Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Random crap

Post by RobertB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:38 am

Proper Knob wrote:So, i'm off with the girlfriend for an audition for a tv game show in the next few weeks. This is what happens when you leave your girlfriend home alone on weekends.
Lol - I got Jeremy Kyled like that :)

Was good though, even though the guys a prick (believe it or not)

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:50 am

I have a new pet hate in the gym. It's changed from people taking up the squat rack for things that you don't need a squat rack for (anywhere from curls, to up right rows, to just standing and ogling ones self).

It's now people walking into your trailing leg when doing reverse lunges and/or single leg dead lift variations. I don't get this very much myself, probably because I train quite late. However it's a constant problem with clients.

Grown adults just seem to leave common sense out in the car when they go to the gym. And apparently, their eyes. So many people can't be this stupid. The amount of members who have walked past a client doing single leg DL's, moving and therefore noticing the back leg, only to walk past again right into the path of the back leg. They actually physically notice it then completely ignore it 2 minutes later, with the cheek to scowl after being kicked by my client(s). This isn't even taking into considerations the amount of times a client needs to pause mid set to let someone walk past. It's not THAT crowded. This even happens when it's quiet. People seem to enter that zombie like trance that they get into when they're in a super market.

I've started trying to make light of it. I've created a points system and it's now 10 points every time you kick a member. I'm not even joking. So, when a member walks into our space and gets kicked by the rear leg of a single leg deadlift, i'll shout, "10 points! Well done!". Deep down, it still infuriates me. I was thinking of advertising it on a board or something with a prize for the client with the most points for kicking members by the end of the year. Purely to attract attention to the complete lack of awareness by ADULTS. These same adults have privileges such as - Owning a house, Driving a car, tying their own shoe laces, Chewing gum whilst walking, brushing their own teeth. Yet, they can't walk around a gym without getting kicked by someone standing stationary in an open space.

When the gym is busy and I have a client doing single leg deadlifts, I go from coach to traffic warden directing traffic. An example was last night when training a female client. She was doing single leg deadlifts. I was trying to stand in her "space" so no one else could get close enough to get kicked. Like the sharp eyed coach I am, I spot 40 something female coming straight towards the trailing leg. I put my hand out and say something like, "watch yourself, powerful leg coming your way". She stopped, noted the hazard, walked around it, giggling at my comment. Then, about 30 seconds later when my client is mid set on the other leg, walks back towards us (my back facing her now so I don't see her), straight into the trailing leg of my client. 10 points!! Liz, my client from last night, is easily winning this competition. More points than any other client.

Can't make this stuff up.

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:58 am

I thing some of that is subconcious sabatoging of people who actually work out in the gym. Most people go to the gym to put in their time, since everyone knows, it's the time spent on exercising that counts, right? Anytime someone is actually doing something effective, it makes their workout seem silly, even if they aren't really concious of it.

i remember one time I was running the rack with dumbbell snatches. There was another guy in the section doing curls. He jokingly asked me to stop since I was making everyone else look lazy.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:50 am

I think you're probably right.

It happens with DB bench press, too. People stand, walk, or set up their own bench within inches of your "space". When I first teach the exercises to someone, I teach them how to bail out if they fail mid rep. I always tell them something a long the lines of,

"if the DB's are going to fall to the side, let it drop. It's not worth tearing a shoulder in an effort to save them. If any other member is stupid enough to be standing that close to you and get a crushed foot, then frankly it'll be a painful but valuable lesson for them."

I've had some nice scowls when giving that speech.

I remember years ago, when I was just a member with no interest in being a trainer, I was deadlifting. I think my max was around 180KG at that time. There or there abouts. I would of been working up to doubles or triples, most likely. I'm standing at the bar and I just notice this foot plant itself about 3 inches from the plates on one side of the bar. I look around and some guy has set his bench up, to do flies or something that an over weight man really doesn't need to waste his time no. There was no need to be anywhere near this close. At this time I was one of the only people to DL in my gym. I was really angry at the guy and tried to let him know this with a look that said, "are you f******* kidding me??????". I ended up just lifting anyway. I was so mad that I thought 180-ish KG landing on his toe would be a worthy punishment for his stupidity. In hindsight it was potentially a tad harsh. I knew the bar didn't move around much anyway in terms of start to finish position so it wasn't that likely. I also made sure to basically completely drop the bar from the top position, just to emphasise that, you know, the weight was kinda heavy, and his toes were kinda close. It may be sensible idea to move your bench back. Just a thought, you know.

He actually went and complained about me. I knew the staff a little so they were ok with me. They came and asked me not to dead lift so close to other members and try and not drop the bar. I just told them I was dropping the bar to pi$$ the guy off and he actually moved this close to me. I pitched that maybe there should be some kind of vetting process to allow only certain people into the area of the gym that has heavy moveable objects in it. The rest can stick to Body Pump class and hamster wheels. They just laughed.

Actually thinking back that complaint struck up a friendship which lead to some more which probably lead to me working there. Interesting lol.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:53 am

Post video?

