Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:42 am

Nevage wrote:
robertscott wrote:
Nevage wrote:Surely a kilt's just basically a skirt? Primark should be whackin them out soon!
How. Dare. You.

That's it Nevage, from now on me and you aren't friends anymore.
Haha sorry I was pretty drunk but really how much are they? I thought under 50 quid? Or is it like a suit where they can get real expensive?
They're like a suit and usually custom made. To get a good one can be quite expensive. The ones you get for 50 quid would be acrylic and likely poorly fitting. That might be all Hoosegow is looking for though.


hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2004
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:26 am

If a good Scottsman would choose to buy a kilt for everyday use (not for dress or church) what would he get and where would he go to get it.

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:46 am

I can't speak for good Scotsmen but if I wanted something to wear to a highland games competition, I'd go with a sport kilt.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:11 am

if I was going to buy a kilt I would expect to pay upwards of about [1 million dollars] for everything. I only ever really wear them for formal things like weddings. If it was for everyday use I'd wear the same kilt but have a cheaper jacket. To be honest if your'e just wearing it in the pub to watch football in, any old rag would do, but a proper kilt for proper formal occasions is not cheap at all.

It's not just like you buy the kilt either, you've also got to get a jacket, waistcoat, belt, ruche, sporran, socks, shoes, flashes, cufflinks and sgian-dubh

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2004
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:21 am

I'm thinking kilt, combat boots, and an EliteEfs STRONGER t-shirt.


Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Post by Jebus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:17 pm

hoosegow wrote:I'm thinking kilt, combat boots, and an EliteEfs STRONGER t-shirt.
Are you gonna work out in that?

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Columbus, IN

Post by A. moss » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:22 pm

So I'm starting MMA in a few weeks. I'm starting at middle weight and working up to LH. Pretty excited.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:30 am

robertscott wrote:if I was going to buy a kilt I would expect to pay upwards of about [1 million dollars] for everything. I only ever really wear them for formal things like weddings. If it was for everyday use I'd wear the same kilt but have a cheaper jacket. To be honest if your'e just wearing it in the pub to watch football in, any old rag would do, but a proper kilt for proper formal occasions is not cheap at all.

It's not just like you buy the kilt either, you've also got to get a jacket, waistcoat, belt, ruche, sporran, socks, shoes, flashes, cufflinks and sgian-dubh
I wear a ruche, sporran, and flashes all the time. My sgian-dubh I don't wear very often, because it tends to chafe in sensitive places.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:49 am

Jungledoc wrote:
robertscott wrote:if I was going to buy a kilt I would expect to pay upwards of about [1 million dollars] for everything. I only ever really wear them for formal things like weddings. If it was for everyday use I'd wear the same kilt but have a cheaper jacket. To be honest if your'e just wearing it in the pub to watch football in, any old rag would do, but a proper kilt for proper formal occasions is not cheap at all.

It's not just like you buy the kilt either, you've also got to get a jacket, waistcoat, belt, ruche, sporran, socks, shoes, flashes, cufflinks and sgian-dubh
I wear a ruche, sporran, and flashes all the time. My sgian-dubh I don't wear very often, because it tends to chafe in sensitive places.
um, a sgian dubh is worn in your sock, sounds like you've got your sock pulled up WAY too high

User avatar
Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:52 am
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

Post by Wouter » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:03 am

So Hoose ...
Are you going to squat in those kilts?
Commando style?
In a planet fitness?

Nevage
Member
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Nevage » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:58 am

How do you say sgian dubh?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member
Posts: 2004
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Location: Texas

Post by hoosegow » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:59 am

Planning on it.

I'll wear it the way it is traditionally worn (provided it isn't itchy wool).

And Planet Fitness has no power racks, so no.

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:21 am

Nevage wrote:How do you say sgian dubh?
'skeen doo'

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 4424
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Post by robertscott » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:16 pm

stuward wrote:
Nevage wrote:How do you say sgian dubh?
'skeen doo'
good lad Stu, I award you 10 Scotland points.

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6650
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:33 pm

robertscott wrote:
stuward wrote:
Nevage wrote:How do you say sgian dubh?
'skeen doo'
good lad Stu, I award you 10 Scotland points.
Coincendentally, my son just took a book on Gaelic out of the library. He says he want's to learn to speak it.


Post Reply