Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Random crap

Post by mark74 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Found this gem:
Have you guys been able to "ignore" such pain? I'm not talking the bumps and bruises we all get during training, I'm talking the kind of stuff that makes you go "fv(k, that hurts". I'm just trying to figure out if I'm being a pussy or something.
Some people just have higher pain tolerance. Some people have higher pain tolerance for certain types of pain. I think I have what I call volitional pain tolerance: I can handle perfectly fine almost any pain I can inflict on myself through training, or pain from injury that I decide to train through. A bad headache (read: migraine) will almost always incapacitate me - unless I decide I must train.

I have trained with two ruptred discs in my back. I have bench pressed three weeks after fracturing my sternum and damaging my S-C joint. I raced a sprint tournament the day after separating my shoulder. I've pushed myself so hard on a bicycle that I've lost bladder control. I may also well be a genetic freak - and that may be my gift that allowed me to excel: that I can hurt myself worse than the guys I raced against. However, this was certainly something I built up to over several years of training.

I'm not listing this to brag. You have to understand that once you get to a certain level of athletic ability, these things start weeding out the weaker competition. I think that once you get a routine going, and start making progress over a long period of time - years, not months - you become so invested in the result that you tolerate more and more in the process. But you have to put in the work to build up to that. If you allow yourself to shirk early because of a sore throat, what are you going to do if you have to squat with a badly sprained ankle later on? And so if you DO shirk on your workouts on the easy stuff, you're most definitely going to can the workout if you bust a finger or catch a heavy clean wrong and hurt your wrist and elbow. And your competition who either has the genetic gift that allows him not to miss that rack, or demands that he keep training even if he does, is going to surpass you.
I have a newfound respect for you Steve. Either that or you're just batshit insane. Which one is it, Rip?
He's both. That's why you should pay attention, even when he raves like an idiot.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Now I hate tennis elbow even more.
I think it was feeling the same whenther I was doing pulls and rows as it has with 3 freakin weeks off.

So woh is this guy? A well know Steve?

bam

Post by bam » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 pm

I think we should pitch in and buy Steve a wheelchair. :eek:

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-IVOjLXsNc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:37 am

Also be sure to look at her bench and DL videos. Every lift she made in this meet set a record. Of course, the peak was the squat world record--not just for her age group, but for any woman in that weight class!

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:09 am

Are you aloud a mixed grip in raw competition pulls? I noticed she was double overhand.
Did my own reasearch, and it appears no mixed in competition/

Also, at 4' 9", it's not that far to move the weight.

:tongue:

(yes, I actually spelled it "aloud' by accident. And I'm not going to edit it. I am a bad speller. I was considering the spelling, thinking "is it one word or two, "a loud" or "aloud" ..oh man, I have no pride)

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:50 am

That girl is just... beast! I love it.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:14 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Are you aloud a mixed grip in raw competition pulls? I noticed she was double overhand.
Did my own reasearch, and it appears no mixed in competition/

Also, at 4' 9", it's not that far to move the weight.

:tongue:

(yes, I actually spelled it "aloud' by accident. And I'm not going to edit it. I am a bad speller. I was considering the spelling, thinking "is it one word or two, "a loud" or "aloud" ..oh man, I have no pride)
Yer allowed too meka mistaks.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:25 am

Jungledoc wrote:
Also be sure to look at her bench and DL videos. Every lift she made in this meet set a record. Of course, the peak was the squat world record--not just for her age group, but for any woman in that weight class!
Just saw them, it's strange though these videos give me some kind of uneasy, ambivalent feeling, like there's something wrong but I can't put my finger on it yet.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:10 am

So... I've been getting into this Thai boxing. My friend who has been teaching me to kick isn't all that experienced and, according to himself, isn't the best teacher. He got into this originally via his friend who has been competing in it for years. Very dedicated. He has enough "grades" to teach but doesn't, although he helps out at the club they train at. However, he's good and now struggles to get "matched" for a fight when the events come around. As a result, he wants to move up a weight class where there are more fighters and he's got more chance of more regular bouts.

Currently, he trains with an ex (competing) bodybuilder in a little gym about 10 miles from me. From what I know it's just all your usual higher rep body part split stuff. Not criticising, just saying. I don't know what progress if any he has made. I do know he's doing nothing for power, speed, and doesn't seem to take structural balance/injury prevention into account when training. For whatever reason, he wants me to train him. My friend (the "middle man" in this case) is largely the reason. I trained him before he was interested in Thai, to the tune of about 40lbs b/w increase in about 9 months, a 400lbs DL, 290lbs paused box squat (started with a knee injury, too), and a 220-ish bench. Can't remember his bench, it's his worse lift by a mile. At his heaviest (about 220) he got a weighted pull up with 45lbs added. Of course, then he started Thai, so he had to get ripped. He came right back down to his original weight, 40lbs lighter only, instead of the belly he previously had, he now had a full 6-pack. He's ripped even after a bloat. He lost more muscle than I think he needed to because he didn't lift as much as I think he should have but, whatever, it went well. His b/w is climbing again.

Regardless, he still has a 375lbs DL, 290 squat, don't ask about his bench, and has managed a pull up with 65lbs on the belt. In the gym - the "lifting" gym - He puts his friend to shame despite having much less experience in any form of training, even lifting. He's been complimented for his strength to the point where people at the club are asking him constantly what to do in the gym. When "clinching" apparently even seasoned fighers now need to rely on tiring him out because he's so strong in comparison (don't be fooled though there's A LOT of technique required to clinch, too).

So, it's a trade off. I train this guy, he trains me. I don't know whether i'm more excited about training him or him training me. I'm quite nervous, too. This is out of my comfort zone. I do remind myself that my training is aimed towards improving general performance anyway, even with 50 yearold female fatloss clients. This is probably all he needs at this point but I won't know 'till I see him. It's supposed to happen on Sat. I hope it doesn't phase out and be one of those great ideas that never actually happen.

Anyway, i'm excited. My colleagues don't get these things so I had to write about it somewhere.

That is all.

KPj

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 am

So, today's special is cinnamon rolls. You know those great big things you see as you pass by a Cinnabon... yep, we make em too, from scratch. Those are my biggest distraction and pull to sweets. It tests my resolve to get in shape every week. I have to make a lot of them too. Couple sheet pans full, which equates to about 2 dozen a sheet pan. Today, about right now, the entire bakery is filled with cinnamon smell.

Ohhhh, the temptations. Hehe

& gratz KPj, it's always a warm and cozy feeling when you are recognized and sought after for your area of expertise.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:23 am

Jlmoss - thanks. I'm nervous. My friend - the middle man - is really the only experience i've had with people like this. However he was a beginner at both lifting and fighting so, i'm cautious not to get too carried away. Hopefully I can do something similar. Providing this actually happens, and providing I do a good job, I may just become sought after locally. He's quite well known in the MMA community in general over here.

It is something i've read quite a lot about, just because it interests me. And i'm quite glad i've followed Peters Training Log (on this site) for quite some time, too. It'll be interesting anyway!

KPj

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 am

jlmoss wrote:So, today's special is cinnamon rolls. You know those great big things you see as you pass by a Cinnabon... yep, we make em too, from scratch. Those are my biggest distraction and pull to sweets. It tests my resolve to get in shape every week. I have to make a lot of them too. Couple sheet pans full, which equates to about 2 dozen a sheet pan. Today, about right now, the entire bakery is filled with cinnamon smell.
Thanks ... now, I'm hungry for cinnamon rolls

:eek:

bam

Post by bam » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:06 am

put down that cinnamon roll.
cinnamon rolls are for closers.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:59 am