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:52 am

I have no problem telling folk to get away from me, I do it all the time in the gym. People stand far too close to me when I'm doing Olympic stuff. I warn them that if I need to bail out of the lift there's no telling where it's going to land. I ALWAYS do my lifts on the platform so there's no excuse to be crowding round.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:20 am

robertscott wrote:I have no problem telling folk to get away from me, I do it all the time in the gym. People stand far too close to me when I'm doing Olympic stuff. I warn them that if I need to bail out of the lift there's no telling where it's going to land. I ALWAYS do my lifts on the platform so there's no excuse to be crowding round.
I have told people. It's just infuriating. Like the deadlifting example. I just imagine what goes through the guys head,

"sooo... I need to do some flies... But..... Where could I set up my bench??? hmmm..... There's a big empty space there, there, and there, oh and look, there's some guy lifting up what looks like a rather heavy barbell. Bingo. There's the spot. I'll set up my bench there. Not only that but I'll make sure my feet are pointing towards him and sitting painfully close to one side of the bar. Perfect."

I dread to think what they're like on the road - "Oh, there's a street where all the traffic appears to travelling in the opposite direction from me with no lanes moving in the direction i want to go. I could go down another road with traffic flowing the correct way but, in my mind, driving head on into one way traffic is the best bet".

I think i'll set up a blog, just to rant. I always feel better after furiously typing about little things that really grind my gears ! (10 points for family guy reference??)

Olympic lifts are even worse. I don't do many beyond power cleans and 1-arm snatches but, especially doing the snatches, i've had guys stand right behind me. I've had a lot of dirty looks, and when I get a little shaky with the catch they seem to grasp that there is a slight chance i'm not going to make it and said DB may come catapulting towards them lol. Somewhere in my sometimes sick mind I want this to happen. It'll only take one catastrophe. Then you'll hear about that guy who was doing power-jerk-side-press-DB-curls whilst standing behind that other guy doing DB snatches only to receive said DB right in the forehead.

Of course, I wouldn't wish that on anyone but i'm aloud to fantasize. Some guys fantasize about Jessica Beil doing perfect RDL's. I fantasize about wiping out foolish members with DB's.

I think I need a deload. Or more carbs.

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:24 am

And while i'm at it....

Our free weights area is pretty much 100% mirrored. You can't escape them. Due to the convenience of where the weights are kept, basically anyone who DL's will do it close to a mirror which also keeps you out the way of people. However, then you get these guys who will either stand or set up a bench, normally doing curls of some kind, and they'll sit RIGHT behind you. You know, it's crucial that they see their biceps growing throughout the set - imagining them expanding and filling up the room (20 points for arnie reference? I think from pumping iron? ).

You essentially end up with your a$$ about half a foot from another mans face. Now, i'm open minded. I'm not really "against" many things. I never did play rugby, either, so i'm never 100% comfortable when my glutes are within flexing distance of another mans face.

I think i'm done. :angryfire:

KPj

carlito
Novice
Novice

Post by carlito » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 am

RobertB wrote:
Proper Knob wrote:So, i'm off with the girlfriend for an audition for a tv game show in the next few weeks. This is what happens when you leave your girlfriend home alone on weekends.

I'm in full belief that he's a prick. Just incase you haven't seen this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3QaqZFiVS8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm

KPj wrote:And while i'm at it....

Our free weights area is pretty much 100% mirrored. You can't escape them. Due to the convenience of where the weights are kept, basically anyone who DL's will do it close to a mirror which also keeps you out the way of people. However, then you get these guys who will either stand or set up a bench, normally doing curls of some kind, and they'll sit RIGHT behind you. You know, it's crucial that they see their biceps growing throughout the set - imagining them expanding and filling up the room (20 points for arnie reference? I think from pumping iron? ).

You essentially end up with your a$$ about half a foot from another mans face. Now, i'm open minded. I'm not really "against" many things. I never did play rugby, either, so i'm never 100% comfortable when my glutes are within flexing distance of another mans face.

KPj
If you set up right, I'll bet you could manage to "accidentally" launch some DBs into the mirrors while doing DB snatches!

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:42 am

carlito wrote:
RobertB wrote:

I'm in full belief that he's a prick. Just incase you haven't seen this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3QaqZFiVS8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yea haha I had seen that, such a good shot. I am suprized he hasn't been full on assaulted, but they have their boys club dont they, where they can throw 3k someones way and you get a visit from some toughs - wont stop throwing a rusty wrench at his head next time he's seen out though.

carlito
Novice
Novice

Post by carlito » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:02 am

lmao, It was a great shot, fully deserved aswell.

So you were actually on Jeremy Kyle? Did he piss you off too? lol

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:37 am

My gym shut it doors. I found a new one.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:05 am

carlito wrote:lmao, It was a great shot, fully deserved aswell.

So you were actually on Jeremy Kyle? Did he piss you off too? lol
Not "on" it :) in the audience, and yea he was cringeworthy, it was like going to the circus - unfortunately I didnt have sex till 19, so I was about 8 years late to get on stage - and it wasn't with 6 council estate girls who all got pregnant :)

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:20 am

KPj wrote:And while i'm at it....

KPj
Hehe TBH I do a lot of stuff infront of the mirror that I don't really need to, but my logic is, if I can, why not? it gives me more "data" :) I can spot my left arm flaring out more etc, obviously it is possible to spot 95% without a mirror but like I say, may as well..
Of course I will do it without a mirror if it would get in people's way.