Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Well I still look up to you, you are one of my many elders.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Nevage wrote:Well I still look up to you, you are one of my many elders.
you'll get there one day young grasshopper.

And mate, it's like 2 in the morning! What are we doing posting at this time?

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:45 pm

I hate Vegans, Vegetarians I can handle but Vegans, omg lol.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:00 pm

I've officially turned something simple into way more complicated.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 pm

I love this site for the following 2 reasons:

1) No hate here. People act with respect, even during disagreements. It is awesome.

2) This :kermit:

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:36 am

Proper Knob wrote:
The morality of taking steroids is surely only an issue when they are against a sports rules. If someone wants to take them, no problem. If somebody takes them in a competetive sport and they are banned, that's when the issue of morality surfaces.
Yeah, I think it's more complicated than that, though. It's possible that it's so widely used at the elite levels, and has been for years, that a lot of the records that stand would be invalid. It would essentially make a lot of sports or athletics a lot less exciting. That probably doesn't sound like a bad thing to a lot of people, but for the easily led and misinformed general public, they would just switch off.

Although, that's one way to look at it but it may not be the best way to look at it. The only thing I really know about it is that it's complicated, and beyond my current understanding, but I suspect that they're used a lot more than people realise, or care to admit.

Proper Knob wrote: But surely it depends on what those other people are doing?!
Yes, of course. There's always exception. If what other people were doing turned into a personal attack on me or a loved one then it would bother me. However beyond that, I'm just not that bothered.

I remember my grandads birthday dinner last year. My Aunty, who works for a Trade union, and her partner, who also does some kind of uniony thing, were there. My dad and grandad are proud capitalists. My dad runs his own company, and has staff in India, and Belarus. This REALLY riled my aunties partner aswell as some other comments my dad cunningly made. He was so fired up. I thought he was going to cry - seriously. I felt like I was sitting in the house of commons at one point, will all the violent "fist waving" that was going on.

I'm sitting there thinking - Have a Whisky....Chill.... Go back to work on Monday and do your job to the best of your ability, you're havin' dinner for crying out loud. I think the dinner probably ruined his whole week.

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:45 am

robertscott wrote:but you're not kidding, are you Kpj? Admit it, you hate vegans. I know you do. You're a walking hate crime.
I actually go out looking for them at night. I have 4 held captive in a secret location as we speak. I plan to starve them until they turn to cannibalism. That'll teach 'em :evil:

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:35 am

KPj wrote:
robertscott wrote:but you're not kidding, are you Kpj? Admit it, you hate vegans. I know you do. You're a walking hate crime.
I actually go out looking for them at night. I have 4 held captive in a secret location as we speak. I plan to starve them until they turn to cannibalism. That'll teach 'em :evil:
I immediately thought of Cartman and his 'hippie-hunting'

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:16 am

KPj wrote:I actually go out looking for them at night. I have 4 held captive in a secret location as we speak. I plan to starve them until they turn to cannibalism. That'll teach 'em :evil:
I have a local vegan co-operative supermarket near to where i live. The best fruit & veg, nuts, coffee, tea and the most amazing peanut butter ever.

The vegetarian shop in town also sells unhomogonised milk. If you want a regular supply of some, vegetarian stores might be a better option than supermarkets.

Be warned though, someone told me that as soon as you walk into a shop with no meat, you lose 15% of your strength by default........... :wink:

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:06 am

Proper Knob wrote:
KPj wrote:I actually go out looking for them at night. I have 4 held captive in a secret location as we speak. I plan to starve them until they turn to cannibalism. That'll teach 'em :evil:
I have a local vegan co-operative supermarket near to where i live. The best fruit & veg, nuts, coffee, tea and the most amazing peanut butter ever.

The vegetarian shop in town also sells unhomogonised milk. If you want a regular supply of some, vegetarian stores might be a better option than supermarkets.

