Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:15 am

nygmen wrote: So Robert, I believe you said you could see your abs, which means you got me beat.
yeah but it's a hollow victory. I'm only 180lbs.

up 50lbs from when i started at 130lbs though, so I'm just going to keep lifting and eating. I'll get there one day!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 am

Aw, man. I wish I could think of something to say. Yeah, it sucks like crazy.

But it has it's comforts. Hopefully this will be something that she forgets quickly.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:49 pm

TimD wrote:The one time I tried that crap with my father, I ended up almost taking a 3 legged race to the hospital to get his foot surgically removed from my a$$. That was back in the 50's, and children were taught respect from minute one. You addressed adults as Mr or Mrs, never spoke unless spoken to, and NEVER called an adult by their first name. That's something you had better talk about with your fiancee, because if you don't get things straight from the get-go, you will have problems in the future.
Tim
I should have completed my statement. It will be a problem when we have kids because our well behaved kids will see the other kids in her family acting up and them not getting in trouble. Her and I are on the same page as far as parenting goes.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:50 pm

hoosegow wrote:Alzheimer's disease sucks. Mom called me at 4:00 this morning. The man at the wellness center (where the residents go to get their meds) told her she could go home. She wanted me to come pick her up. Through the desperate elation in her voice I could here her crying for joy. I got to be the bad guy and tell her she was home and wasn't going back to her house. You actually could hear her heart breaking over the phone. In desperation she cried, "What do I do? I'm all ready to go." I told her to hang on and I'd call the nursing home to see what's going on - and chew the guy's ass out for his poor choice of words.

While on the phone with the nursing home as they entered her room, I could here her sobbing. The deep uncontrollable sobbing that nothing can be done to make it better until you just cry yourself out. Great - I devestated my mother at 4 AM.

Oh, there are no men working the night shift. She either dreamed it or had a hallucination.

Alzheimer's sucks.
It really does. Like Doc said, hopefully she forgets.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:37 pm

TimD wrote:The one time I tried that crap with my father, I ended up almost taking a 3 legged race to the hospital to get his foot surgically removed from my a$$. That was back in the 50's, and children were taught respect from minute one. You addressed adults as Mr or Mrs, never spoke unless spoken to, and NEVER called an adult by their first name. That's something you had better talk about with your fiancee, because if you don't get things straight from the get-go, you will have problems in the future.
Tim
Thats pretty much the way my parents tought me... Although I never have had to call an adult by there last name.

It dosn't bother me at all, and I'm still a kid.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:41 am

Damn sorry to hear Hoose, that would dent anyones heart.

And lol shawn - I have a 5 year old niece and shes not too bad but has pretty much done what you described to us, but fortunately we are turning it around now and so are her parents (my bro) -

She would scream like a banshee and try to break stuff when she didn't get her way but now we just use punishments that last a couple of days - like no treats what so ever if she demands repeatedly (i.e. that she's going to eat a full bag of candy before lunch, she threatened not to eat anything if it wasnt the candy, so we stopped her having candy for 3 days)

Also starting to raise our voice at her when she gets bad enough rather than just trying to reason with her.

I'm a bit like KPj in that any sort of common ground or interest is either short lived or forced - I am happy to see her for 20 minutes, or happy to sit with her while she does something creative/playful, but as soon as the selfishness (which I guess is a natural human trait people have to learn to get around) kicks off and the total lack of logic, bye bye patience, hello total contempt.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:52 am

robertscott wrote:
nygmen wrote: So Robert, I believe you said you could see your abs, which means you got me beat.

up 50lbs from when i started at 130lbs though, so I'm just going to keep lifting and eating. I'll get there one day!
To gain 50lbs and still have them showing is great IMO - I'm 215lbs and started about the same (pretty much a fattie but not too bad, 20% BF or something) but I think I'll have to either train another year or drop down to 190lbs to get mine to show at the moment, to add 50lbs and have them show, good stuff. I guess starting with fat/too much weight is different than starting very slim but still, if I went to 240lbs (some how :)) theres no way I'd have abs :)

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:04 am

RobertB wrote: I'm a bit like KPj in that any sort of common ground or interest is either short lived or forced
Yeah, it's a great line for the ladies..... "i hate kids". Really shows your sensitive side.

My (step)sister just had another baby. When my dad was asked if he wanted to hold her, he said, "naaah... I've done all that. Had 3 of my own". Stayed around for 20 mins, then went back to work. When at work, he sent one of the admin girls out to buy baby clothes for her. LOL. So, i'm putting the blame for my views on him.

