Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:42 pm

I once saw a flock of bluebirds playing with a feather, one would grab it its beak fly around awhile while the others chased it, then it would drop it and another bird would grab it before it hit the ground. This went on for a long time, I had never seen birds playing before and haven't seen it since. It was pretty cool.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:10 am

KPj wrote:I think me and a couple of training partners may have been made to stop eating at a Buffet lastnight. Our overall goal is to get asked to leave. We weren't asked to leave but I think we were close, but we still can't claim that this has happened yet.

Basically, I was going up for my 5th plate and a waiter came up and asked if my friends were wanting more. I said "probably" and he said, "We are closing the buffet now". He was very "frosty" with us.

It was about half 8. It's open till 11pm. There were still people in the restaurant, although not many. When I was up getting my 4th, one of the dishes was empty and a waitress came and asked me if I wanted them to make more. I said yes. Actually after the 4th I was done but I felt obliged to go for a 5th because they put more on for me! Then I get the waiter coming up, not being very friendly, basically telling me we're done.

It was a proud moment anyway. The protein:cost ratio was amazing. I love buffets.

KPj
My friends and I used to have a buffet busting crew called AYCE. Smallest guy was 6' 4"/275. Weekly we would go to different ones in our area. All you can eat ribs one night, crab legs & prime rib the next week, sushi, then those mongolian bbq ones where they bring the meat over on the sword. We were asked to leave the rib place twice and the sushi place got to a point where they would only serve us one roll at a time.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:14 am

remind me of that Simpsons episode where they sue the all you can eat place for kicking Homer out and the lawyer says it's the worst case of false advertising since The Neverending Story

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:16 am

LOL. It's amazing. We were thinking of making a blog for our "Sunday Club" and detailing all the activities, comments, etc. This kind of talk is normally on the way to the restaurants then, after that, we're too full to speak so we never get around to it.

We went to my local breakfast place again on the Sunday morning - before we trained which was before the Buffet. Again we were quite tame but the staff really flatter you. We asked for a few extra eggs. no big deal, but the staff made a big deal out of it. Telling people that came in how much food we ordered and just making various comments. When we were finished we felt fine, not bloated or anything.

So, we've decided that this Sunday, we're going to have the Sunday Meal at breakfast time, and we're going to order 2 breakfasts each. This is really just for an ego boost - it's not a great "feat", really. There's another place about 10 miles away where you just pick items, so 2 breakfasts in the local place is equivelent to what we would order at the other place anyway.... I just think it will be priceless to have 3 of us sitting there with 2 plates infront of us. We were going to bring our own eggs just for a joke.

KPj

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:02 pm

I am amazed with the knowledge of people on this site now. There were always good people here, but now - jeez louise. I now officially feel stupid about lifting, physiology, diet, etc. TimD is probably laughing and saying, "Son, you were always stupid, just none of us had the heart to tell you."

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Ya this site is getting more members every week it seems. I don't know though I kinda like it being a small knit community.

TravisF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TravisF » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:11 am

Jebus wrote:Ya this site is getting more members every week it seems. I don't know though I kinda like it being a small knit community.
I hear ya! I've reading this board for a couple of years off and on. It seems like everyone here are truly friends; despite some of the differences I may have seen along the way.

Maybe; Take consellation that strength is in numbers! The more members that are here means more people are getting truly concerned with their heath.

This site is with out a doubt in my mind, the best resource for honest health tips. It's weighted heavily to the strength department, but, regardless, health is health... right?

Sorry to be a new face posting that by the way........

Travis

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:31 am

I guess I just have a fear of it turning into something like BB.com. But then I realize that will never happen lol.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:19 am

"I guess I just have a fear of it turning into something like BB.com. But then I realize that will never happen lol." - Jebus

That's always a possability, but then if people want BB.com, they can just go to BB.com. I think people come here because they're looking for something a little different and like what the forum has to offer.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:12 am

I was in getting my haircut last week and the strangest turn of events happened...

I went straight from working at the gym so still have Personal Trainer T-shirt on. The girl cutting my hair started asking the usual questions, "how do i get rid of these?", as she pointed to her sides. I said, "squats". This led to the usual conversations, dispelling spot reduction etc. Next thing I knew I had the guy that owned it and 2 girls that work there doing squats! It was amazing. I had one girl doing broad jumps across the shop floor and back then into bodyweight squats. I wish I could of video'd it. I really need to sort out my video situation. I'm actually looking forward to my next haircut lol.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:00 am

that is weird, it's kind of like a bus journey I had once. I was going back up to the highlands to see my physio, and got chatting to this old dude sitting next to me on the bus. Turned out he was a physio too, so I basically got a free 3 hour consultation. At one point we were talking about exercises I should be doing and he said "now lie down," and I was like, "Um, here?" But he insisted so I was lying in the aisle between the seats on a crowded bus doing stretches and core exercises he was showing me. I must've looked like such a tool but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to learn.

DavidMcF
Novice
Novice

Post by DavidMcF » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:29 am

Jebus wrote:Ya this site is getting more members every week it seems. I don't know though I kinda like it being a small knit community.
I wouldn't worry about it too much - usually the rubbish members that no one wants are pushed out of the community and never come back. Especially with a community as tight knit as this - the idiots will feel so excluded they wont return.

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:41 am

Weight lifting confession-

I wear gloves, my little daughter bought them for me for a birthday present and I feel obligated.

If you mock me for this, I will hit you with my purse.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:48 am

My "arm day".

BB Curls - 5 x 10

Skull Crushers - 5 x 10.

Increasing volume each week 'till whenever I can't increase it any more. At that point i'll make some kind of change. Volume being defined as weight x reps.

I tried to do an arm day a while ago but I got fed up. I'm doing this as an extra workout on a Sunday. I made the last one's all thought out and complicated but this time decided to be more Jim Wendler-ish in my approach and keep it basic and simple.

Just done week 2. From last week, curls improved by 105KG (sum of sets x reps, remember!). Skull Crushers improved by 150KG of volume. My wrists hurt from the BB curls on week 1 but felt much better yesterday. I'm trying to keep form as strict as possible, especially on the first 4 sets. Rest = not long enough. I don't know how long. Week 1 there was 2 of us and we just took turns. Yesterday there were 3 and we done the same.

I also done Push press before the arm work, because I felt like it, and have been finishing with that De Franco shoulder circuit that was on t-nation recently. It kills you with very light weights I would highly recommend it.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Kinda nice how no matter how busy my gym gets, there's rarely a wait for the 120 lb dumbbells.