Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Random crap

Post by robertscott » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:45 pm

when I was walking home from the gym today in the rain, on my street there was a guy lying in the gutter. I asked him if he was ok, and he asked if I'd help him up, which I did.

The guy was clearly drunk, as opposed to infirm, and I propped him up against a car, making sure he wasn't about to just keel over again. He thanked me for my help, and I went on my way.

Is there something else I should've done? I can't help but feel that there was. He didn't need an ambulance, and I doubt a taxi would've taken him (and from the looks of the guy he probably didn't have any money anyway), but is there something else I could've done I've not thought of?

I've never been the kind of guy just to walk on by someone like that. I like to think if it was me in the gutter then someone'd help me. I couldn't leave him lying in a puddle on the road. He'd have died of hypothermia.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:41 pm

robertscott wrote:Is there something else I should've done?
asked the owner of the car if he minded the dirty drunk leaning against it?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:12 am

robertscott wrote:when I was walking home from the gym today in the rain, on my street there was a guy lying in the gutter. I asked him if he was ok, and he asked if I'd help him up, which I did.

The guy was clearly drunk, as opposed to infirm, and I propped him up against a car, making sure he wasn't about to just keel over again. He thanked me for my help, and I went on my way.

Is there something else I should've done? I can't help but feel that there was. He didn't need an ambulance, and I doubt a taxi would've taken him (and from the looks of the guy he probably didn't have any money anyway), but is there something else I could've done I've not thought of?

I've never been the kind of guy just to walk on by someone like that. I like to think if it was me in the gutter then someone'd help me. I couldn't leave him lying in a puddle on the road. He'd have died of hypothermia.
You did the right thing. You didn't just walk by and leave him. If he would have been unconscious, or wounded, you would have called an ambulance or the police or something. But he was able to speak for himself, and you helped him with just what he asked for. Good on ya.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:31 am

Hmm yea, depending on the state of him the taxi would be my main thought in case he was a fair bit out (i.e. he got a bus in for an hour) but who knows, like you say maybe most taxis wouldnt have taken him especially if they werent sure of his funds.

Rather than post again..
What's with omega 3/fish oils saying dont exceed stated dose (1 a day)? you don't see that on a portion of salmon, so why on the pill form of the fat from them?
Just curious really, I'm taking 3 a day at the moment quite religiously and am 99% confident it's just to cover their bases incase someone complains of being.....runny... and blames the tablets.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:10 am

what can I say? I'm a latter day robin hood. Bobby Hood. I like it.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:33 am

RobertB wrote:...Rather than post again..
What's with omega 3/fish oils saying dont exceed stated dose (1 a day)? you don't see that on a portion of salmon, so why on the pill form of the fat from them?
Just curious really, I'm taking 3 a day at the moment quite religiously and am 99% confident it's just to cover their bases incase someone complains of being.....runny... and blames the tablets.
The ones I have at home say the dose is 3/day and there is no obvious warning on the bottle about exceeding that. It sound like defensive labeling. Perhaps there are legislative requirements in your country. The can of sardines I just ate had the equivelant of about 6 capsules in it.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 am

Anyone came across Vipr training? It's the new zumba...

pffffffffff

:scratch:

Very functional.... "just by tossing around this stick of plastic, you will MELT the fat off your body faster than any other form of exercise ever known to anyone in the world!!!! Just look at Jesse, she dropped 40 dress sizes and all she did was attend 4 Vipr classes. SIGN UP NOW! DON'T MISS OUT!!" .... Hold on till I get my pen, so I can stab myself in the neck with it.

I've had 2 other trainers ask me if i'm "taking the course"....... Don't they know me at all?? Since i've started training people, i've not jumped on one single fad or bandwagon. We just lift,get stronger, get better. I'm not a TRX guy, i'm not a kettlebell guy, i'm not a zumba guy, and i'm certainly not a Vipr guy*.

*Should say I like TRX bands, and would probably use them if they were available in the gym. I wouldn't buy them, though. Same for kettlebells. Would love a rack of kettlebells actually but, I wouldn't go buy 10 sets of 4KG kettlebells, turn it into a bootcamp, and mention the word "strength" in the ad text.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:42 am

Definately something for people with more money than brains.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:53 am

you rang?

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:55 am

Wow I'd never seen it before but I found this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHnnerliCM4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you have to watch it. It's supposed to be an advert showing how cool it is, but it's more like a really, REALLY bad, and kinda homoerotic, music video with a Vipr theme.

As for TRX, apart from inverted rows, I think they're a bit meh. If I was going to buy some I'd buy rings instead, purely because they look loads cooler.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:07 pm

haha! That's amazing!! I "lol'd" at the opening line, "to the uninitiated, it's just a tube!" LOL. Initiate me! All I can see is a tube!

You know, my "favourite" movement with them used to be the one where you move it from side to side. I thought it was extremely innovative. However, at about 1:30 in that video, i've found a new favourite, and i've named it the Vipr Scoop Slam. He clearly scoop slams it. All it needs is a Hogan leg drop, pin, count of 3, and we have a new champ in town.

In reality, you can do all those movements without having to invest in a Vipr. I'm pretty sure I do most of them when i'm late in the morning and have lost my keys, frantically looking for them. Or even just tidying up the garden after my nephew has left his usual trail of destruction. I bet loads of people who go to Vipr classes have a really messy garden as well. They could be performing the "cutting edge of fitness" whilst cleaning up.

I'm the same with TRX's. I think they would be "handy". Wouldn't buy them and I wouldn't base a work out on them, though. What i'm getting at that puts me off them is in this video by Martin Rooney, about the "outlawed" over head press. The funniest part for me is the guy waving his little kettlebell, draped in a TRX band lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6P7U176yhI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I'm desperate to share that vipr video on my FB but it's just too controversial due to the other trainers that i'm friends with. I'm still debating as to whether they will pick up on my real intentions if I just lace it with sarcasm i.e. "Get JACKED, get SWOLE, Get ViPR!"

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Well, The Vipr -thing kinda looks like a bazooka, so it must be effective. I'll give them that. And you can toss it and smack each other with it, which makes it super effective. Seems legit.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:32 pm

It's not just a tube. It's a $300 tube. A $5 sandbag would be more effective.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:42 pm

cool. I'm guaranteed a job.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/10- ... 49193.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 am

lol at the tube video - I really really want to film a video response with me and a friend with something else like a manakin in our hands - have to conceed that im 98% likely not to do it tho.