Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

stuward

Re: Random crap

Post by stuward » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:42 am

Ironman wrote:Ads were very deceptive at the time. For example, the Fed was raising interest rates. Yet they reported on the ads that the Fed LOWERED the interest rate. I remember looking at a news headline talking about interest rates going up again, and RIGHT below it there was a banner ad, saying "The Fed lowers interest rates again!" An add I remember hearing on the radio said "don't let those talking heads scare you." As in, do not pay any attention to reality, just believe what you WANT to be true. It was one of many moments when I discovered the majority of the human race was dumber than I thought. A lot of people fall for that crap. Some slick salesman tells them what they want to hear, and they go along with it, like total idiots. So you have a bunch of lying corporate $h1t bags, plus about half the US citizens are dumber than a box of rocks. Add a little speculative investment into laundered junk stocks, basically gold-plated turds, and you end up with a giant CF. It boils down to greed and stupidity.
That's marketimg. It's perception that counts, that's what people to respond to. If reality is interferring with the perception you want your market to have, bring in the marketers and sell the opposite story. That's why I always look at advertising and ask myself, "does it make more sense if the truth is the exact opposite of the message"? 9 times out of 10, that's the case.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:10 am

Ironman wrote:Add a little speculative investment into laundered junk stocks, basically gold-plated turds, and you end up with a giant CF. It boils down to greed and stupidity.
Still, I had a glimpse of hope that S&P downgrading the US debt would be the proverbial last drop and Obama would order tanks and bombers to raze rating agencies away.

As usual I'm too much of an optimist.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:38 am

mark74 wrote:
Ironman wrote:Add a little speculative investment into laundered junk stocks, basically gold-plated turds, and you end up with a giant CF. It boils down to greed and stupidity.
Still, I had a glimpse of hope that S&P downgrading the US debt would be the proverbial last drop and Obama would order tanks and bombers to raze rating agencies away.

my wit is not what it used to be, but you have set up a good one here

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:55 am

mark74 wrote:

:laughing3:

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 am

Had an interesting situation with a client recently, and it came to head yesterday.

He's a very successful entrepreneur. Just sold his business to a huge company, and in his words, "has enough money to never have to ever worry about it for the rest of my life". However, his health concerns him, and he wants to be around to enjoy it. Initially I thought I had a "grade A" client on my hands - willing, motivated, prepared to do anything it takes. It soon became obvious that, actually, the reason he joined the gym and got a trainer was to shut his wife up, who was concerned about his weight (and stress) and was nagging him. I emphasised from the start - "personal training is not a miracle. It sets the wheels in motion. If you don't make positive changes outwith the gym, progress will be limited, if at all".

So, he lost a few lbs which was poor progress, but dropped a trouser size which was good. He went on holiday for 2 weeks then came back 7lbs up from his starting weight. He told me last week, to give me a heads up, that he was losing motivation. He felt he needed the program to change to motivate him again. I went away and rattled my brains for a while. I also started training a GP recently so I discuss things like this with him and it's quite helpful, actually. So I told him his next session will be 30 mins extra because we need to have a chat. I was dreading this initially - too "nice" by nature, i think.

I told him changing his program is not going to motivate him. In fact, his program is working amazingly, then highlighted the progress he has made "in" the gym. I just said, "changing this isn't the answer, i'm not willing to do it. The only thing that's going to motivate you is progress. The only thing that's going to allow you to make progress, is you taking your health as seriously as you take your business". I told him the issue was compliance. I also said this was 50% him not complying, and 50% me not giving him the proper strategies to help him comply. To be fair, he agreed, and said the compliance issue was all his fault, but I strongly disagree and told him that. My speech went along the lines of...

