Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:24 pm

KPj wrote: She talks away to a lot of the older, bigger guys, too, because they love her.
Ahem....

Older - bigger here :hello2:

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:37 pm

stuward wrote:Doing what you like is fine, but don't assume it has no effect on others. You are always an example for those that look up to you and if your behaviour is not what you would like from them, then rethink your behaviour. Sorry if that sounds preachy but I have to remind myself of that once in a while, especially when I'm driving with my kids in the car.
I can relate to this, I was a sailor early in life and still have the colorful language to prove it.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:33 pm

^^^
LOL!

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:19 pm

I just discovered Almond butter!

Never liked peanuts so didnt like peanut butter, but now with this new marvelous discovery I'm gonna set a new PR in the near future, 10,000 Cals in 1 day.

And where the hell is everybody???

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:55 am

Our internet system got fried by a power surge last Thursday. We're waiting for parts, so may have internet by sometime tomorrow. At the moment I'm at a friend's coffee plantation, but I can't come here very often. So I'm kinda of caught up.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:51 pm

Wow. The VSAT modem blew in a surge Thursday evening, and I walked into the house at lunch time on Monday, and internet is up and running! Amazing to have a major problem like that solved so quickly.

Now I can bother you all at my accustomed rate.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Delta airlines and National car rental suck. Was supposed to fly to columbia,sc last night. Got stuck in Atl. Had to rent a car and drive the rest of the way. Working on 3 hours sleep. Gonna lift at wolf fitness in lexington tonight.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:09 pm

I saw a bald eagle at work today.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Matt Z wrote:I saw a bald eagle at work today.
Matt--That was your 2999th post.

On behalf of my fellow wizards, congratulations on your new rank. Your next post will do it! We'll schedule the big induction ceremony for next week. Or maybe the week after that. Or sometime.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
Matt Z wrote:I saw a bald eagle at work today.
Matt--That was your 2999th post.

On behalf of my fellow wizards, congratulations on your new rank. Your next post will do it! We'll schedule the big induction ceremony for next week. Or maybe the week after that. Or sometime.
I bet his next post will be a new PR lol.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:59 am

It's been 52 days since I've last gone to the local gym. 2 surgeries and many days recovering. Jaw is almost back to normal. I'm lacking a little ROM....I have a feeling that what I have now will be it, unfortunately. It's still good but not what it was. Knee is still a little sore but I'm able to walk w/o crutches and I get my stitches out Friday.

Tonight will be my first day back on my road to fitness. I'm going to spend the next few weeks really working on my upper body till my knee doctor tells me I'm good to start really working it. Hopefully my recovery is quick and I can get back to squats and dl's very soon.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 am

Shawn--remember to test 1RMs to compare to before the surgery! We want to see the results of this grand experiment!

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:33 am

Jungledoc wrote:Shawn--remember to test 1RMs to compare to before the surgery! We want to see the results of this grand experiment!
I only seriously tested ORM's in squat and deadlift. Never had a spotter to really do my bench. =/ Unfortunately I won't be able to squat or DL heavy for a few more weeks if I'm lucky with the knee surgery.

My original thought process was that I'd be able to jump right back into lifting as soon as I was unwired. Since my doctor put the kibosh on lifting until I hit the 8 week mark(which is next Monday) I figured I would get the knee surgery out of the way. I couldn't wait anymore with the knee since it was such a problem during my jaw recovery. Only thing I'll be able to post will be the before and after of my other lifts...not ORM's though.

I wish I could have put off the knee surgery for another few weeks so I could actually test the squat and dl, but it was just so nagging that I couldn't wait any longer.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:43 am

There's this big guy in my gym. He's about 6'4, and I estimate him to be around 250lbs, practically untrained.

He actually used to play American Football. Yes, in Scotland. And he's always had a physical job. He carries a fair amount of fat, too but has a big frame. He's about 35.

Anyway, it kinda made me realise the importance of bodyweight and the bench press. I've heard it before i.e. best way to improve your bench press? Gain 15lbs bodyweight.

Well, this guy started lifting about 1 year ago but, just messing around. He's quite friendly now with the BB guy I train (from "calling all BB's Thread), so he's hooked now on lifting. He came in on our bench session last night so I spent some time fixing his technique.

If you've ever seen Bruce Willis in "unbreakable", when he's benching and him and his kid keep adding more and more weight and he can do it all. Well, it kinda felt like that.

This was his first time benching without a spot and, as I said, he's a beginner. We got got up to 4 reps with 270lbs. He had never went over 225 but, out of fear of no spotter more than anything else. His technique still needs a lot of work. I was dying to see what he could max but time went on. He could easily of went to 300lbs. He wasn't using half as much leg drive as he could of and he wasn't even half as tight as he could be with some practice. I'm almost tempted to train the guy for free. Then I could be in a situation where I could say, "i took this 35 year old beginner to a 400lbs bench press in 3 months!".

270lbs is where it starts to feel like dead weight for me. I worked my a$$ off to get 300lbs. Sure, I weigh 175 right now, so that's kinda significant. But seeing someone who's hardly even benched make those weights look like air was....well.... I don't know.... It puts things in perspective anyway. I need to eat more. A LOT more. I just dropped close to 15lbs aswell, so i'm in a good position to start putting some good weight on.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:32 am

Erg - I guess I have the office geek vs manual worker excuse but my bench is only 160lbs and for someone to throw 300 up... Jellies! :) - I guess I've only done it for a year too though so it's not like I'm 5 years in and he's destroying me.

Not got a major ego about any of it, rarely discuss my max numbers with people in figures, but I just don't like my deadlift closing in to triple my bench.

You up for driving to manchester every sunday KPJ? Ill do you a brew and a sausage and egg butty as payment. :smile:

(oh PS im 6'4 220lbs so not a mad way off him build wise)