Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Random crap

Post by robertscott » Wed May 04, 2011 2:08 pm

KPj wrote: I actually train my g/f but, I trained her before we were together...

KPj
so what you're saying is you groomed her like some sort of sleazy high school janitor?

Obviously I'm joking. Do you still charge her for sessions?

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu May 05, 2011 4:33 am

robertscott wrote:
KPj wrote: I actually train my g/f but, I trained her before we were together...

KPj
so what you're saying is you groomed her like some sort of sleazy high school janitor?

Lol, damn right - would be funny too,
"ok, a really important part of strength training is glute control"
"fv(k off Kenny"
"lol"

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu May 05, 2011 5:14 am

robertscott wrote: so what you're saying is you groomed her like some sort of sleazy high school janitor?

haha! I never really trained her regularly, so I guess it's kind of different if I try and self rationalise. I done her 3 free sessions she gets when she joined the gym, back in August, wrote her a program, and sent her on her way. She's quite fit anyway, teaches Ballet and some other forms of dance. I would just see her every 4-6 weeks for a training session plus a program to go and follow. When we started seeing each other she insisted on still paying.

However I convinced her to go on a "real" strength training program as an experiment and she didn't have to pay. Started last week. I enjoy training her, though, so I do it in and around my own sessions.

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu May 05, 2011 5:29 am

RobertB wrote: "fv(k off Kenny"

I actually get this a lot!!! I take it as a good thing!

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu May 05, 2011 10:20 am

KPj wrote:
robertscott wrote:
However I convinced her to go on a "real" strength training program as an experiment

KPj
well you've obviously found the one girl in the world who isn't too scared to do a strength training program because she thinks she'll get "too bulky". She's a keeper, you should marry her

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

30 bananas a day

Post by mark74 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:22 pm

Whoa, looks like someone got one of those before/after pic sets Mehdi loves so much and swapped them.

Via Martin Berkhan.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Sat May 07, 2011 4:35 am

I saw a rainbow high in the sky and it hasn't rained for weeks.
It made my day.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Sat May 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Bought a new grill and going to fix some Pork and Chicken tonight.. Grilling is always better on Charcoal.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon May 09, 2011 11:20 am

I'm not into sympathy posts or anything but, this is somewhat inspirational...

My mum (62) ran a 10K on Sunday, raising some money for Cancer Research......

....Whilst dying of cancer.....

Now THAT'S commitment, determination, and a great big F**** YOU to the great big C.

What was your excuse the last time you missed the gym or didn't hit your goals?

Mine was, "too busy". Actually I didn't plan my day/week properly. I thought there was nothing I could do about it but, I knew it was tight, and I knew there was a chance one of my clients would of booked in last minute. I could of trained BEFORE work had I planned properly. So, "too busy", was just an excuse. Makes you think....

As for goals, pretty much goes the same. Too busy. Sums up the last year (at least) for my own training. I've been averaging 70-80 hours of work per week since then.... Too busy.... No. Poor planning. And, as a great example of not taking my own advice, poor goal setting. Are your goals realistic? Mine, in hindsight, weren't. The lesson here is to plan better and to make goals in accordance to what training you can fit into the plan. Decide if it's realistic. If you're on the really busy end of the scale, then make the goals almost "too" easy. The worse that can happen is, you hit them early which isn't really a bad problem to have if you ask me.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon May 09, 2011 11:38 am

KPj wrote: What was your excuse the last time you missed the gym or didn't hit your goals?
Shugart wrote something about this a while ago, all about how if you're aware of negative psychology, you're less likely to have it. For example if you're familiar with the concept of rationalising, then you're less likely to use it to fool yourself into thinking you were "too busy" of whatever. It's so true, ever since I studied cognitive dissonance at uni I've had to face facts about aspects of my character I used to try and skirt round.

My excuse for not going to the gym just now is I have exams. It sucks, I've been spending whole days in front of my computer and it's driving me a bit mental i think.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue May 10, 2011 12:33 am

KPj--Sunday was Mother's day here in the US, so congratulations and happy mother's day to your mom!

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue May 10, 2011 7:48 am

Jungledoc wrote:KPj--Sunday was Mother's day here in the US, so congratulations and happy mother's day to your mom!
Thanks!
robertscott wrote:Shugart wrote something about this a while ago, all about how if you're aware of negative psychology, you're less likely to have it. For example if you're familiar with the concept of rationalising, then you're less likely to use it to fool yourself into thinking you were "too busy" of whatever. It's so true, ever since I studied cognitive dissonance at uni I've had to face facts about aspects of my character I used to try and skirt round.

