Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Random crap

Post by robertscott » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:09 am

a kid just came into my shop and asked if I had any whey protein which "wasn't for mass." I sold him the same whey as everyone else.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:20 am

another musing I've had today, (not much happening at work this afternoon) is:

how many times have you been asked in the gym "How do I get big [insert bodypart here]?" Even if you're not at the stage of development where you get asked, you've probably seen noobs talking to bigger guys asking how they build their chest or whatever.

Well my musing is thus - why do you never hear anyone ask what the big guys EAT? I met a guy the other day who was a competing bodybuilder, and the guy was enormous. Circus freak enormous. We spent a while chatting about nutrition and gave me the run down of what he eats in a day. It was breathtaking! You honestly wouldn't believe how much food this guy eats.

It's all well and good asking some guy with a big chest how he trains for it, but if you don't copy his nutrition too then you ain't gonna grow.

I think working in a supplement shop's making me cynical. I swear I'm going to murder the next skinny kid that comes in looking for a fat burner.

So end my musings. For now.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:33 pm

I have a stomach flu, but I thought I ate something wrong and needed to puke.
But I couldn't puke, so I did it bulimic patient style: Fingers in throat.

It's actually not that easy, first you have to stick your fingers in your throat (obviously).
But your tongue protects your throat, so you have to really stick your tongue out.
But if you pull your fingers out too soon, you'll just heave.
You have to keep your fingers in place while you are heaving.

I don't understand how they can keep doing it, it really sucks.

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:19 am

robertscott wrote:a kid just came into my shop and asked if I had any whey protein which "wasn't for mass." I sold him the same whey as everyone else.
"Can you even get as big as that without steroids or those protein shakes?"

I should have someone ask me that, or something along those lines, as I'm about to do a deadlift or power clean - I could add 20% to my lift from rage.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:35 am

robertscott wrote:how many times have you been asked in the gym "How do I get big [insert bodypart here]?"

My standard answer is, "Eat more and deadlift." You should see the looks on their faces. :cheers:

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:02 am

hehe, people hate it when the answer to their question is train legs. Always disappoints them.

Some kids the other day asked me how to get a big chest. I have no idea why because I don't have one. Anyway, they'd done about a million sets of cable crossovers. I told them dumbell presses are the best way to build the chest, they thanked me and went back to doing more cable crossovers. Why ask if you're not going to listen?

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Jason Nunn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:11 am

robertscott wrote: Why ask if you're not going to listen?
I learned this a while back. When people are asking for advise, they are really wanting you to agree with them. Not actually correct them.

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:08 am

Jason Nunn wrote:
robertscott wrote: Why ask if you're not going to listen?
I learned this a while back. When people are asking for advise, they are really wanting you to agree with them. Not actually correct them.
Sometimes I just agree with them to get rid of them quicker....

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:14 am

ya, it's a sad state of affairs. To be honest though, we were probably the exact same when we started out

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:18 pm

robertscott wrote:
1. Some kids the other day asked me how to get a big chest.

2. I have no idea why because I don't have one.

3. Anyway, they'd done about a million sets of cable crossovers.

4. I told them dumbell presses are the best way to build the chest,

5. They thanked me and went back to doing more cable crossovers.

6. Why ask if you're not going to listen?
Oscar wrote: See #2
:pirate:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:44 pm

robertscott wrote:Why ask if you're not going to listen?
Doctors have dealt with this for years!

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:27 am

robertscott wrote:ya, it's a sad state of affairs. To be honest though, we were probably the exact same when we started out
Nah I'd listen, on one condition - it wasn't f***ing lunges.

My mortal gym enemy.... /rant

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:51 am

I forgot how valuable lower body is to upper body problems. As you will know i'm sorting out my shoulder just now. Currently it's much better. Throughout the day i'll feel the elbow, shoulder and neck on my right side just stiffen up, get a little achy. 10 mins of various things and I can loosen it all up, will just take some more consistency to really fix it. It's actually rarely sore but I still can't rotate as much from the neck on that side (although, once I've mobilised the shoulder and t-spine, I can) and will still consider it "screwed" until that's fixed.

Anyway, I didn't really have time lastnight to do all the mobilisations etc I have set out for it before I train, and it was a lower body day anyway, so done a quick general warm up and got to it. Before hand it just felt really tight and restricted and I could tell my neck had locked up. The workout was - Rack pulls, DB Reverse Lunges, Pall of Press, Pull throughs. I don't know at what point this happened but, somewhere a long the lines, everything felt great. Even right now, I have the rotation I need in my neck (the neck thing, as well as shoulder internal rotation, is a good marker of how locked up everything is).

I did do a few rotations as fillers between sets but, not many. Not as much as usual.

So, what gives? I don't really know but I do have various theories. In the rack oulls and Reverse Lunges, I had to hold on to heavy weights. This just fires all the stabilisers of the shoulder up, albeit, reactively (which is really what they're for). Where you lack ROM, you lack stability elsewhere therefore, get at the stability, and you open up the ROM in a lot/most cases.

Then there's the connections between the shoulder and opposing hip. Funnily enough it's the right shoulder giving me issues, but the left hamstring I tore (i've also previously tore an adductor on that side, too). That left side is more locked up than the right. Improve the left hip, both by going through a full ROM plus firing up all the hip stabilisers, and it makes sense for the right shoulder to feel better from that, too. Could be one of these, or a bit of both.

It makes me think back to my first serious shoulder injury. 9months I wasted. It would feel like I could start training every 3 months or so, but I would do something stupid and end up back at square one. In total, it was about 9 months out, and legs didn't even get a second thought.

Quite interesting, really.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:41 am

have you tried getting a massage for your shoulder kenny?

My shoulder was hurting like hell last week but a massage sorted it right out. Was no fun at all at the time, never been in so much pain!

if you don't have a guy in Kilmarnock that you can use I can give you the number for a guy in Glasgow, he's really good.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:49 am

Shamefully, I can get a massage from a woman in my gym for [1 million dollars] (over %50 discount). She's actually good - any massage therapist that owns and uses a PVC pipe for her own soft tissue work, generally knows her stuff. I've sent quite a lot of people to her. I actually love her, every time I speak to her, she tells me I need to believe in myself, realise my potential, etc etc, so it's always a nice ego boost, too, lol.

But, yeh, i've not been yet :scratch: . I want to say it's a time issue but in reality it's a planning issue. As it turns out, I got told about 4 weeks ago that I had 15 days annual leave to take before the end of the year or else I lose them, so I have more time now. Physio (i need to get back for the follow up on the hamstring) plus massage is on the cards. In fact I may try and get a massage on Monday.

When I get my baseball into the posterior shoulder and pec minor, it feels fantastic, and increases my ROM by about 3000%. Then I do some Tspine rotations, and it clears up my neck (without actually doing anything to it). Problem is the usual - why does it happen? It just locks up again by the next day. However I think the route of the issue is posture at work/day job and driving, when i'm always rotated slightly to the left. This was a big problem for me years ago, and I just got obsessed enough to make enough corrections throughout the day, plus add enough healthy stuff to counter it. Recently, though, i've let both ends of that slip.

I know a real massage will have a more lasting effect, though. In fact i've been inspired and will aim to get one beginning of next week :D !

KPj