...Look, medical professionals use various indicators to determine how likely it is that you are going to drop dead "tomorrow". I should of been this straight with you before, but I wasn't. Now I'm putting all cards on the table. BMI is used, and you're obese. Waste circumference is used, and you're high risk. Waste to hip ratio is also used - and you're high risk. The "type" of fat is also an indicator, and you're high risk, since most of your fat is visceral (he has lean legs, arms, but big "gut" - I explained the significance of all this to him, too). Basically, this means you are a super high risk candidate to drop dead way before you should. This is the reality of your situation. You need to think about your health every day, as if it's a crucial project in work that you need to monitor closely. The fact is it's even more important than any project you may have going on in work just now. You just need to accept it. You're actually living the dream, you've worked hard all your life to build a business and sell it for a lot of money, and it would be tragic if you weren't around to enjoy it. On top of that, if you do happen to drop dead tomorrow, I, as a young strapping 26 year old, need to live with this for the rest of my life. Don't do that to me. Take this seriously.

I sweetened the blow a little by explaining just how much he would lower his "risk" by losing just 14-15lbs, and with 80-90% compliance, this should only take about 6 weeks. This is what will provide motivation..... Progress....

So, I have new strategies for him. I felt terrible before this chat, but felt good afterwards. I actually feel like I can get somewhere with him now. Only time will tell, though. If I can improve how I make my clients "comply", I may just be in this for the long haul. I have made changes to how I try and get him to comply. I've made it as "simple" and hassle free as possible, really. Fingers crossed.

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:51 am

As a follow up to that post, which was actually the reason I posted but I got off course which is unlike me...

Who has an Iphone?

This guy has an Iphone and this is going to be the easiest, most convenient way to track things. The old paper method fails with him. Even being sent the spreadsheet fails but, he has his phone all the time so I've suggested we figure out a way to do this easily on his phone. I'm not exactly an expert with phones, to say the least. I've only just figured out how to hook mine up to email, and use my calender.

Basically his "strategie" is a food log and activity log. I want him doing 60 minutes of NEPA 5 days per week minimum, so he needs to track this.

His food log is actually just "guidelines". I have it in a spread sheet, mon-sun, meal 1-6. If the meal complies to the guidelines, you "tick", if not, "cross", if he misses a meal, "0". Actual fitness "apps" that i've seen, seem way to complicated. I need something simple - tick or cross systems, really, or there's no chance he'll track it.

I am going to do my own research just thought it would be worth seeing if there's any Iphone geeks on here :tongue:

KPj

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 pm

KPj wrote:Who has an Iphone?

This guy has an Iphone and this is going to be the easiest, most convenient way to track things. The old paper method fails with him. Even being sent the spreadsheet fails but, he has his phone all the time so I've suggested we figure out a way to do this easily on his phone. I'm not exactly an expert with phones, to say the least. I've only just figured out how to hook mine up to email, and use my calender.
Is there an exercise journal app for the iPhone that you know of?

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 pm

I'll be visiting Houston in the Spring, so I wondered, "how far is Wichita Falls from Houston?" Looks to be about 8-9 hours, so I guess I will NOT just happen to drop in on Rippetoe's gym.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:48 pm

i'm pretty sure one of the trainers from my gym uses an ipad to log stuff. I'll ask him next time I see him.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:07 pm

kenny,

your speech motivated me, at least until I eat some more of this salami.

Not to be drab, but I need a bette reason than not dieing, unfortunately.
I am donig better, but way below 90% compliance.

And I just got a cell phone 6 months ago, so, yeah, a bit behind the curve. Its not a smart phone. I have never sent a text.

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 pm

KenDowns wrote:
KPj wrote:Who has an Iphone?

Is there an exercise journal app for the iPhone that you know of?
I've never used them but http://jefit.com/ has an online journal, as well as an Android app, and an iPhone app (both apps are listed as free).

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:but I need a bette reason than not dieing, unfortunately.
I use my children as the majority of my reasons/motivation. I simply can't stand the thought of me teaching my 4 and 5 year old to shorten their life expectancy through the sheer laziness that I've been over the past 8 or so years. It's why I've quit smoking cigarettes, drinking 5 - 15 cans of soda a day, and beginning my exercise routine. Next, it's getting the food intake under control, which has already started but not completely under lock.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:15 pm

Grandkids! I want to be around for their weddings and their kids. I'd like to teach my grand children and my great-grand children to lift.

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:54 pm

haha! That'd be awesome. Great Grandpa teaching some youngins how to push a bar up! :headbang:

uggy
Novice
Novice

Post by uggy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:37 am

Just found [1 million dollars] in my pocket.