 am

xshawnxearthx wrote:I've had PT's come up to me and tell me I'm going to hurt myself with the lack of support or that I'm going to crush my toes if I drop the weight. At that point I take the ear phones out of my ears and pretend I didn't hear them. Thankfully they don't ever repeat it.
That's a classic one. The "drop the weights" thing. I've had comments because, when teaching someone to DL, i'll often get them to do it in their socks, if they have big soft heeled cross trainers on. Amazing the difference it makes. I've heard the one about weights being dropped before.

One i've used is, "would be great to do a study. Take 2 groups. One group wears cross trainers. The other is barefoot. Then we drop a 20KG disc on everyones feet. I think it's safe to say that both groups would be in pain. I know crosstrainers cost an arm and a leg and all, but there's really nothing special about the cloth that's covering your feet."

"Ever seen people working on a building site with cross trainers on? Noooo.... They wear Rigger boots or something with a steel toe cap. These offer protection. Cross trainers, no....".

That arguement cracks me up. What I would love to do the next time I hear it is just stamp on the other persons foot and ask how much protection they felt their footwear offered.

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:27 am

Jebus wrote: I really think we need a thread on classic Gym Moments or something similar. I noticed this big guy came in with a belt, so I thought, oh sick I'm gonna see some 300 lbs squating or something. Nope, He went straight to the smith squat, 285lbs, and only half squats. lol
We've had various. I think this thread, as well as being random, has just become the lazy posters thread.

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5345&start=0

If you look through a few pages you'll find various threads basically related to stupid stuff you see at the gym.

KPj

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:29 am

Hey Stu- Very good answer to my question, well done.

and know for something completely different.

On the deadlifting in crosstrainers, I had the same thing happen, kicked off my shoes to do deads and 2 seconds later the manager was there with the shoes offer protection crap, I'm told him really, don't you think its more likely I'll damage my foot from lifting in cushioned shoes than some how a weight magically rolling off the end of the bar and crushing my feet, and really, unless you have a steel toed shoe, whats the difference?

You would think that people who work in the business would have a fricking clue.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:35 am

I'm trying to picture how my toes get under the weights while I'm deadlifting. My stance just isn't that wide.

I've been lifting barefoot for as long as I've been lifting. Toes intact.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:45 am

It just fees so unnatural to do leg exercises in cross trainers. Hell, I'd rather run barefoot!

Back to random. Since I've been unwired(monday), I've gained 8lbs. I need to get back to the gym asap!

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 am

You're starting to eat again.

As far as protection goes, even steel toe boots won't protect against a heavy deadlift landing on your toes. Have you ever seen someone's toes after being run over by a forklift? The toe cap curls over and amputates the toes. Anyway, sneakers only protect against stubbed toes. Tell the gym manager to remove half the benches and machines so people have room to walk and lift weights without bumping into stuff.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:13 am

:red: you guys are making me feel retarded for doing DLs and squats in cross trainers. I dont do it because I think there is an advantage, I just dont want to buy new shoes.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:32 am

frigginwizard wrote::red: you guys are making me feel retarded for doing DLs and squats in cross trainers. I dont do it because I think there is an advantage, I just dont want to buy new shoes.
So do I for the same reason. They're probably 5 years old now. They've been worn outside about twice. Ya know, those slippers are only $8. Hmmm...

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:38 am

stuward wrote:
frigginwizard wrote::red: you guys are making me feel retarded for doing DLs and squats in cross trainers. I dont do it because I think there is an advantage, I just dont want to buy new shoes.
So do I for the same reason. They're probably 5 years old now. They've been worn outside about twice. Ya know, those slippers are only $8. Hmmm...
That is really cheap, unfortunately, they do not come in my size.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:44 am

XL is up to 13. That's big enough for me. They have terry cloth uppers so they should stretch a bit.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:57 am

15 :cry: