Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Random crap

Post by nickp320 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:10 pm

I wrote:we're always joking around, so I decide to go on there and put a question along the lines of "Will you ever find the man of your dreams?" Put in my quarter, stepped on the scale,
I did it as a "haha" stupid joke amongst friends. I personally like women. Guess I should have clarified that in my first post lol.

And I haven't been around long enough to know whether you are joking around or are actually trying to insult me.... :scratch:

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Why would presuming you were gay be an insult?

I understand now that you are a fat lover of women.

And, yes, you have not been around long enough
I'm pretty sure Oscar is always typing with tongue in cheek, just the way you like it.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:46 am

Think I'm gonna try out this one.

nickp320
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickp320 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:34 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Why would presuming you were gay be an insult?

I understand now that you are a fat lover of women.

And, yes, you have not been around long enough
I'm pretty sure Oscar is always typing with tongue in cheek, just the way you like it.

No I did not take it as an insult, my reasoning was, again I haven't been around for long. So it seemed plausible that the sense of hostility from your post stemmed from thinking I was gay, ala some homophobia on your part. Trust me I've seen some really bad people like that in the past. As opposed to making that assumption, and trying to pick some sort of fight and possibly ruining my involvements on the forums (which I already really like in the short time I've been here), I decided to just state I was a fat lover of women and possibly diffuse the situation.

That being said I diffused nothing, you trolling mo'fo. :green:

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:34 am

was training with a big canadian powerlifter guy called Mike. He noticed my hockey ball I use for soft tissue work and said:

"Is that a lacrosse ball?"
"Na mate, it's a hockey ball."
"A hockey ball?"

funny as anything, he couldn't get his head round it at all

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:05 am

So... got a cake to build commissioned by my Dad for his golf club that he presides over. I guess they are celebrating football season coming up soon. They want a half sheet cake with a football field on it with the high school and college emblems on each side and another with a football on it. I'm going to put field goal posts on the football field one and a 3-D football on a kickoff tee made out of rice crispies and covered in fondant for the other.

I've never been trained in decorating and usually that is no problem at all. Really, when I do anything in life , I do very well because I just throw caution to the wind and get at it. That 'just do it' attitude has helped me excel in just about every facet of my life. But...

that was when it was just on me, on my reputation, and my ability to just naturally pick things up. This now, is my Dad and in front of all of his friends and golf mates. This is just not my reputation on the line.

I'm just having trouble finding that 'just do it' or 'throw caution to the wind' type attitude at the moment. It's a sort of strange feeling, cause I don't feel it often.

*sigh*

If anything, thanks for reading and letting me vent.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:21 am

Egads.

I have this tree in my back yard that is pulling up out of the ground due to the wet weather. Also a black walnut in the front. Turns out black walnuts are poison machines and there is little you can grow near them.

So I hired a tree service to take out both of them while I was on vacation. Friend of mine from Church, very professional and great work.

So what happens?

The dangerously leaning tree is just fine, but the black walnut pulls right up out of the ground and falls over. I'm on vacation so my neighbor has to pay a tree service to get some stuff off his lawn, and when my tree service shows up they say, "um, this is not what we were supposed to find, we'll wait for Ken to get back."

So the one I was afraid would fall is still leaning back there, and now I'm going to have to settle up with my neighbor for the rock-steady tree that *did* fall.

Egads I say.

GTO
Novice
Novice

Post by GTO » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:56 am

One of my dogs is getting fat, time to start some evening runs again, get that puppy back in shape. (I too love my dogs)
Vacations at the beach are great, the doms on the workouts when you get back, not so much.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:48 pm

jlmoss wrote:So... got a cake to build commissioned by my Dad for his golf club that he presides over. I guess they are celebrating football season coming up soon. They want a half sheet cake with a football field on it with the high school and college emblems on each side and another with a football on it. I'm going to put field goal posts on the football field one and a 3-D football on a kickoff tee made out of rice crispies and covered in fondant for the other.

I've never been trained in decorating and usually that is no problem at all. Really, when I do anything in life , I do very well because I just throw caution to the wind and get at it. That 'just do it' attitude has helped me excel in just about every facet of my life. But...

that was when it was just on me, on my reputation, and my ability to just naturally pick things up. This now, is my Dad and in front of all of his friends and golf mates. This is just not my reputation on the line.

I'm just having trouble finding that 'just do it' or 'throw caution to the wind' type attitude at the moment. It's a sort of strange feeling, cause I don't feel it often.

*sigh*

If anything, thanks for reading and letting me vent.

I know you'll rise to the occasion. Post a picture.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:42 pm

KenDowns wrote:Egads.

I have this tree in my back yard that is pulling up out of the ground due to the wet weather. Also a black walnut in the front. Turns out black walnuts are poison machines and there is little you can grow near them.

So I hired a tree service to take out both of them while I was on vacation. Friend of mine from Church, very professional and great work.

So what happens?

The dangerously leaning tree is just fine, but the black walnut pulls right up out of the ground and falls over. I'm on vacation so my neighbor has to pay a tree service to get some stuff off his lawn, and when my tree service shows up they say, "um, this is not what we were supposed to find, we'll wait for Ken to get back."

So the one I was afraid would fall is still leaning back there, and now I'm going to have to settle up with my neighbor for the rock-steady tree that *did* fall.

Egads I say.
I know you'll rise to the occasion. Post a picture

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:44 pm

GTO wrote:One of my dogs is getting fat, time to start some evening runs again, get that puppy back in shape. (I too love my dogs)
Vacations at the beach are great, the doms on the workouts when you get back, not so much.
I know he'll rise to the occasion. Post a picture

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:18 pm

KenDowns wrote:Egads.

So what happens?

Egads I say.
Oo, oo. Save the wood from the black walnut, have it milled and make something beautiful out of it. Or else send it (the wood) to me.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:01 am

Oscar, here is a picture.

Doc, not to worry. The main trunk is about 15-20' long before it trifurcates. The limbs above the trifurcation will go into the fireplace, the main trunk I'm going to cut into two 8' pieces.

Then it's time to find a mill somewhere around here that will make it into something useful. It will all depend on transport and milling costs. There is a general misconception that black walnut commands a very high price, but this is not generally true of single specimens in residential areas. If I can find a mill that will transport it and give me some milled work in exchange for keeping the rest themselves I'd be happy.

You can have as much of it as you want, assuming I end up with anything useful.
Attachments
tree1.JPG
tree1.JPG (144.11 KiB) Viewed 3508 times

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:46 am

Wow. That looks like a real mess.

If you can find someone with a portable sawmill, he could come to you, and I'll bet the costs would be a lot lower. Problem is that some portable mills use a chain saw, and it wastes more wood in total, but that probably wouldn't be a big loss to you. Of course, then you'd have to plane the boards, and if you don't have a big planer.... But once you had a few boards instead of a whole trunk, taking them somewhere to have them planed would be a whole lot easier. I'm seeing nice table tops, coffee tables, etc.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:54 am

Some mills don't like doing residential trees because there's a good chance that at some point in it's 100 year life, some kid has buried a big nail in that tree and that can cause damage to saw blades.