Be warned though, someone told me that as soon as you walk into a shop with no meat, you lose 15% of your strength by default........... :wink:
you'll end up with a Vitamin Beef deficiency. Symptoms include a loss of strength on all your lifts, crying at disney films and listening to Enya

callipygian50
Novice
Novice

Post by callipygian50 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:22 am

robertscott wrote: you'll end up with a Vitamin Beef deficiency. Symptoms include a loss of strength on all your lifts, crying at disney films and listening to Enya
I'm not as into all this paleo stuff as many of youa re. But I have to admit I always feel a bit irked when people start explaining to me that they've cut out all red meat and eat only fish and poultry.

I've tried to ask why. If they told me they didn't enjoy beef or pork, I would understand that. But I can never understand the health claims of the ethics claims. If you think fat is bad, I can understand cutting out bacon, pork rinds and really fatty cuts of meat-- but lots of pork is very low fat. And ethics? Is raising and killing chickens somehow "less bad" than killing beef cattle? Is the concern impact on the environment? Isn't over fishing an issue?

The answers never make sense to me. I don't argue. I just keep eating beef, pork, chicken, dairy, eggs when I prefer to do so. If they are guests in my house, I try to know what people can't eat in advance and prepare several courses to accommodate allergies, weight loss diets, religious restrictions, and even mysterious self imposed restrictions. (These include sister who is gluten intolerant, friend who is allergic to zillions of things including milk and eggs and has decided to avoid all additives, beef, pork, and well.. tons of stuff, my weight loss diet, niece who periodically decides to be vegetarian, then not, mom who won't eat tomatoes or peppers etc. The one with the allergies to tons of stuff is the most difficult to accommodate -- but she knows it and brings her own free range organic chicken breasts. )

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:55 am

i don't follow a paleo diet really, well I do try and limit refined grains and keep carbs around the workout window, but I'm not too militant about it really.

If people don't want to eat red meat or saturated fat or whatever else OK magazine tells them is bad for them then fine. I don't agree with it but it comes back to what KPj said earlier about how if it's not doing you any harm, let others do whatever they like. No matter how misinformed

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:01 am

Doing what you like is fine, but don't assume it has no effect on others. You are always an example for those that look up to you and if your behaviour is not what you would like from them, then rethink your behaviour. Sorry if that sounds preachy but I have to remind myself of that once in a while, especially when I'm driving with my kids in the car.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:24 am

Personally, every time some random source calls red meat the source of all health problems, I get excited.
The less people eat red meat, the cheaper its gonna get.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:22 am

stuward wrote:Doing what you like is fine, but don't assume it has no effect on others. You are always an example for those that look up to you and if your behaviour is not what you would like from them, then rethink your behaviour. Sorry if that sounds preachy but I have to remind myself of that once in a while, especially when I'm driving with my kids in the car.
It's funny, because I have became aware of some of my clients adopting my views and such in the gym. I train this girl on a Friday night. She's one of my favourites - some clients just really "lift" you. I actually feel guilty taking money from her :red:

Anyway, to paint the picture, she's about 5 ft, tops. Very curvey, fit looking, and a very "bubbly" personality. Most women, especially at first, are intimidated by the weights area. This girl was fine straight away, and she'll often flash a double bicep pose in the mirror - when it's busy - to show me how "toned" her arms are getting. She talks away to a lot of the older, bigger guys, too, because they love her. They always encourage her.

Last friday, she was standing by the rack herself as I got aerobic steps to create a "box" for her box squats. I came back and she was giggling out loud. There were 2 boys decline benching, not with much weight I should add, and roaring like idiots. She was pretty much pointing and laughing, and you could tell they were a bit embarrassed. Then the major grunter got up, and she just said to him, "ummm...What was with all the noise? That not a bit much? and, eh... WHY do you have a weight belt on?", and giggled some more.

You kinda had to be there, but it was great. She also trains with an intensity that puts 95% of the gym to shame. I think the "intimidate-ee" is slowly becoming the "intimidator".