Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Velcropop
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Velcropop » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:32 pm

Jebus wrote:It seems that not wearing padding has its benefits, as in, you know your limits. Your not going to charge full speed into someone
Try telling that to Jared Waera-Hargreaves. Bear in mind that this was in the 79th minute of what ended up being a 100 minute game (best game of the season, imo).

*edit* or these guys (this one is pretty spesh, double ko).
Jebus wrote:Keep in mind my only knowledge of the game rugby is from the last part of that movie with Matt Damon... It seems like 10 guys grinding on each other until the ball found its way outside lol.
Yeah that's Rugby Union, not to be confused with Rugby League (or in some European countries, Rugby 15's (Union) and Rugby 13's (League). I'm more of a League fan as the rules in Union can get pretty finicky at times, but they're both rough and good to watch.

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:36 am

popular aussie sports:

do some googling for afl,
cricket (which may not be popular in Australia for a while)
and lawn bowls.

actually, lawn bowls is the best of bowling and beering while outside in the sun.

most greens literally have beer glass holders at each end.

i think my major conditioning activities are to prepare me for post game celebrations for sports i don't play.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:11 am

Lawn bowling is awsome.

Pathoslogical
n00b
n00b

Post by Pathoslogical » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:36 am

Bocce ball is so much better than lawn bowling.

Or, at least, I think so. Throwing > rolling.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 am

The Blizzard is coming....

hahahahaha

jtw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jtw » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am

Velcropop wrote:(I stand in positive awe of the attendance figures for Michigan Stadium, the atmosphere must be wonderful).
Yep, it is pretty awesome. Especially after a few morning beers.

It's not so much the amount of playing time of an American football game, it's the intensity. Soccer players and [American] football players are equally fit, just that each are highly specialized for their game.

Here's a summary of each sport's players.
American Football: dumb meatheads
Football/Soccer: effeminate wimps
Rugby: certifiable and drunks.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Nygmen--my point was that I didn't think he was being disrespectful to anyone. You read it that way, but I didn't.

I think that the biggest reason that rugby can get along without padding is that rugby doesn't have the vast discrepancy in the size of players that is typical in American football. Even if I were a very fit, very well-trained 200 pound offensive back, I wouldn't want to go up against a 350-pound defensive lineman without armor.

Also, there is no blocking in rugby, so there is nothing like the full-on hits that you see in Am f-b. Tackling is focused on getting the ball carrier to the ground, and to dislodge the ball if possible (although how this may be done varies between league and union). Many rugby players now wear an optional close-fitting head pad.

Did y'all know that in about 1928 the US president threatened to send a bill to congress outlawing college football because it had become too dangerous? The governing body of college f-b passed some new rules, and in the following season there were only 30 football deaths nationally, so the president and congress apparently were satisfied that the game had been made safe.

Also, re Velcro's comment about conditioning. In Rugby most of the players go virtually non-stop for 2 40-minute halves (more if there's overtime), Unlike in Am f-b where the defensive squad gets to sit out while the offense is on the field. There are very few substitutions (and only a few reserves available for substitution). Play goes full-on until there is a penalty or a score.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Jebus wrote:Lawn bowling is awsome.
There's non-stop action for you! From what I've seen, no one under the age of 70 is allowed to play.

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
There's non-stop action for you! From what I've seen, no one under the age of 70 is allowed to play.
I knew it was the sport of kings when my wife and I, while touring around regional New South Wales, stopped into the Cowra Lawn Bowling club for dinner and walked into the beginnings of a large party for one of their younger members.

He had just been selected for the Australian Commonwealth Games Lawn Bowling team. Their manner of celebration? All the locals had bought him a schooner of beer, and i have no doubt he got through them all, then went for a roll.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:48 am

Oh wait, I'm sorry, I got confused with Bocce ball. Thats what I played.

Pathoslogical, thats for bringing my memory back.

Anyone else here hook grip everything they can, like groceries?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:28 am

robt-aus wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
I knew it was the sport of kings when my wife and I, while touring around regional New South Wales, stopped into the Cowra Lawn Bowling club for dinner and walked into the beginnings of a large party for one of their younger members.

He had just been selected for the Australian Commonwealth Games Lawn Bowling team. Their manner of celebration? All the locals had bought him a schooner of beer, and i have no doubt he got through them all, then went for a roll.
I actually saw some of the lawn bowling at the Commonwealth Games on TV. That's how I know about the non-stop action.

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:48 am

Curling looks awesome, drink a bunch of beer and throw stones down the ice, and try not to fall on you arse. Well the beer part would be fun.

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:11 pm

I. am. so. bored. I've been seriousely apathic all day.

I wanna buy a lot and build a house. And win the lottery. Not in that order though.

And WHEN THE HECK is Sons of Anarchy coming back on?!?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Curling looks fun to me, and I don't even drink. When I first met my wife, I wanted to curl in order to impress my Canadian in-laws. I never got around to it, and the in-laws accepted my just fine. Instead of "curlz for the girls", that would have been "curl for the girl."

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:55 pm

somehow i think curling would be a great courting activity as it allows people to prove they have the ability and willingess to sweep things, giving an impression of an ability to clean.

(says the guy who mopped the k-word floor between coffee and toast this morning, but anyway...)