Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:14 am

I've not deadlifted at all this year, and i've not done anything more than light goblet squats. It's really starting to get me down. Need to constantly remind myself to take my own advice and not be an idiot.

I'm making progress to getting back to it, so shouldn't complain... Doing Step ups, reverse lunges, both sides. Bizarely, I can use more weigt on step ups and reverse lunges than I can on squats before I get pain. I love it when you think you're starting to get a good understanding of the body then something comes along to make you realise you know very little.

Single leg DL's kill the left hamstring so I do it on the bad side with a restricted ROM and no load but, I load up the good side. Also can now go weighted glute bridges - it's good to have some glute pain again.

On the plus, I should be able to get my pain free side really strong and stable right now. I've had "issues" with my left side (injured side) being stronger for a while now. This is a perfect chance to sort this out. I'm also going to make weighted glute bridges my main hip movement now or as I call them "bringing sexy back". Load up gradually. I'm very happy I can actually load my hips now. So actually very little has changed in my training from this week onwards as squat variations are replaced with reverse lunges or step ups, and DL variations replaced with "Bringing Sexy Back"... Any other leg stuff I can't do as assitance just gets replaced with "core" stuff. I'm going to get every aspect of my "core" strong and stable as possible (may aswell since I can't do much else)

So I actually have a plan now. When I discovered I could load up on one leg (even the bad side) I went too far like an idiot and got back to square one. It was one of those moments where I was like, "wow I can add some weight here"...30 mins passes and i'm down to sets of 5 and as much weight as possible.... Felt great until the next morning and weeks following...

Then, like an idiot, trained my upper body 5x/week doing whatever I felt like (outside of my 2 normal upper body days). This was a great idea because, if you already have hip and knee pain, then obviously you need elbow pain, too.

That is all. Thanks for listening. I don't really feel better now but i've reassured myself that i'm on course.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:38 am

I feel your pain, I can't do any pressing just now thanks to my stupid elbow. Going to take at least another week off after this one, buy a sleeve and take it slow. Pain in the arse!

On the plus side, not pressing means I can hammer my back, biceps, legs and abs. I've been hitting my back with an obscene amount of volume, like a proper bodybuilder style back routine with like 4 exercises for back and 3 for bi's. Been trying out some crazy new exercises too a la Christian thibaudeau. That guy's got some pretty cool tricks up his sleeve. Seen some wicked growth in my arms and lats which I'm very happy about seeing as they are by far my weakest bodypart.

Doing LOADS of core stuff as well now courtesy of that new Mike Robertson article on T-Nation, gotta get da hawt abz after all!

My point is basically that there's always something you can do in the gym, and as much as I hate being injured, it's kinda worked out for the best so far.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:47 am

Yeh - I always tell people that injury is simply a chance to focus on other things. Especially all of those "things" that you just never normally get around to.

I just take wee tantrums with myself. I actually wanted to do lots of direct arm work but in some kind of structured way that actually got me stronger at my chosen arm exercises. It just bores the hell out of me though. I think in my case it would benefit my pressing and rowing aswell but, it just bores me.

There's actually lots of benefit to my situation right now. I feel on pressing I get loads of leg drive but I can't get that now so I've got to force my upper body to work harder now.

I just like to vent lol....

-Puffs out chest- Ok i've manned up now.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:37 am

So, I'm in Singapore. Random enough?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:43 am

Jungledoc wrote:So, I'm in Singapore. Random enough?
What are you doing there?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:45 am

KPj wrote:...This was a great idea because, if you already have hip and knee pain, then obviously you need elbow pain, too.
QFT (this means "Quoted For Truth". I learned that the other day.)

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:28 am

Haha, i'm glad you put the meaning because I didn't know about that either...

One of my clients brought me in this Indian smoothy. I'm not really into smoothies but he kept going on about it. I thought he was just a little strange. All i can say is that it's basically Heaven-in-a-bottle. Was some kind of mixed fruit flavour made with yoghurt. I've requested a box of them. He got them from one of my old clients who had to change gyms (one from "calling all bodybuilders" thread). There's deffinitly a lot of added sugar but i'm going to enjoy them PW. It's made me think about making my own. I'm pretty sure that Heaven-In-A-Bottle wouldn't change too much if a scoop or 3 of whey was added to it.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:49 am

When I'm in Toronto there's a small Medetreranian restaurant that I usually go to for Shwarma. They had this fermented milk product that was delicious. I don't remember what it was called but I can't find it around here. I imagine that's what's in your smoothie.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:37 am

If it's Indian it might be a thing called Lassi, there's a restaurant near me that does them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassi

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 am

robertscott wrote:If it's Indian it might be a thing called Lassi, there's a restaurant near me that does them

THAT'S IT!!!! The name deffinitly had Lassi in it!

EDIT: After looking at the Wiki article, it was either called, or the flavour was called "Mango Lassi"

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:23 pm

I would kill for a mint Lassi.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:45 pm

stuward wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:So, I'm in Singapore. Random enough?
What are you doing there?
Passing through, although I love Singapore, and would love to be spending some time.

Now I'm in Chaing Mai. Medical conference starts Monday. Til then I'm playing.

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:45 am

I'm snowed in. They cancelled all inner city buses. This is some crazy snow coming down.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 am

KPj wrote:
robertscott wrote:If it's Indian it might be a thing called Lassi, there's a restaurant near me that does them

THAT'S IT!!!! The name deffinitly had Lassi in it!

EDIT: After looking at the Wiki article, it was either called, or the flavour was called "Mango Lassi"
you stick with me mate, I'll keep you right

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 am

Jebus wrote:I would kill for a mint Lassi.
I dunno man, looking at the wiki I think you'd be more up for the Bhang Lassi