Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Jungledoc

Re: Random crap

Post by Jungledoc » Mon May 23, 2011 4:03 pm

There is a lot in the Bible about the end of the world, and about the second coming of Christ. Most of it is unclear and confusing, and has been the subject of divisive debate among Christians. The clearest statements in the Bible are those that explicitly state that no one will know when it will happen. Matthew 24: 36 says, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Luke 12:40 says, "You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." So basically, anyone who claims to be able to predict the second coming is contradicting scripture right off the bat. You'll notice that most people, including most Christians ignored the claims about May 21. If I thought it was the day for the second coming, I'd just do what I do anyway--otherwise, I'd think I wasn't living right on all the other days.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Wed May 25, 2011 5:58 am

What's your denomination Doc?

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Wed May 25, 2011 6:56 am

Jungledoc wrote:There is a lot in the Bible about the end of the world, and about the second coming of Christ. Most of it is unclear and confusing, and has been the subject of divisive debate among Christians. The clearest statements in the Bible are those that explicitly state that no one will know when it will happen. Matthew 24: 36 says, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Luke 12:40 says, "You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."
** mild rant **

What pains me the most is when the Bible is represented as containing secret mysterious coded messages -- as if it were some book of ancient magic. In fact the Bible contains what would be called in secular terms history, biography, theology, and social theory -- and it is quite easy to understand if you read it as a story aimed at regular people.

The obsession of a small few on end-of-the-world stuff makes great press, so that's what we hear about on TV, internet, etc. Or we hear about some "pastor" with all of 10 people in his Church who wants to burn the Q'uran in public. Or the guy who has taken the entire 2 sentences on homosexuality (out of 3000 pages) and made a religion of hate of out of those 2 sentences.

What we do not hear about are guys like Jungledoc who give up their practices and go to the poorest of the poor. Jesus never said every Christian has to do that, but some are so called, and the rest of us stay home in the US and send money to support them. All of the "commandments" in the Bible come down to doing things like that. Even the complete version of the commandment "keep holy the sabbath" requires you not make anybody else work on the sabbath, which is the part most modern Christians ignore and the part that actually makes the whole thing work.

So as Jungledoc says, we don't worry if the world is going to blow up tomorrow or in 14 billion years, the content of the Bible is all about what we are supposed to be doing for others today.

Ok, end of mild rant. Just venting a bit.

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Wed May 25, 2011 7:25 am

KenDowns wrote: ...

** mild rant **

Ok, end of mild rant. Just venting a bit.
Good Rant! .. 100% agree with ya

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 am

injuries suck. I've hurt my back and now all I can do is bench and chins. Can't do squats, deadlifts, rows or any overhead stuff. Not only that but once the pain is gone I have to start working back up to heavy squats/deads again. I hate the recovery process as much as the injury.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Wed May 25, 2011 1:49 pm

This is the 6667th post in the exrx lounge.
I posted this, just to banish the devil's number (you know, we're talking about the end of the world).

By the way I think there are a few possible 'ends of this world' (more like: the end of humanity):
1) Man just destroys everything in a global nuclear war (except for australia)
2) Global pandemic
3) Huge disaster (11+ earthquake, meteor,...)
4) World doesn't end, humans leave the earth for another world
5) Bees or another essential animal/micro-organism/... gets extinct.
6) I got more possibilities, but I forgot them.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Wed May 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Also: I saw a rainbow IN a cloud, somewhat like this.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Wed May 25, 2011 8:31 pm

You forgot the zombie apocalypse end. The most likely one, especially with the CDC saying everyone should have a zombie apocalypse plan :grin:

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed May 25, 2011 8:35 pm

http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed May 25, 2011 10:59 pm

Great article! I'll bet that there are thousands who have read it who never would have if it hadn't been about zombies.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed May 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Take a look at Jason's blog. Besides pondering a 439 power clean, and the idea of DLing 635 for reps, you have to see the video that he posted.

http://www.nunnsperformancetraining.com ... qus_thread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu May 26, 2011 3:21 am

Haha - I am always concious of any exercise that looks like I'm trying to up/train my "A game" :)

I couldn't watch the vid in Kennys post so I clicked the main link from it and assume its the reverse crunch thrust thing

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri May 27, 2011 1:19 am

OK. So I'm a grandpa.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri May 27, 2011 3:57 am

Jungledoc wrote:OK. So I'm a grandpa.
:cheers:

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Fri May 27, 2011 5:29 am

Jungledoc wrote:Take a look at Jason's blog. Besides pondering a 439 power clean, and the idea of DLing 635 for reps, you have to see the video that he posted.

http://www.nunnsperformancetraining.com ... qus_thread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Doc! I found that video hilarious and had to post it.