My excuse for not going to the gym just now is I have exams. It sucks, I've been spending whole days in front of my computer and it's driving me a bit mental i think.
It's interesting. Normally i'm quite good. I'm good with clients when it comes to planning and achieving realistic goals in accordance with their lifestyle i.e. fit fitness to your lifestyle, not the other way around. Then, all of a sudden, I find that the past year or so, my progress has been terrible, not achieved most goals i've set, got a nice new injury created out of stupidity to deal with, etc. I'm always quite positive. I knew my work hours were going up big time, I knew a lot was happening in other aspects of my life. Something has to give. I had goals set in accordance with working about 50 hours per week and no other real responsibilities. All of a sudden i'm up at 70-80 hours per week, various courses to do, other things outside of work and training to worry about, and I still told myself it could be done. Silly, really. On top of that, I took the, "deal with sh*t as it hits you" approach. Planning was terrible. I could of achieved much more in every aspect even outside of training if I just planned better, and more realistically. It's amazing how you can blatantly miss the obvious.

It's all a learning curve, though. It dawned on me when I started realising I had been making excuses. There is no excuse. Sometimes you don't realise you're making excuses, but you are. It's not till you look back and realise how much you've been spinning your wheels..... Then I got this client, a busy high flying exec/business owner. Fitting fitness into his lifestyle was/is a challenge. On top of that he has 2 troubled kids to deal with and a very elderly mother he looks after. After breaking everything down, I realised that, although different, the time he could commit to training and the difficulties he faced with planning were very similar to mine, yet, I wasn't doing any of the things I'm telling him to do. It's been a big "aha" moment and, hopefully, a good well needed kick in the a$$.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue May 10, 2011 8:05 am

KPj wrote:I'm good with clients when it comes to planning and achieving realistic goals in accordance with their lifestyle i.e. fit fitness to your lifestyle, not the other way around.
But doesn't it have to be both for most of us? Often it's "lifestyle" that is the root of our lack of fitness. Sometimes we can't make progress until we eliminate or change the things in our life that keep us from training, or from being more active day-to-day.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue May 10, 2011 9:34 am

Jungledoc wrote:
KPj wrote:I'm good with clients when it comes to planning and achieving realistic goals in accordance with their lifestyle i.e. fit fitness to your lifestyle, not the other way around.
But doesn't it have to be both for most of us? Often it's "lifestyle" that is the root of our lack of fitness. Sometimes we can't make progress until we eliminate or change the things in our life that keep us from training, or from being more active day-to-day.
Yes, definitely. What I probably should of referred to was "schedule" more than "lifestyle". Using myself as an example, I was making goals based on a minimum of 6 hours per week training plsu whatever time I needed to prepare food (eating "on the go" just isn't working and is very expensive). However, I wasn't making 6 hours per week available to train and wasn't accounting ANYtime for the diet side of it. In reality I probably needed about 8 hours per week for training and food prep. I leave the house at 8am every morning, and don't get home until 10:30-11pm. Sat I leave between 8-9 and don't get home until about 6:30 (sat's are a little more free, though, not always like this). I try and keep a Sunday free. I would of been better allocating 4 hours per week to training, and 2 hours per week for food preparation. Outside of those hours I also need to write and update programs but, I try and "batch" this into my Sundays. If planning was better, I probably could of achieved it all. I could of changed my "lifestyle" by getting out of bed 1 hour 30 mins earlier, and getting a session in before work. This would leave a few nights where I could get home earlier and be more likely to prep food or whatever. I just didn't plan around my schedule. Didn't even factor in my schedule, to be honest. Just figured I would magically make it happen.

In hindsight it was do able if changed my morning routine. However, cCurrently, the morning is a time I spend time with family, so I don't want to give it up. Therefore, I don't want to move my own training in place of "family time". The only realistic option, really, is to cut the amount of time I can allocate to exercise and diet and more importantly, tailor my goals to fit.

That being said, a lot of people watch far too much TV and never seem to leave the house out with getting to work and running errands. In that case - sort the lifestyle. Get active. You have plenty of time to train, plenty of time to cook, etc. Just stop watching 4 hours TV per night! In the last 4-6 weeks, i've watched 2 films. Not saying everyone should be like that but, I have no idea what's happening in any soap, never mind all the major ones. 2 main soaps over here take up 3-4 hours of your time per week. Even better they're almost always on "back to back". It's amazing how many people who "don't have time" to exercise, follow them. 3-4 hours? Perfect amount of time to be in the gym! Three 45 minute sessions is probably perfect to start with. The of course you have the people who commit the time but binge drink at the weekend and basically, have a weekly cycle starting with "a good start to a new lifestyle" and ending with "total mayhem, back to square one"....

Anyway, that became a rant, lol, but, yes, lifestyle does need to be changed to at least some extent with pretty much everyone.

KPj

carlito
Novice
Novice

Post by carlito » Tue May 10, 2011 5:41 pm

Damn you have bad work hours lol, 8 till 11?!! Most I've had is 630 till 5-6, and I hated it lol. I can imagine it's very hard to find workout time on that schedule, I mean personally I need to have energy/ be in the mood to work out, the morning and after work just aren't times where I have any interest in working out, I can barely navigate myself out the front door let alone a workout.