When my other sister questioned his sentimental side, he just said, "real men just bring home the bacon". Which reminds me. I need to eat.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:18 am

RobertB wrote:
robertscott wrote:

To gain 50lbs and still have them showing is great IMO - I'm 215lbs and started about the same (pretty much a fattie but not too bad, 20% BF or something) but I think I'll have to either train another year or drop down to 190lbs to get mine to show at the moment, to add 50lbs and have them show, good stuff. I guess starting with fat/too much weight is different than starting very slim but still, if I went to 240lbs (some how :)) theres no way I'd have abs :)
thanks man, yeah being super skinny definitely helped. I think I've got really good genetics for not gaining fat but awful genetics for gaining muscle. Also I've tried the whole "clean bulk" route so it's taking forever.

On the subject of kids:

My eldest sister has a daughter, she must be like 5 or 6. It's weird, she's the most well behaved kid I've ever seen in my life. She's always really polite, never misbehaves, always does what she's told and I think I've seen her get scolded maybe twice in my whole life.

The reason I think for this is my sister is REALLY strict with her diet. Like militaristic. The only sugar the kid gets is a glass of apple juice with breakfast. That's it. If there's no apple juice at breakfast then tough, she doesn't get a glass with her lunch or anything like that, once the breakfast apple juice window has shut it stays shut. And there's no way in hell she'd ever get any sweets (candy to you yanks). She doesn't even ask for them because she's learned they're not for her.

At xmas she gets one of those tiny little milky bars and that's her lot.

Now, I don't personally think that there's any need to be as strict with her diet as that, I mean come on, kids should get the occasional sweet surely? That's just my thoughts though and I'm not a parent so it's not for me to criticise. And besides, you can't argue with the results, the kid's an angel.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 am

Well, for a dissenting view, I love kids. Babies are the best, but they are OK when they get bigger. They are lots of fun, most of the time. I agree that spoiled ones are very trying.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:20 am

So, for the first time ever, i'm going to a halloween party, and actually dressing up. Never done that before. This time though, i've been pressured from all angles. So I did some internet shopping.

I ordered The Predator outfit. Looked good in the picture. I had it all planned out. It would be Predators night off. He's letting his hair down. Instead of slaughtering humans for fun, he would be drinking beer, eating pizza, and generally being an idiot. But noooo.. Didn't fit. It's kind a funny because it feels like i'm wearing a bench shirt - and looks like that from the back. So now I need to re think it.

I'm bored thinking about it now, though.

* big sigh *

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:44 am

RobertB wrote:Damn sorry to hear Hoose, that would dent anyones heart.

And lol shawn - I have a 5 year old niece and shes not too bad but has pretty much done what you described to us, but fortunately we are turning it around now and so are her parents (my bro) -

She would scream like a banshee and try to break stuff when she didn't get her way but now we just use punishments that last a couple of days - like no treats what so ever if she demands repeatedly (i.e. that she's going to eat a full bag of candy before lunch, she threatened not to eat anything if it wasnt the candy, so we stopped her having candy for 3 days)

Also starting to raise our voice at her when she gets bad enough rather than just trying to reason with her.

I'm a bit like KPj in that any sort of common ground or interest is either short lived or forced - I am happy to see her for 20 minutes, or happy to sit with her while she does something creative/playful, but as soon as the selfishness (which I guess is a natural human trait people have to learn to get around) kicks off and the total lack of logic, bye bye patience, hello total contempt.
His mom and grandma do the no thing, but do it in the sweetest voice like he's still a baby. My fiancee got all of her parenting skills via witnessing the kids she baby sits for and how their parents are. I'm looking forward to raising kids with her because of this. He listens to her when she reasons with him, but since she doesn't see him often she usually just lets it go and thinks it's cute. He was very receptive to what I said and the way I said it.

I know it will be different when it's my own child, but my kids will know that what mommy and daddy say goes. There will be no "but why?" or anything like that. If I tell you that you need to finish the food on your plate before you can watch tv, better start eating kid.

It really sucks because there is a $h1t ton of outside forces giving this kid a raw deal and the people who should be working hard to make it better just baby him. He's a sweet kid for the most part. He was really good and gentle with our cats(especially my old cat) and whenever I told him something he listened. I may have gotten a weird look from the grandma when I would say it, but he listened. I can't say the same for how they were.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:49 am

Jungledoc wrote:Well, for a dissenting view, I love kids. Babies are the best, but they are OK when they get bigger. They are lots of fun, most of the time. I agree that spoiled ones are very trying.
I'm really looking forward to having kids.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:52 am

Probably time for a separate thread about "I hate kids that don't behave" and make way for the return of randomness.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 am

I just had 600 calories of unhomogenised goodness. It's been a while...Been really craving it... From Jersey Cows, too.. This stuff is becoming like Gold dust. Gets more and more difficult to find.